Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Cold brew questions...
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cold brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Cranston37

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 5:48pm
Subject: Cold brew questions...

Hi!

I'm about to try my first cold press, and I have a couple of newbie questions before starting to help me understand the process I've been reading about...

1) I know to make a drinkable cup from concentrate you at least start with roughly 1 part concentrate to 1 part water... can you add the 1 part water directly to the carafe that you store in the fridge or do you have to add the water for each serving?

2) If you want a cup of hot coffee from the concentrate, how exactly do you prepare it? Simply add 200 degree water to the concentrate and stir? Add water to the concentrate then bring that mixture to 200 degrees?

3) I plan on using a French Press then straining it one more time into the carafe. Instead of doing something like cheesecloth is there anything wrong with using a more permanent mesh filter?

4) When I make a cold latte now, I use about 6oz coffee to 6oz milk - would the place to start with this method translate to 3oz concentrate, 3oz water, 6oz milk?

Thanks very much!
 View Profile Link to this post
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:45am
Subject: Re: Cold brew questions...

What with the opportunities to enjoy Cold Brew being few and far between, I can't profess to having lots of experience in it, but I was making decent coffees from Cold Brew concentrate by the end of last summer, and having made some lovely cold brew this past weekend I think I can answer some of your questions!

1) Yes, you can add it to the carafe and then store a 'drinkable' mix in the fridge, but I'm not sure why you would...the concentrate will be good for 1-2 weeks, and takes up less room as a concentrate. The 'normal' thing to do is to keep the concentrate in the fridge, and then make a coffee from it when you want by pouring into a glass/mug a 50/50 mix of concentrate and water/milk (and ice if preferred!)

2) I've never tried this, and not heard of it either - I don't know if it would taste so good...if you try it, be sure to let us know how it goes...with it being a 50/50 mix though, you may find it 'luke warm' if you just add hot water to the concentrate! Again, let us know! :)

3) Last year I just used the built in strainer on a cafetiere - that is to say that the lid and plunger off whilst it brewed for 18ish hours, and then inserted the plunger at the end before decanting. It works, so I guess a mesh filter will be fine. This year however, since I now own a chemex, I passed the brewed coffee through the filter - I do not recommend this! Despite using a mesh filter to prevent the large amount of ground coffee going into the paper filter, I found that there was a very fine silt in the coffee that completely blocked the paper filter and brought the flow to a stand-still within about 3 minutes of filtering (at that point I was only about half way through filtering the 1.2L jug of brewed coffee!!)

4) The ratio should be 50% concentrate to 50% 'other'. If you want latte-esque 12oz drink then I would just skip the water and do 6oz concentrate to 6oz milk.

I don't know about you but I find that at 140g (0.3lbs) of coffee making 1L (34oz) of concentrate (ie 2L (68oz) of coffee) equals a pretty expensive cup of coffee?! I love it, but I just wonder if there is a better way?! Have you heard of the Toddy? I'm tempted to get one and give it a go!

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cold brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.17484998703)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+