Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Barista Jams Around the World
Congrats to Michael Phillips, USBC Champ and former 'home barista' !
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > Congrats to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 9, 2009, 4:26pm
Subject: Congrats to Michael Phillips, USBC Champ and former 'home barista' !

Big congrats to Michael Phillips of Intelligentsia Chicago for his excellent performance at the USBC. Also big congrats to Nick Griffith and Scott Lucey and the others for their amazing performances. And a sad note, my fave Phuong Tran didn't make it into the finals, but she looked awesome in her performance as well.

For those who don't know, Mike Phillips was a home barista who hung around on CoffeeGeek back in the day (2005ish), and now he's the best barista in the US!

I hope this doesn't embarrass him too much, but here's Mike's first post on CoffeeGeek.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JCunningham
JCunningham

Espresso: black cat
Grinder: robur or whatever works
Vac Pot: cory
Drip: yesplease
Roaster: GotHot(s)
Posted Tue Mar 10, 2009, 8:46am
Subject: Re: Congrats to Michael Phillips, USBC Champ and former 'home barista' !

Mike Phillips!  Massive Congrats!
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 3:33pm
Subject: USBC champ Mike Phillips on Oprah, this Friday!

This is big news.

Mike Phillips is scheduled to be on Oprah's show on Friday!! O|O

Tune in or tivo it!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 4:25pm
Subject: Re: USBC champ Mike Phillips on Oprah, this Friday!

MarkPrince Said:

This is big news.

Posted March 11, 2009 link

And

MarkPrince Said:

Oprah's

And

MarkPrince Said:

Tune in or tivo it!

This is indeed quite a plight :/
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 6:12pm
Subject: Re: Congrats to Michael Phillips, USBC Champ and former 'home barista' !

Word now is, Mike Phillips appearance on Oprah is delayed. That's a shame :(

I'm excited about this because Oprah tends to pay proper respect to people like this - a lot better than Martha Stewart, who likes to come off as "the expert in the room", at least in the coffee segments I've seen her do.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
schrodingers_cup
schrodingers_cup
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Brewtus
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: Santos
Drip: melitta cone
Roaster: hot top
Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 7:22pm

wow... it is hard to believe how deep memories run in this community.  On another board an old co-worker posted one link to my profile here and another one to the job offer that I responded to from here that landed me in the production department at Intelligentsia.  I love it!   While there are few people who treasure being reminded of "cruising" and poor grammar, I really do value everything I gain from your boards Mark.  I think this is a very valuable forum and an essential part of the world that specialty coffee is developing.  i may not check up on it every day but i still "cruise" the central section once every week or so.  It is hard to believe when I think about my old days surfing for info on surfing that I would now work in a shop that sells GS3s right off the shelf...  Thanks for the shout out Mark.  You do good work.

~Mp
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:03pm

Thanks Mike - yeah, I saw Mike's post on coffeed - he has an even deeper memory than I do lol!

So any word on the Oprah thing yet? Are they asking you to bring a 1,000 lbs of coffee to give away too? Mike Ferguson reminded me recently of how Bronwen was supposed to go  on Ellen after the 2004 USBC, and was asked to bring the espresso machine, grinder, and 500lbs of coffee. Then they cancelled the interview :( Meanwhile, I can just picture John Sanders going nuts to get 500lbs of coffee roasted up in time for the show.

Cheers

Mark
PS... I'd seriously wet my pants if there was a shoutout to the CoffeeGeek community on Oprah, especially since Doug left us nameless, saying "coffee enthusiast website" :( :( (Beata LUVS Oprah, can't wait to watch).

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Barista Jams > Congrats to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233803033829)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+