Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
As good and as good a value of Redbird Espresso?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > As good and as...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dougiedd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 1:42pm
Subject: As good and as good a value of Redbird Espresso?

I have been going to Jeff for years as his Coffee is not just tasty but a great value: 5 lbs for 50$ and free shipping!
Any other suggestions of those that can compete on taste and value?
I should say I am a cappuccino drinker almost exclusively with only about 15% french press
 View Profile Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 5:41pm
Subject: Re: As good and as good a value of Redbird Espresso?

Check out Fair Mountain Coffee. I did not care for their espresso blend as much as Redbird, but it's still pretty good. I quite enjoy their Ethiopia Yirgacheffe as well, but it is too bright for espresso for my tastes. Makes a fine cup in an aeropress. Low-cost shipping or free with 2+ pounds. Fast service and my order even came with a sample of Costa Rican.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 7:28pm

Yeh Fair Mountain is great on the low end, 2lbs ships free. Espresso is a bit darker than most but you can request it more medium etc, their single origins are so good. Metropolis does free shipping over $50 as does Paradise I think? But 5lbs of either will cost more. Not sure of anyone that has 5lb pricing and shipping Jeff does at around $50.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 8:20pm

CMIN Said:

Espresso is a bit darker than most but you can request it more medium.

Posted April 1, 2014 link

I'll have to try that out, I'm almost ready to re-order. A medium-dark roast like Redbird would probably taste much better (for me). Metropolis is on my shortlist of roasts to try, too.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:20pm

Recently I have been getting my coffee from Bodka Coffee. Excellent prices and well roasted.

http://www.bodkacoffee.com/

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:57pm

sweaner Said:

Recently I have been getting my coffee from Bodka Coffee. Excellent prices and well roasted.

http://www.bodkacoffee.com/

Posted April 3, 2014 link

I would like to second that recommendation.  This morning on the NS Oscar for the wife I pulled a Main Squeeze espresso, and for me it was the Guatemalan SO espresso.  Medium roasts.  Lots of hazelnut in the nose.  Easy to dial in, especially the Main Squeeze.  Prices are affordable too.  The beans from Bodka also work beautifully with milk drinks - just thought I'd throw that in too.  $5 flat rate shipping.

I really like today's Guatemalan SO.  If I pull it at about 91c and a tight ristretto on my La Pavoni it comes out amazingly sweet.  Rich notes, lots of crema, all around one of the nicest ristrettos I've pulled in a while.

Unfortunately for Redbird I've shifted to Bodka Coffee recently for most of my orders, but I'll be back to Redbird for an order soon enough.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > As good and as...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242926836014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+