Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Rocky Rancilio Grinder - Where to buy
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Rocky Rancilio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bergjm

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 8:32am
Subject: Rocky Rancilio Grinder - Where to buy

Hi all, new to the forums.

Lately I have been trying to up my coffee game a bit, but I am still only at the drip coffee level.  I recently purchased a Technivorn Moccamaster to get a machine that would last longer, and got an unexpected bonus of great coffee.

I am looking to improve the grinding now by going from a blade grinder to a good burr grinder, and I am thinking of the Rancilio Rocky.  Many places initially suggested the Baratza grinders, but most I talked to gave them an expected life of 3 years, and I have read many reviews that say they didn't last that long, so I wanted to step up to something that will last longer.

My issue is I can not find any brick and mortar stores that carry the Baratza nor the Rancilios, so I am forced to purchase on the web, but I am reading conflicting stories on these vendors.

I am on the East Coast - New Jersey near Philadelphia PA.  I have pretty much narrowed it down to Chris Coffee and Seattle Coffee Gear.  Seattle Coffee Gear has a 2 year Warranty and Chris a 1 year, but Seattle is the other side of the country so it would take a while for repairs, although with the Rocky I would hope the chance of repairs in 2 years is minimal.

Can anyone comment on these vendors for their phone support, ease and quality of repairs, and return policies?  Has anyone used them for warranty claims?  Anyone else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 8:56am
Subject: Re: Rocky Rancilio Grinder - Where to buy

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Another vendor that sells the Rocky is 1st line located in NJ with a 2 yr warranty.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 2:38pm

The service you get from Chris' Coffee Service is more than you expect in every way.  I've bought a lot of things from them and have used gotten DIY service help once or twice through the phone and email.  I've also had product discussions with sales and Chris himself.  Lastly, I owned a Rocky years ago.  It is built like a tank, so I suspect it long outlives the 2 year service window offered by SCG or anyone else.  In fact, I'd suggest calling to find out how many times they've actually had people exercise the warranty.  I'd bet you can count them on one hand.

I second the recommendation for 1st-line as well.  Jim is a great guy and demands his employees give great service too. Plus, they're really close to you. Last, I'm pretty sure they price match, so order over the phone if you're seeing a lower price elsewhere.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
bergjm

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 2:59pm

Thanks for the replies.  I will check out 1st-line and Chris on Monday.  With both companies their service is only available M-F during the day, correct?

I am hoping that I will not need a repair in the 2 years, which is why I am leaning toward the Rocky, but you never know.  1st-line is about 75 minutes away but they are only open during the week so I would have to take  day off work to go there for a repair, but they are the closest one I have found.

Thanks again.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 7:52am

Rocky is NOT a drip grinder, it is not a good performer when used in that application. You are much better off with grinders designed for drip use than trying to use an espresso grinder for drip. Just a word of warning before you buy what you want but later find out it was not what you needed.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 9:58am

I wouldn't be worried about Baratza reliability. The people that have run into issues are generally Preciso and Vario owners that switch back and forth constantly from espresso to coarse, that puts a ton of wear and tear on them as though they are capable of doing so, not recommend and should be used for 1 purpose only either espresso or coarse, or doing other stuff like adjusting while power isn't on etc. There's no good "all around" grinder. You have people still using their first grinder the Maestro and that's like 8 years old now? I wouldn't be worried when using for coarse use. The Virtuoso can be had for around $200 or so, and has the Preciso burr set which is great for coarse grinding and tight step adjustment, personally I would take it over a Rocky for coarse use easily. Will it last 25+ years like a Rocky pry will, pry not, could care less about that though.

Rocky is kinda an odd ball grinder now, when it first came out for home users that was about all there was unless you dropped serious $$$$ on other stuff. now there are too many other better grinders as the Rocky isn't good for espresso or coarse as others, and you'd have to deal with it's quirks like retention etc
bergjm

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 4:51pm

calblacksmith:  What grinder would you recommend for drip?  I haven't seen any that are specific for drip.

Thanks for the help
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 5:55pm

bergjm Said:

What grinder would you recommend for drip?  I haven't seen any that are specific for drip.

Posted February 24, 2014 link

There are actually a few which do the various brew grinds best.  

Drip fits in the middle range of brew grind sizes, and is one of the easiest for grinders to do well.  So grinders which do a decent job of espresso and might not be any good for press can be very good for drip; similarly grinders which can't do espresso at all but are great for press and cupping are similarly great for drip.

Good brew grinders, manual and elctric start at around $200.  The Baratza Virtuoso and Breville Smart are both good for press and brew, but no good for espresso.  The Smart is They aren't so much flimsy, as plasticky and neither is built anywhere nearly as well as the Rocky.

The Hausgrind by Knock and the Orphan Espresso Lido 2 are both excellent hand grinders and also about $200.  

Before going any farther, let's figure out the lay of the land as it pertains to you.

• How much coin are you willing to drop on this project?  The rule of "spend more, get more" is in effect. I have about $1000 in my brew/cupping grinder.  While it's well worth it to me, a grand is probably considerably more than you're willing to spend; but you may be willing to go higher than $200.
  • Is "used" a possibility?
  • Are you open to a manual grinder?

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bergjm

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 6:18pm

boar_d_laze Said:

How much coin are you willing to drop on this project?  The rule of "spend more, get more" is in effect. I have about $1000 in my brew/cupping grinder.  While it's well worth it to me, a grand is probably considerably more than you're willing to spend; but you may be willing to go higher than $200.
Is "used" a possibility?
Are you open to a manual grinder?

Rich

• I would like to stay below $400, lower if I can.  I am willing to save more to get something that will do a better grind and hold up if I need to.

• Not sure if used is a possibility - haven't thought about it.

• Right now I am not open to a manual grinder
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 5:27am

boar_d_laze Said:

The Baratza Virtuoso and Breville Smart are both good for press and brew
Rich

I took this advice from Rich and got the Smart about month back....it is awesome!. You just can't beat it for $160 (with 20% off coupon). Does a wide range of drip/press grinds and produces a pretty consistent grind at the coarser settings. You say your still at the "drip coffee level". I don't do espresso either....yet. Your going to need 2 grinders from what I've read. Why spend a ton of money on your drip grinder, put it into your espresso setup later on.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Rocky Rancilio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280616998672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+