Coffee: Questions and Answers
What am I missing here?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What am I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JDub

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 10:43pm
Subject: What am I missing here?

I have been drinking coff like an average person for 20+ years.  A drip coffe maker and pre ground coffe.  I usually drink a 12 cup pot or more a day and I rarley go to coffee shops because the coffee is too weak for my taste.  For example if I go to starbucks I have to add 2 shots of espresso to a house coffee to make it drinkable for me.  I always drink my coffee black.

I decided to get a cheap grinder and try grinding my own beans (if this worked out I would buy a better grinder) because I have always read that it makes for a stronger and more flavorful cup.  I have found the exact opsite to be true.  I have wasted about 15oz of beans today trying to make a cup of coffee that I can stand to drink more then one cup of.  So far it seams that I can't get the coffee to be any stronger no matter how much I add.  Its like I hit a flavor wall.  I can't get any more out of it.  I have ttried several different sizes of grinds.

Normally I would add 4.5 scoops of Folgers Black Silk to a 12 cup pot and thats what I like.  I'm up to 8 scoops of fresh ground and now grounds are overflowing the filter and ending up in my pot and it still tastes like weak tea.

Also the more I read I see a lot of people that grind fresh are spending 20+ minutes to make 1 cup in a french press or what ever meathod they choose.  Is that the trick?  Do I really need to spend that long per cup?  I prefer to have a pot of coffee on stand by next to my work desk.  

So with all that in mind is fresh grinding not for me?  Is it not possable to get a cup as strong as I like by brewing a full pot?  I know most of the people here probably spent my monthly income in coffee making equipment so please don't critize me for using an inferior method.  I can make coffee I like this way so if gresh ground was going to make a difference I would still see it.

Sorry for the rant.  I'm just frustrated and now I'm at work on a graveyard shift and I have no coffee for the night.
 View Profile Link to this post
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 1:09am
Subject: Re: What am I missing here?

The only way I can see how what you're saying makes any sense is that somehow the extra grounds you are putting into the machine are not being extracted. Can you open the lid and stir the grounds after about a minute in order to saturate them all?
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 7:16am

Sounds like you need to grind finer, the perception of "strength" maybe less for fresh ground & lighter roasted coffee, than you have been using, too.

Do you have some scales, it's a bit hard for us to visualise how much coffee is in a "scoop", or how much a "cup" holds? Weigh the carafe with the normal amount of hot coffee you expect to get, in it & subtract weight of the carafe. Weigh the grinds too. It would be helpful if these weights were all in the same units (g for me, though others may be more comfortable with oz, or g for coffee & oz for water/finished coffee).
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 8:26am

Best, better, worse, and worst, aren't just relative, comparative terms.  When it comes to matters of taste, they're also highly individual.  

I like really strong coffee, and hell, I even like really strong, bitter, bad coffee.  What you describe as what you like sounds strong, bitter, bad, burnt and undrinkable  to me.  

But this is all about you.  Let's not try to "fix" your tastes.  Given how unusual they are, it's possible you already found what works best for you.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 9:15pm

JDub....   Sorry for your frustration, especially hearing you work at night AND NO COFFEE!  

2 questions....  What kind of grinder are you using?  And what type brewer are you using?  

With a halfway decent grinder you can inexpensively brew some really good tasting strong coffee in just a few minutes. My back-up grinder does a fair job when I've needed it and it wasn't expensive.
JDub

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 6:03pm

Thanks for the responces.  The first one seems to have helped.  I found that I have to sit with the lid of the coffe maker open and stir the grounds as the water pours threw them to get a decent flavor.  I don't see much benifit in flavor but I did atleast achive close to my desired strength of flavor.  

When I said "scoop" I was refering to the scoop that comes with most pre ground coffee and also the grinder I bought.  I don't know exactly what ammount they hold.

Thanks again for the responces but I think I'll be sticking with my pre ground.  Its much cheaper, less work, and IMHO better tasting.  Maybe its because thats what I grew up with but its what I like.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 7:15pm

"I'll be sticking with my pre ground"

I drank pre-ground coffee for decades. I put it in the freezer just like everyone said you're not supposed to. I was happy.

