Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
AustinJerry

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 6:05am
Subject: What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?

I have a Baratza Encore grinder, and brew coffee in a Bonavita drip coffee maker.  I purchase fresh beans from a local purveyor every week, and my tastes are normally for dark roasts, especially a dark organic Sumatra.

Can someone share what the relationship between the grind setting and the resulting brew flavor is?  I have experimented with settings ranging from 16-22, and would be interested in knowing what settings others with this grinder are using.  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 8:13am
Subject: Re: What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?

I should think there the scale of  under extraction - correct and overextraction as you grind from coarse to fine. From a flavour point of view less flavour, muted - good - bitters and unwanted
Dave_E

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 8:34am
Subject: Re: What is the relationship between the grind setting and coffee flavor?

All about extraction rate.
AustinJerry

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 2:38pm

Dave_E Said:

All about extraction rate.

Posted March 25, 2014 link

Care to expand a bit?  Of course I can't control the rate of flow of the hot water.  Are you saying the coarseness of the grind affects the extraction rate?  Can you give me some direction--does a finer grind increase the extraction rate?  Does an increased extraction rate increase the strength of the brew, enhance the flavor, make it more bitter, what?

I suspect the right answer is to vary the grind settings, assess the resulting flavor, and make my own decision.  But I was hoping for some insight from others.
kinbote

Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm, Kone
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 3:59pm

AustinJerry Said:

...does a finer grind increase the extraction rate? ...increase the strength of the brew, enhance the flavor, make it more bitter, what?

Posted March 26, 2014 link

I'm no expert, but I believe a finer grind increases extraction rate partly by slowing down the water-to-grounds exposure time. It also increases the volume of extraction because more of the coffee bean surface is exposed. So overall, a finer grind will result in more flavor extraction -- which isn't always a good thing.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 4:18pm

This is for espresso but in many ways can have a smaller effect on drip.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 4:28pm

Finer grinds (like espresso) extract faster. Coarser grind slower. A drip to press pot grind usually targets brew times of 3-4 minutes.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 6:09pm

Frost Said:

Finer grinds (like espresso) extract faster. Coarser grind slower. A drip to press pot grind usually targets brew times of 3-4 minutes.

Yes and with a window of 3-4 minutes one can adjust a brew for 3 minutes to 4 mins by adjusting grind and or amount used. I have found that I can zero in on flavors I like by adjusting these things in a drip, press, or pour over, just not as drastically as can be done with espresso.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:08pm

Frost Said:

Finer grinds (like espresso) extract faster. Coarser grind slower.

Well put.

For the same mass of coffee, coffee ground finer exposes more surface area compared to coffee ground coarser, and under identical conditions will -- as you say -- extract faster.  

A drip to press pot grind usually targets brew times of 3-4 minutes.

Drip and press are apples and oranges though, because press is an "immersion" brew, and drip is "pour over."  

The actual contact time for a particular volume of water (say each 50ml out of a 750ml pour) in a pour over is considerably less than that for the same volume of water in an immersion brewer.  It makes sense then, that most drip brewers function best with medium grinds and most presses with coarse grinds.  

Of course there are not only exceptions but ways to shape "in the cup" characteristics with temperature, grind and taste.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:41pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Drip and press are apples and oranges though, because press is an "immersion" brew, and drip is "pour over."  

The actual contact time for a particular volume of water (say each 50ml out of a 750ml pour) in a pour over is considerably less than that for the same volume of water in an immersion brewer.  It makes sense then, that most drip brewers function best with medium grinds and most presses with coarse grinds.

Posted March 27, 2014 link

I think you're making an assumption about the solubility of the various compounds in coffee. You're implying that saturation has an effect in immersion brews. But are there data to support that?

I was under the impression that a relatively coarse grind is used in traditional French press in order to minimize grit passing through the screen whereas drip grinds are chosen with an eye toward total percolation time. Aeropress, also an immersion method but with a different filtration scheme, is often done with a grind much finer than drip.

It's obvious that a finer grind results in faster extraction. But assuming the same final extraction, does the grind influence taste?

Further reading: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293497085571)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+