Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Paradise Roasters
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jeanboucher
jeanboucher
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Zach & Dani's & Fresh Roast...
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2004, 5:25am
Subject: Re: Paradise Roasters

More then 2 weeks old coffee beans

jeanboucher: vita.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://www.magicien.biz
http://www.1funnymagician.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Providence

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium, La Valentina
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Capresso Team
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2004, 8:05am

Paradise Roasters - just received my second order.  This time I ordered the Indian Mysore Nuggets and  Espresso Decaf.  Ordered on Wednesday, roasted on Thursday and received on Monday.  Not bad.

The Mysore is excellent .
 View Profile Link to this post
e53er
e53er

Espresso: NS Oscar, Solis SL90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KMB, Hario V60 dripper
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2004, 8:24am

Unfortunately, shipping costs are higher and transit times longer to the West Coast. For either Paradise or Intelligentsia, a 2lb. package via UPS ground shipping or USPS will cost me around $7.
CRUZMISL

Posted Thu Aug 19, 2004, 9:59am

I just received mine today and will report back. Cost me $25 for 2 lbs delivered. I figure I'm going to pay at least $10 /lb locally for potentially inferior beans so I think it's worth the stretch.

Joe
zakglass
zakglass

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Macap M4; Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Mon Sep 6, 2004, 1:08pm

I just got a pound from Paradise. To be honest, I found it a little dissapointing.

The roast is light (as has been amply pointed out), and I prefer darker roasts generally, so that may be part of my problem, but there were a few other nagging details I had trouble with:

- The roast date isn't marked anywhere on the package
- It was shipped in a priority mail envelope instead of a box (less protection for the beans)
- Its a 14oz, not an actual pound (they state this on their site, but still)

Compared to Black Cat or Hairbender, I found it missing a lot of the body and depth I was expecting. Hairbender wasn't my style either, too bright, but you could tell there was an enormous amount of complexity in the layers of the taste; I just couldn't find it anywhere in the Paradise espresso. Also - (maybe related) crema was somewhat lacking compared to what I was able to get with week-old Intelligentsia beans. I can't shake the impression that the beans just smell, taste, and act a bit stale.

If you do end up giving this stuff a try (I'd love to hear other impressions), much cheaper shipping is available on their site directly.

Hope this doesn't qualify as a rant - certainly don't intend it that way, just curious about others' experiences.
MiguelM
MiguelM
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: none any more, Moka Pot...
Grinder: a couple of Bunn's and some...
Vac Pot: dreaming of a Hario
Drip: technivorm, chemex, fetco
Roaster: Ambex 2Kg, Diedrich 12Kg,...
Posted Tue Sep 7, 2004, 8:31am

Hello, This is Miguel from Paradise Roasters. I have been watching this thread for a while and thought I would chime in and answer a few things. First of all thank you to all who have tried our espresso and other coffees. I am sorry to those who were not completely satisfied. On the issue of shipping, we ship all 1 bag orders in USPS flat rate envelopes because it is the cheapest and fastest way to ship that size order. All orders larger than that we ship USPS ground packeged in a box unless requested otherwise. We can ship USPS priority or UPS for those who want ultimate freshness, but you do need to request this option either by phone ordering or by entering you specific instructions in the comments box on our online order form. Our coffee is packaged in 14 oz bags the reason for this is that it is almost impoosible to fit 16 oz of darker roast coffees into the bags we use. So we chose to make all of our coffees 14 oz for consistent packaging. We have not been putting roast dates on our packaging, but we roast everything to order and no coffee is more than 24 hours out of the roaster when it is shipped. 95% of the time the coffee is no more than 4-5 hours out of the roaster at the time we ship it. But if Roast dates are important to people we can consider adding them to our packaging. As for the sensorial expericance of our espresso. Yes it is very light, so those who are used to dark espressos may be a bit shocked when they first try our blend. Some have welcomed this change in taste while lovers of  darker roasts may not find it exactly to their liking. I am surprised to hear crema production was a problem for some as we typically find this blend to produce a very nice crema. Thank You again everyone who has tried our coffees. If any one has any questions I will be more than happy to answer them.
zakglass
zakglass

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Macap M4; Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Tue Sep 7, 2004, 2:50pm

Miguel -

First off - I sincerely - and a bit sheepishly - apologize for my post. I regretted it as soon as it was up there, as (of course) the first person to come to with this impression is you.

