Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Dunkin' Donuts
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Dunkin' Donuts  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dramajoy
dramajoy
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro Burr (red)
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2004, 3:33pm
Subject: Dunkin' Donuts

Its plain and simple....I am addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee!  Every day I drop off the kids at school and then race to my neighborhood Dunkin Donuts to pick up my large French Vanilla with just cream....They usually have it ready for me by the time I approach the counter.  I've reached the decision, after some prodding by my husband, that I should probably look into some quality equipment and start brewing from home....which over time would probably save us a bundle.  From the information I have gathered on this website, it looks as if the Technivorm Auto Drip and the Solis Maestro grinder are a good start, is this true? And, does it matter what type of beans I use as well???  I don't think I'm ready to start roasting from home...yet.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to duplicate the taste of my favorite Dunkin Donut concoction!  Thank you!
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2004, 6:46pm
Subject: Re: Dunkin' Donuts

You will not be able to recreate the Dunkin Donuts experience at home.  But that is not bad news.  What you will make is far better coffee!

There is no one best brewer.  It depends on your taste.  I am a French press person so I like the Bodum French presses.  Many do, but not everyone loves French press.

The grinder is critical. Especially for Espresso, but also important to drip or press.  I swear by the Solis Maestro Plus for press coffee.  There are good alternatives to this grinder if you are only making drip coffee too.  The paper filters are more forgiving to the grind because they catch the smaller particles and the coffee oils.  Many also feel it to be a less flavorful cup.  It is personal preference though.

Yes beans matter!  They are the core of the coffee.  Every bean is different, sometime radically different based on its origin of growth, how it was processed, the crop it was in and the lot in arrives in.  Everything matters when it comes to beans.  There are a lot of different beans out there and they are all very different.

Do not be under the assumption that home roasting is hard.  In fact anyone can do it and meet some degree of success.  The best part is that home roasting is the only sure fire way to have the freshest possible beans every time.

I am sorry that I cannot create the Dunkin Donuts coffee that you desire, but with time and a small investment I am sure you will find something much better!  Some day you may even become a geek like us!

Here is some more information:
Coffee Brewing Methods
Coffee Grinding
Home Roasting

Do me a favor though and disregard the comment that French press requires a larger grind than drip.  That is untrue.  When you grind larger the grind becomes less even and the cup will have sludge.  I have the Solis Maestro Plus and grind four clicks finer than the "drip" setting.  Works like a charm...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
expobar

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 6:15am

She just wants flavored coffee!  

Why not brew regular coffee via Tim's suggestion, then add French Vanilla syrup?

http://www.monin.com/us/en/index.html
http://www.torani.com/
Oscars, Stirling, others make it.
dramajoy
dramajoy

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 2:40pm

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate your suggestions!  French vanilla is my favorite at D&D, however I like all their coffee.  I don't like Starbucks or Caribou.  I don't care for the syrups since they seem to add too much sweetness.  I started drinking D&D decaf when I was pregnant with my first because it was the only coffee that seemed to satisfy the urge for caffein.  After my kids were born and I kept going to D&D I graduated to the caffeinated and haven't stopped...Fr. Vanilla, Hazelnut, whatever.

Does anyone know whether the technivorm would make comparable coffee to D&D?  

How 'bout the Solis Maestro grinder?  

Thanks!
Joy
expobar

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 2:48pm

Tell you the truth, the first time I read this, I thought it was a complete joke.  Now, it seems, you're serious.  No offense intended.

You're wanting to brew flavored coffee with great machines.  Why?  Great machines and great grinders are made to extract all the flavor of coffee you can.  You need peak temps and brew times for plain, black, untainted coffees.  You really don't for flavored.  

Why? you may ask.  Simple.  The coffee bean is just a vehicle for the flavor in brewing.  There is no "Hazelnut" or "French Vanilla" coffee tree.  People take warm coffee and pour small amounts of flavor on to the beans.  

I'm not big on flavored coffee, but I really see no point in it.

I would say that you should save yourself time and money, and get a cheap burr grinder (I have a Melitta I got for $20) and a cheap coffee maker (I have a Melitta we got for free from Gevalia, I've seen some at Target for $10)

I'm probably sounding fairly cocky and arrogant right now, but I really see no point in buying 300 dollars worth of equipment to brew a lame excuse for coffee.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 3:15pm

expobar Said:

I'm probably sounding fairly cocky and arrogant right now, but I really see no point in buying 300 dollars worth of equipment to brew a lame excuse for coffee.

Posted November 19, 2004 link

No need to be so harsh, young man.  (:-o)
Not everyone is as fanatical as we are you know....

