Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 6:21am
Subject: Re: What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?

Granted it at a commercial site and ported for Bunn but the information is good and gives a basic grounding in brewing pour over coffee and is based on SCAA guidlines.
http://www.bunn.com/catalog/index.html

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 6:54am
Subject: Re: What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?

jpender Said:

It's obvious that a finer grind results in faster extraction. But assuming the same final extraction, does the grind influence taste?

Posted March 27, 2014 link

Well, yes, but obviously it's more complicated than a simple "yes." I think the most quantifiable taste difference would be in the concentration of the beverage. Achieving the same extraction with a finer grind will also mean a higher TDS%. Because of this, the concentration, or strength, of the beverage will be higher, and therefore the flavor will be more "intense." It's a little bit of a double edged sword, though, as increasing the strength usually also decreases the clarity. The flavors will be more intense, but perhaps a bit harder to distinguish.

-Dave-
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 8:57am

Sometimes it's difficult to read "tone of voice" in a post.  Some of my answers might "sound" curt, because they're terse, but trust me -- I think they're great questions.  

jpender Said:

I think you're making an assumption about the solubility of the various compounds in coffee.

Posted March 27, 2014 link

No.

You're implying that saturation has an effect in immersion brews. But are there data to support that?

Your inference was not my implication.  I don't know what data are available, as I've never surveyed the literature.  Things being what they are, I imagine there's been at least one study.  

I was under the impression that a relatively coarse grind is used in traditional French press in order to minimize grit passing through the screen whereas drip grinds are chosen with an eye toward total percolation time.

"Under the impression" was great word choice. :D Bravo, sir.  Bravo.  

Pun appreciation out of the way, you're right.  But... even though the motivation behind choosing the grind size might not have much to do with extraction rate, the extraction rates are as they are.  We work with or around them by varying things like immersion time, flow rate, and brew-water temperature.  

A problem with FP is that many grinders don't actually do coarse without a lot of fines -- the coarser, the higher percentage of fines.  So, coffee drinkers are left with the irony that the coarser the grind the more mud.  FP workarounds for controlling sediment from those grinders have emerged, involving grinding finer, like the "French Pull," or the "Just Live With The Mud, There's Actually Less of It" techniques.    

Aeropress, also an immersion method but with a different filtration scheme, is often done with a grind much finer than drip.

True, or at least true sometimes.  There are too many Aeropress brewing variations for me to keep track of.  The point being, that there are a lot of variations which involving grind size, immersion time, flow rate, and temperature.  Without isolating the variables, you can't do much in the way of drawing valid conclusions.  

It's obvious that a finer grind results in faster extraction. But assuming the same final extraction, does the grind influence taste?

Don't know.  

There are a lot of different "in the cup" characteristics, including nuance, complexity, clarity, flavor separation, and mouthfeel as well as the acidy, fruity, "high end notes," and nutty-choco "low notes."  I'm guessing that the extremes of grind sizes do matter to taste -- but just guessing.  

Also, other things -- including temperature -- control extraction rate.  For instance, I've just started "ice  drip" brewing, grinding to the same size ("5" on the Trifecta dial of my Bunnzilla) I grind for Chemex +  Kone and balance-beam siphon.  There's a huge difference between the three hour, fruit-free, ice-drip, and ~4min, juicy, hot-brews (juicy).  But there's also a rather large difference in taste between the pour over and immersion methods -- which I don't think is entirely explicable by yield.

Rich
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 10:25am

boar_d_laze Said:

But there's also a rather large difference in taste between the pour over and immersion methods -- which I don't think is entirely explicable by yield.

Rich

Posted March 30, 2014 link

You are confusing the measurement of yield, with the sensory evalation of taste & detection of a multitude of available compounds in the same coffee. Yield alone never has fully dictated taste, more 'balance of taste' assuming good protocol.

Pour over - we're looking really to rinse solubles from the grinds, it has been suggested that in these scenarios we are primarily washing solubles from around the surface of the grinds. Grind size dictates the level of extraction...evenness of grind/extraction may affect where the ideal yield is for that grind/grind quality/brewer. Also, as we are washing out solubles, we are washing them out in order of solubility, grind size seems to affect how they layer/stratify in the cup (subject to stirring). Paper has an effect on taste too, not simply in contributing "paper taste" but also in what the filter let's, pass compared to what it doesn't (assuming equivalent yield & reasonable evenness).