I've continued to work with the espresso roast, and like it more now. It is a quite different taste than I am used to, much more subtle flavors.

MiguelM Said:

On the issue of shipping, we ship all 1 bag orders in USPS flat rate envelopes because it is the cheapest and fastest way to ship that size order.

Posted September 7, 2004 link

OK - this may be a perception problem then. I opened the envelope with a comparitive bias against the beans, since the packaging was less professional than I am used to. The package did arrive quickly, so I appreciate that.

MiguelM Said:

Our coffee is packaged in 14 oz bags the reason for this is that it is almost impoosible to fit 16 oz of darker roast coffees into the bags we use. So we chose to make all of our coffees 14 oz for consistent packaging.

I understand the need for consistency - maybe its a real cost issue to use two different kinds of packaging. If its not, then I would make sure that you standardize on 16 oz. It makes it much easier to compare cost across vendors. Unless you're buying Lavazza or something, but I digress.

MiguelM Said:

We have not been putting roast dates on our packaging, but we roast everything to order and no coffee is more than 24 hours out of the roaster when it is shipped. 95% of the time the coffee is no more than 4-5 hours out of the roaster at the time we ship it. But if Roast dates are important to people we can consider adding them to our packaging.

For me, roast dates are important. If it wasn't for your statement above, I'd have assumed that beans sealed in a bag with no roast dates are roasted in big batches and sitting on a shelf somewhere. A date stamp on the label would be a great confidence builder, at least for me.

MiguelM Said:

As for the sensorial expericance of our espresso. Yes it is very light, so those who are used to dark espressos may be a bit shocked when they first try our blend. Some have welcomed this change in taste while lovers of  darker roasts may not find it exactly to their liking. I am surprised to hear crema production was a problem for some as we typically find this blend to produce a very nice crema.

The problem here was grind. Paradise needed a much finer grind than anything else I've used to get the 27 second shot, and the attendant crema. This may be characteristic of all light beans, not sure.

I really appreciate your response, and I do apologize for using a public forum to discuss what I likely should have put in an email in the first place. I hope this post clears everything up for all.

-e.
mainbohemian

Espresso: Yes
Grinder: Yes
Vac Pot: Yes
Drip: Yes
Roaster: Yes
Posted Wed Sep 8, 2004, 12:49pm
Subject: USPS Priority

zakglass Said:

OK - this may be a perception problem then. I opened the envelope with a comparitive bias against the beans, since the packaging was less professional than I am used to. The package did arrive quickly, so I appreciate that.

The USPS Flatrate Priority envelope seems to be a decent shipment vehicle for small roasters and coffeegeeks,  because it gets the fresh-roasted beans to us quickly & frugally.
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:32am

MiguelM Said:

As for the sensorial expericance of our espresso. Yes it is very light, so those who are used to dark espressos may be a bit shocked when they first try our blend.

Woah!  You aren't kidding.  I guess I hadn't read up on this blend enough to know it is such a light, sprightly blend.  I just got mine yesterday.  Very good for what it is, but definitely not my thing.  It was, however, extremely fresh and smelled up my entire kitchen with incredible aroma!
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:13am
Subject: Paradise Roasters Customer Service

When I had ordered Paradise Espresso from their website, my order confirmation I printed off showed a total charge of $8.95 (including shipping).  However, when I received the coffee, the invoice showed a charge of $4.95 for shipping.  

I e-mailed Paradise Roasters concerning the discrepancy.  After a bit of mix-up in communications, Deb Meza (owner of Paradise Roasters) phoned me personally to apologize for the mix-up and for the discrepancy in billing.  It was handled kindly and professionally, and I told her that I most certainly would let this community know of her good customer service.

It seems Paradise Roasters is a smallish outfit but exhibits the mom & pop kindliness we should expect from all companies.  

Thank you, Paradise Roasters.

Just thought I'd let the rest of you know.

--mochamaniac
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335787057877)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+