Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Help picking out a grinder.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Help picking out...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Atd285

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:01am
Subject: Help picking out a grinder.

Hi Everyone!
I'm new here @ CoffeeGeek, but I'm already loving the site/forums for the great discussions going on around here. I think it's so cool the Aeropress inventor posts here, It's become my absolute favorite brewing device!  I'm still somewhat new to home brewing, but I'm getting a little better each day.  Currently, i'm hunting for electric grinder, since I've been using a hand grinder for a while now and feel that I could use an upgrade.  I'm sorry I didn't post this in the "Espresso-Grinders" section, but I'm not really doing espresso right now and thought this section might be more appropriate.  I was kind of overwhelmed by the vast options there are for grinders these days, but I think I've narrowed my decision down to a Baratza Virtuoso.  I had been planning on buying it refurbished from Baratza's website since many people seem to have had good success doing that.  I went to check out Baratza's refurb section this morning and came across this, https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=586R  Would this be a better option for me? I'm only doing simple manual brewing at the moment(v60, Aeropress, French Press) and just wanted to make sure that the grinder I selected wouldn't be overkill for what I'm doing.  Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to more great discussion on the forum!
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:11am
Subject: Re: Help picking out a grinder.

Not sure what you mean, you want the Virtuoso, but linked to a Virtuoso and asked if that's a better option? Same grinder lol... they added the Preciso Burr set a few years ago so to separate they called the newer one "w/ Preciso burrs", and yes I'd jump on that refurbed Virtuoso before someone else does lol, their refurb grinders go fast. Awesome burr set for your needs, and great adjusting/dialing ability for coarse use. And if you do french press, you'll really appreciate it b/c that burr set has excellent fines/dust control and consistency which is important for any grinding but especially with French Press.

Fresh Beans + Virtuoso + Aeropress = one hell of a cup of coffee
Atd285

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:17am

I'm very sorry, i wasn't aware of the update to the burrs.  Thank you so much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CMIN

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:29am

No prob lol. Just make sure you use fresh roasted beans, where do you get your beans from right now? Stay away from anything at the supermarket/grocery stores, if it's there with a sell by date or use by date.. run from it, and never Charbucks or any place like that as they'll sell you burnt beans hat have been sitting in bags for 3-6+ months. Philly has good coffee roasters/shops, check here and I'm sure there are plenty more: Philly Roasters

La Colombe is also the guy that does the coffee show on tv "Dangerous Grounds" which is cool (about him searching out and sourcing beans etc mainly in harsh/dangerous places), never had his coffee but have meant to order it, people have said it's great.

Also if you search on here, there's a big Aeropress owners thread I believe that has tons of tips and tricks and examples of ratios to play with your Aeropress.
Atd285

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:50am

I actually have actually been buying Stumptown's beans lately, so far I have tried their House Blend and Holler Mountain Blend.  Really enjoyed them both!  I'm thinking I might try Hairbender next.  I'm definitely going to visit some of the local roasters in Philly soon, I probably should have done that first, but oh well, better late than never!  After getting beans roasted to order from Stumptown, I think going back to Starbucks/Grocery store coffee will be pretty difficult, haha.  That show does look pretty cool, I have been meaning to check it out.  There's actually a lot of restaurants around here serving La Columbe and I always thought it was really good.
CMIN

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:55am

My wife was in Philly and ate a restaurant with some friends. When got coffee she asked the waitress where it was from b/c it was so good, said La Colombe. She texted me saying she was drinking coffee from that show we watch lol. She said it was really good coffee. She loved that rock bar there Good Dog or something like that?
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 5:31pm

I might as well jump into in conversation...lol A good grinder I'd recommend would be the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso. I've never owned one, but I can guarantee it is a great grinder! Also you could look at the Baratza Encore (I own one, pretty great grinder! But also a more basic model) Or better such as the Vario or Vario-W. If you're really into getting the best grind possible and you grind a lot daily...Just look at a commercial grinder. Which also cost's huge amounts of money. Might I recommend the Bunn G1 HD? I'm sure you've seen those in coffee houses! Or a Grindmaster. They are the tall grinders with the dial's on the front.

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
CMIN

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 5:48pm

Preciso is kinda pointless though for his use, Virtuoso is what he needs, Preciso is the Virtuoso with the micro arm for espresso, if your not doing espresso no point in spending more for the Preciso. Same burr set. Bunn is almost 2ft tall, huge, and like 700+ bucks unless you can find a used cheap one.

No way a Bunn would fit in my kitchen lol, and no way wife would allow it either lol
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 5:12pm

I would love to have one myself, but the same here. My mother would KILL me if I bought one, even used....

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Help picking out...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216322898865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+