Immersion yield is measured a little differently to extraction yield these days. But with immersion there is little to suggest that grind size has a big/significant effect on speed of extraction. I have more questions about grind shape in this respect. If you grind too coarse you may clamp the upper limit of extraction, but normally this is in the region of 21-23% (immersion yield). Finer grinds seem to give a more evenly extracted beverage (less stratification). Comparisons with percolation are utterly pointless (e.g. a fine grind extracts in 30 seconds). If anyone can provide a reliable guide to how fast 'espresso' grinds extract in a French press (excluding agitation & assuming comparable speed in wetting of grounds), compared to coarse grinds, I'd love to see it.

French pull has little significant effect on silt, in itself (unless you augment filtration, which it's possible collecting the grinds in a puck above the brew can affect somewhat), it's more aimed at killing the extraction dead & removing grinds from the beverage so they can't extract further...beyond taste preference (which is personal & entirely valid), this is pretty much unnecessary, your coffee will normally be cold before it overextracts (in the CBI/SCAA sense) in a French press (though you may well have a subjective preference for the coffee before this point).
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:16am

boar_d_laze Said:

Your inference was not my implication.

You said: "The actual contact time for a particular volume of water (say each 50ml out of a 750ml pour) in a pour over is considerably less than that for the same volume of water in an immersion brewer.  It makes sense then, that most drip brewers function best with medium grinds and most presses with coarse grinds."

Why would it matter whether the coffee was repeatedly exposed to fresh water versus immersed in a solution of ever increasing concentration of dissolved solids?
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:28am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

Achieving the same extraction with a finer grind will also mean a higher TDS%.

I don't know what definition of extraction you're using. For a percolation method like pour over it's usually equated to the ratio of the yield of dissolved solids in the cup to the initial ground coffee. In that case, provided you produce a cup of coffee of the same weight, achieving the same extraction guarantees you'll have the same %TDS.

%TDS = %extraction * ground_coffee_weight / beverage_weight

The standard SCAA brew chart is a graphical example of this relationship. On the x-axis you have the extraction and on the y-axis the %TDS.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:55am

jpender Said:

The standard SCAA brew chart is a graphical example of this relationship. On the x-axis you have the extraction and on the y-axis the %TDS.

That is why I linked to a reference that has it in it.
http://www.bunn.com/catalog/index.html
In specific
Click Here (www.bunn.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 1:08pm

MWJB Said:

You are confusing the measurement of yield, with the sensory evalation of taste & detection of a multitude of available compounds in the same coffee. Yield alone never has fully dictated taste, more 'balance of taste' assuming good protocol.

Mike,

Read more carefully.  I'm not confusing yield with taste.  On the contrary, I said -- very clearly -- that my opinion was that yield was not responsible for every aspect of taste.  You're confusing what I said with something someone else may have said.

Rich
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 2:20pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Mike,

Read more carefully.  I'm not confusing yield with taste.  On the contrary, I said -- very clearly -- that my opinion was that yield was not responsible for every aspect of taste.  You're confusing what I said with something someone else may have said.

Rich

Apologies, I interpreted your intent wrongly. We agree on that front.  

I do think it can be tricky to totally normalise yield expectation/targets accross different protocols, brewers & drinking temp, especially at the same brew ratio. So (all things being equal, if that's possible) big shifts in acidity & sweetness can be yield related, more nuanced shifts may be detectable closer to parity.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 2:49pm

jpender Said:

I don't know what definition of extraction you're using. For a percolation method like pour over it's usually equated to the ratio of the yield of dissolved solids in the cup to the initial ground coffee. In that case, provided you produce a cup of coffee of the same weight, achieving the same extraction guarantees you'll have the same %TDS.

%TDS = %extraction * ground_coffee_weight / beverage_weight

Right, I concur with that. But wouldn't a finer grind produce a heavier cup because of the increased solubility of the coffee and therefore more solubles in the output (i.e. a more concentrated beverage)? Perhaps that would be impossible without changing the extraction.

-Dave-
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370083093643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+