Now I buy $20+ per pound specialty single origin third-wave coffee with tasting notes that would be embarrassing if printed on a wine label. I even order my coffee over the internet despite the fact that there are several high end roasters within walking distance of my home. Yet I'm no longer happy all the time. I'm constantly fiddling, reading, analyzing. Sometimes the coffee is totally amazing but often I've missed the mark by a little, other times by a lot. When alone and unobserved I pine for the old days when a pound of Peet's House Blend, ground at their shop and brewed in my trusty moka pot was a route to heaven, even after it had been in the freezer for three weeks.

So do what makes you happy.
We're nuts here.

And, provided you have money, you may be able to have your cake and eat it too, one day soon:

http://sprudge.com/perfect-coffee-startup.html
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 8:50am

Me too, Jpender---I was born in 1950, loved smelling fresh pour coffee as a little girl then started drinking it in my teens. I really miss the convenience, not to mention the low cost---kept ours in the freezer too! NO freezer these days though, plus big change in the morning coffee routine---well worth it, big difference in fresh roasts vs canned grounds (when it was good for what it was).

Today, knowing the window of time fresh roast has before deterioration really makes me wonder just WHAT THE HELL was put in those grounds in cans! It was pre-ground that actually smelled like coffee, tasted like coffee. What have we been ingesting all those years?! CURRENTLY what's in those cans now isn't the same as 2-3 yrs ago-----NO coffee SMELL OR TASTE. It's a wet, chemical cardboard smell & taste---definitely don't want to ingest that stuff! I picture pencil dust in my mind.

Checked out your Perfect Coffee link---intriguing! Probably going to be expensive but IF it turns out to be good in the cup, would be great for those wanting coffee in the workplace. I've been lucky with having access to some good local roasters---two who sell their beans for $13 in 1 lb bags, another in 12oz bags for the same price. Just finished some great Guatemalan---smooth, full flavor.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 9:12am

Ms. Boo, you think the coffee has actually changed? I wouldn't have any idea. You can't do a vertical tasting of old cans of Folgers. We change too and memories aren't always so reliable. But you could be right. Well, it doesn't matter anyway, there's no going back. Hot dogs and beans was my favorite meal when I was about 6.
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 11:51am

Jpender....  YES you're right, agree BUT this was overnight, literally. Nov 2012 on a Tue morn, finished up a usual can that smelled/tasted like coffee THEN  the very next morning, a Wed, opened up new can MH that was completely VOID of anything related to coffee.

Was like a bomb went off in my face. Three unopened cans in my cabinet (2 MH, 1 Folger's)----opened all 3, SAME NASTY STUFF. I went Bat Sh%# Crazy---at a complete loss! Researched online, like cramming for finals, from Wed thru Sat. Ordered a Bonavita Therm and started looking at grinders. BV arrived late Tue, Wed morn Day 8 with fresh grounds from local roaster, made coffee that not only tasted like coffee BUT a flavorful mouthful of coffee. A far cry from flavored water I'd been drinking. The grinder followed and provided much better results, not to mention convenience---sure beat running to the roaster every other day.

When MH/Folgers canned grounds were 'good' they tasted like coffee BUT it was like lots of water with a little coffee flavoring compared to the wonderful fresh coffee I brewed 8 days after my rude awakening. When I first googled my bad experience, I found lots of posts with people describing that same 'chemical smell and taste' along with varying degrees of bad side effects after consuming. Glad I only had a couple of sips that Wed morn.

Yes, wish I could go back with access to what I thought was 'good' and compare it to the chemical smelling/tasting stuff. There were times before then that I wanted a more robust/full flavored cup but trying to make stronger coffee with it just didn't work. Also brewing fresh ground from local roaster wasn't good due to the mass marketed "Stepford" brewer I used then. Think with the rise in costs these companies were slowly, over several years, altering the contents of their product hoping Joe Public wouldn't notice. Packaging was also get cheaper.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What am I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43883395195)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+