Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Paradise Roasters' Espresso Classico?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Anfim Self
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Never
Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:07am
Subject: Paradise Roasters' Espresso Classico?

Has anyone tried this? Whaja think?

And that's a cold shot, baby...Yeah that's a drag
 View Profile Link to this post
Bman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 6:26am
Subject: Re: Paradise Roasters' Espresso Classico?

Yes I have tried it.  It is roasted very light.  To me it tasted different, shall we say. I prefer a bit darker roast, to full city.  Their nuevo blend was better to me.

Brad
espresso_yin
espresso_yin

Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:47pm

I just got a fresh bag this Saturday.  Like Bman said, it's roasted very light.  Perhaps it's the fault of my machine or my technique (or both!), but I have yet to pull a shot that I'd say was comparable in complexity and full flavor to Black Cat.  I wish I could be more descriptive but I suspect I still miss a lot of subtlety in my espressos.  In my soy lattes it's very muted, too, where Black Cat shines through.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 8:06pm

I've got some coming tomorrow, and after what you both have said, it will be interesting to see how I like it. I've always preferred the darkish side. I knew this would be lighter, but maybe not as much as you've described. Hmmm...

Pe_tah
Pe_tah
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Isomac Gran Macinino
Vac Pot: Bodum chambord 2 cup french...
Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 8:42pm

This classico blend is very, very flavorful.  It is very bright and complex, and you can pick up on the fruit notes and the sweetness right away.  The aftertaste reminds me of a very light chocolate flavor.  In my opinion, this is one of the best blends I have tasted.  Im sure you will be plesantly surprised.

I have not yet tasted the Black Cat blend, but from what I am picking up from this site, you can't really compare it to Classico.  It is more simlilar to ParadiseRoasters Espresso Nuevo.  But I could be wrong again.

RistrettoBabe, just remember, we all have our opinions.  Try it for yourself and be open-minded about it.  That is, blank out what we said in this thread and fill in the blanks yourself.  I'm sure you'll have a much more insightful experience that way.  Tell us how it tastes!

Peter

Sacramento, CA
www.flickr.com/photos/pe_tah
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:25pm

Pe_tah Said:

RistrettoBabe, just remember, we all have our opinions.  Try it for yourself and be open-minded about it.  That is, blank out what we said in this thread and fill in the blanks yourself.  I'm sure you'll have a much more insightful experience that way.  Tell us how it tastes!

Posted February 15, 2005 link

Peter, you are so right...to each their own! It's very subjective. I will have no problem whatsoever making up my own mind and not being swayed by preconceived notions or les opinions. I'm pretty opinionated and quite sure of what I like and don't like. Just thought it would be interesting to gather a few assessments, find out who's tried it, maybe pick up a tip on tastes to look for in there....while I'm waiting for it to arrive. Give me a week and I'll tell ya how it is for me!

=)  RB

LukeW

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2005, 6:57pm

I read a review of this blend at www.coffeereview.com   I ordered a couple 14oz bags and found that I had to keep making the grind finer and finer to at last get a proper shot.  The taste was just okay.  In milk, it was subtle, not robust as I had hoped.  We drink a lot of latte with a single shot in a regular coffee cup (approc. 6 oz) and this blend just doesn't stand up to the milk.  As a single shot in the small cup, it has nice flavor, but not as rich as Black Cat.  The roast is very even, but more light than I like.
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe

Posted Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:58pm

Thanks guys. I got my coffee yesterday afternoon, but my grinder went weird on me...really uneven, chunky grind on any setting. Must be a bean stuck in there? I cleaned the burrs, area around them, and chute really well, but no better. In the meantime made a pot o' French press w/ it...what else could I do? And it was terrible. I won't be able to assess the beans until I can get that grinder working right.

Boo hoo hoo...I just want my esprehhhhhso!

kathy

ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:45am

ristrettobabe Said:

...my grinder went weird on me...really uneven, chunky grind on any setting

Posted February 17, 2005 link

OK, got that fixed and have been pulling shots. I'm still pretty new at this, and I'm doing what's worked pretty well with other (even storebought) beans, but the shots are both bitter and sour. Any suggestions?

kathy

bolojm
bolojm

Espresso: Isomac Amica (PIDed)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: French Press, on occasion
Roaster: I-roast, unassembled SC/CO
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2005, 6:04am

I have emailed Miguel from Paradise a couple of times, and this is a very finicky blend. Generally, in my experience, the lighter the roast for espresso, the less forgiving it is. Quoted from Miguel:

Yes the Classico can be a little finicky and sour if not properly dialed in. I find best results with ristrettos of about 3/4 - 7/8 oz. in 23-25 seconds using 18+ grams of coffee and a course grind. This tends to produce an espresso with a richer fruit taste and milder acidity. I don't have a PID myself so I can't comment with absolute athority on temp but others have informed me that it works well at 202-203 degrees. Hope this is of some help.

I had cranked up the temperature on my PIDed Amica, (about 202 degrees) but still the shots were sour. I have some more on order, and plan to play with it again. It is a challenge, but I am up for it! I'll post my results as soon as I can.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286253929138)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+