Bottom line is any decent coffee maker that uses a paper filter and a whirly-blade grinder should do the trick for this nice person.  Also a pourover Melitta cone and a thermal carafe works great (that's how I make drip coffee at home).  Total investment ~$30

As a suggestion coffeedrama could get French-Vanilla flavored beans at the grocery store and grind them "fresh" for each pot.  That should come pretty close to replicating the D&D brew.  If it's lacking for you then maybe step up to the Technivorm or better yet the "Melitta Clarity" (CLICK HERE to SEE one) for a more reasonable cost alternative to get a better brewing temperature.  

I hope that helps.  ;-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
expobar

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 4:44pm

Jon, better yet - get Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla!  That would probably get you closer to replicating the stuff they use.  

and, another "better yet" - instead of a cheap whirley-blade, why not get a cheap burr grinder?  I have a $20 melitta that would work just fine for grinding flavored "coffees" for use as drip coffee.
dramajoy
dramajoy

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 7:28pm

Thanks Jon.  I think I might go ahead and order that Technivorm. I do enjoy flavored coffees, that's true.  But if I'm going to start brewing from home now, I would like to try different blends as well.  I've also done some research into where the coffee beans come from and just realized how diverse their origins are!  Is there any one region in the world where I can be sure I'm getting a quality bean?  Do they really differ from where they're grown?  Is there a good online site you can recommend where I can purchase coffee?

I DO enjoy a fine cup of coffee in addition to my simple D&D french vanilla (my friend said to tell you all I AM blonde). My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at one of Chicago's finer gourmet restaurants and had the most AWESOME cup of...get this....plain ole "regular" coffee!  I guess we all gotta start somewhere :)

Hey, gimme about a year and I'll bet I become just as much of a coffeegeek as the rest of you. LOL.
Clark

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 7:48pm

dramajoy Said:

Is there any one region in the world where I can be sure I'm getting a quality bean?

Nope, afraid not.  There is almost always a huge amount of variation of quality within countries and even regions.  Your best bet is to order beans that have be cupped (tasted) by a professional and have been given a very high rating so you know they're top quality.

dramajoy Said:

Do they really differ from where they're grown?

Oh yeah!  There are huge differences between coffees of different origins.  Really, they taste completely different.

dramajoy Said:

Is there a good online site you can recommend where I can purchase coffee?

If you're interested in purchasing green coffee Sweetmarias.com is one of the best.  I really doubt you're ready for home roasting yet though.  Your best bet is to find a good local roaster.  If you want to go online, maybe try Intelligentsia they have a fine selection and offer great service.

dramajoy Said:

Hey, gimme about a year and I'll bet I become just as much of a coffeegeek as the rest of you. LOL.

I'll give you 2 months =)
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2004, 7:54pm

dramajoy Said:

Thanks Jon.  I think I might go ahead and order that Technivorm.

You're welcome Joy.  The Tchnivorm is a great machine for sure.  I still think the Clarity does the same thing for ~$30.  (I have been strongly considering a Clarity myself for our office)

dramajoy Said:

I do enjoy flavored coffees, that's true.  But if I'm going to start brewing from home now, I would like to try different blends as well.  I've also done some research into where the coffee beans come from and just realized how diverse their origins are!  Is there any one region in the world where I can be sure I'm getting a quality bean?  

Well, no.  Sorry.  The origin doesn't guarentee a great bean.
BUT you can get great beans from great suppliers.  There is a remarkable difference in the different varieties, and different people favor different coffees.

I'd suggest going to www.sweetmarias.com and reading some reviews.  They mainly sell the unroasted coffee for home roasters like me but the descriptions are excellent to give you an idea of the different characteristics.  

dramajoy Said:

Do they really differ from where they're grown?  Is there a good online site you can recommend where I can purchase coffee?

Here's an awesome spot practically in your backyard:   Intelligentsia

And to answer your question, yes, there are HUGE differences in the different origin coffees.  I favor the darker, full-body coffees like those from Yemen, Ethiopia, and Tanzania.  I also like the velvety smooth body of a nice Guatemalan Antigua (it's generally lighter in body than a Yemen but can have lovely floral notes in the aftertaste especially as the cup cools slightly).  

dramajoy Said:

I DO enjoy a fine cup of coffee in addition to my simple D&D french vanilla (my friend said to tell you all I AM blonde). My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at one of Chicago's finer gourmet restaurants and had the most AWESOME cup of...get this....plain ole "regular" coffee!  I guess we all gotta start somewhere :)

It sounds like you're on your way already!  We will get you roasting your own soon enough (it's easy and cheap and there's no better coffee in the world).  My last 20 pounds have averaged $5/pound green (that's close to $6 per pound roasted).  I use it to make lovely espresso shots that are creamy and rich...

In the mean time, there are a number of good online sources for roasted beans.  Check out a local Geek favorite:  www.coffeeemergency.com

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Dunkin' Donuts  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38019490242)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+