Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coffee Thermoses
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee Thermoses  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Polargirl

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:44pm
Subject: Coffee Thermoses

Although the quality of coffee itself has improved dramatically in the last few decades, the quality of coffee thermoses has declined thanks to race to the bottom design strategies.

My husband would like to find something that rivals the old Thermos brand thermoses prior to 1989 when the company that makes Nissan brand bought them out. He is sick of having to settle for cheap metal and plastic garbage that is out there. Many of them leave a nasty smell and some even taste like they have lead in them.

Does anyone know where to buy a coffee thermos that rivals or exceeds preľ1989 Thermos brand mugs? He is willing to pay $100 or more just to have a good thermos he can take to work every night as a truck driver. He ends up spending more than that anyway having to buy coffee at truck stops and drink out of a plastic cup rather than brew his coffee at home and put it in one of those race to the bottom inspired Chinese made thermoses.
 View Profile Link to this post
ronburleson

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:53pm
Subject: Re: Coffee Thermoses

I have an old Stanley that is 25+ years old and is still going strong. I got a thermos from REI about a year ago. It is more compact but holds the same amount of coffee. It keeps it hot all day and then some. It was about $25.00 and I have been very happy with it.

Ron
Polargirl

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:57pm

ronburleson Said:

I have an old Stanley that is 25+ years old and is still going strong. I got a thermos from REI about a year ago. It is more compact but holds the same amount of coffee. It keeps it hot all day and then some. It was about $25.00 and I have been very happy with it.

Ron

Posted April 9, 2014 link

25 years ago, Stanley might have been fine. What can my husband buy today that is of quality? I will look at the REI but I know my husband really longs for that great quality thermos that Thermos and Stanley used to make a few decades ago.

***UPDATE***

I visited REI's website and it shows the very same Stanley mug my husband has and is very unhappy with.
RussK
RussK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 9:16pm

I feel your pain. I have both the new ones and the old Stanleys. The new ones just don't compare.
I picked up a NOS pint size Stanely from an antique store here a while ago, still in the box for about $20.

Take a look at THIS one on EBAY, you may like it.
Polargirl

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 9:45pm

RussK Said:

I feel your pain. I have both the new ones and the old Stanleys. The new ones just don't compare.
I picked up a NOS pint size Stanely from an antique store here a while ago, still in the box for about $20.

Take a look at THIS one on EBAY, you may like it.

Posted April 9, 2014 link

Thank you for the empathy. That looks more like what my husband is interested in. I sent him the link.

Too bad there aren't any made like that today. :(

***UPDATE***

This seler does not look honest. They claim the item is new but the box is opened with all the contents photographed thus in no better condition than new other. They state that the thermos has a scratch and the picture of the user manual has two stains. My husband just won't trust that.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 8:17am

Well,
Long long ago in a land far far away, Thermoses were made of glass. While this is good from a taste standpoint they were very fragile and broke often. Whe Stanley came out with the SS thermos I bought one and was very happy for a long long time until I stopped carrying coffee to work and just made it there.

I strongly suspect that the new Stanley are pretty much the same as the old ones. The do suffer from the trait of developing a "skin" of old coffee oils on the SS. There are cleaners on the market and in the Supermarket that will wisk those away with ease.

Just what trait is it that the hubby does not like about the new Stanley bottles?

To return to the days of yesteryear is not going to happen, you might try the use of an air pot. They are still made from glass and are still easily broken so it is a win/win right? LOL!

Something like this perhaps?
Click Here (www.samsclub.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 9:34am

When you buy the latest Nissan stainless vacuum bottles you need to buy their higher priced line items.  Also don't forget that metal stores heat, so you need to preheat the bottle before you pour in the coffee - many people forget that step.

When I make yogurt I heat my milk up to a temp like 180F, pour it into a preheated Nissan 1L vacuum bottle that's now 25 years old.  In the morning, 7.5 hours later, I'll typically find the milk is about 160-170F.  It's a great performer.  Looks like their 1L carafe without the spout and handle.  I'd get another one if they still sold it.
Pic of carafe attached.  That is available, and uses the same construction as mine, basically the same cap too as I'm using one of those on mine.  (Drop your full vacuum bottle on it's cap and it will break.. Go figure.)

Mine has some pretty good dents in it that show how many glass liners would have been broken.  Paint chipped off on the dents letting in water and causing rust so I stripped it down and have left it bare metal for the last 10 years.

DanoM: Nissan1L.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DrugOfChoice

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Clever...
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 4:52pm

I have the same Nissan/Thermos carafe that DanoM shows above, the TGB1000, and I love it. It's solidly made and keeps the coffee ridiculously hot for a ridiculously long time, if preheated. I scrub it out well with a brush and detergent each day, and periodically let some unscented Oxyclean and hot water sit in it, and I don't notice any off flavors or odors.

Here's a link to Mark Prince's review of the Nissan line: http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/thermosnissan

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 8:41pm

I highly recommend this from LL Bean.

Click Here (www.llbean.com)

If anything, EVER, goes wrong with it or if you simply are not happy, Bean replaces it...Them and Baratza grinder company are the best customer service on earth IMO!  

Regarding the thermos (the important part), it is a very simple vacuum canister made from SS...Not much to say other than simplicity of design and high quality materials yields a good product.  I will say, I'm on my second one--I dropped it when full of liquid on the outer edge of the top cup onto a bunch of sharp rocks.  Nothing broke but I put a dent in the cup/cap.  LL Bean replaced the whole thing.  It's a few bucks more than the Stanley, but totally worth it.
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 1:52am

Was just reading some reviews on Stanley thermoses, OMG- seems again and again people are saying the same thing, they look the same but they are Crap! I hope some day soon manufacturers wake up and realize what a huge mistake they're making in the name of the almighty profit margin. It WILL eventually bite them in the A**.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee Thermoses  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270750999451)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+