Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
How to test TDS in coffee?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to test TDS...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 2:40pm
Subject: How to test TDS in coffee?

I'm wanted to buy a TDS meter for my coffee. Do you just stick the tip in a cup of coffee to test the TDS? Or how is it done? Is there a temperature range to test?

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 7:12am
Subject: Re: How to test TDS in coffee?

I have read about TDS Coffee meter.  There is 3-in-1 combo that measures temperature, conductivity and total dissolved solids. It is ideal for measuring brewed coffee TDS. It determines the extraction and strength for specific coffee. However, this is intended only for drip coffee and will not work for espresso.

With regards to how it is used, an instruction is being stated on the manual of the instrument. Just follow the instruction on how to do it.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 11:29am

There's a link to a roaster who explains the different meters and how to calculate the results. Maybe someone can post it here. If I recall correctly, tds meter, refractometer (visual and digital), and VST coffee refractometer. The visual refractometer is the least expensive and VST the most expensive. The non-coffee versions use brix and are available with different scales. We use a digital version at work to measure corn syrup, just put one drop on the sensor and wash with distilled water when finished.

I've got a TDS meter but never put in coffee. In the lab where I work all turbid samples are gravity filtered thru paper or glass circles before using a colorimeter.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 5:13pm

Is there a least expensive way to measure the actual TDS % of my coffee, say with a digital hand helf refractometer?

hankua
hankua

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 6:19pm

Found the link:
Click Here (blog.paradiseroasters.com)
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 5:56am

I just don't know where to start....

The only rational way that makes any sense for testing coffee is to taste it.

TDS - conductivity based (useless)
Refractometer - also useless

The above 2 instruments readings are meaningless in telling you anything useful about the coffee, because of the way both of them work and their inability to measure the interaction of a number of complex compounds/conditions that greatly affect the taste of coffee. I don't know when or how all this stuff got started, but seems to have become a shared belief (even by the SCAA) akin to religious faith.
hankua
hankua

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:58am

Dave are you saying the VST coffee specific refractometer is useless? If it gives repeatable readings wouldn't it be useful for calibrating coffee gear? In the lab where I work we have control charts for all our instruments with either standards or control beer. The charts are calculated with 25 data points over a period of time on all three shifts. If the instrument in in control, the results are considered valid. My assumption is the VST meter can be held to this type of standard control verification.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:12am

I've seen that website actually. Any where I can find a handheld Refractometer like the one in that link for cheap? Like under $200?

DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:27am

hankua Said:

Dave are you saying the VST coffee specific refractometer is useless? If it gives repeatable readings wouldn't it be useful for calibrating coffee gear? In the lab where I work we have control charts for all our instruments with either standards or control beer. The charts are calculated with 25 data points over a period of time on all three shifts. If the instrument in in control, the results are considered valid. My assumption is the VST meter can be held to this type of standard control verification.

Posted February 5, 2014 link

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, no it wouldn't be useful for calibrating coffee gear. As far as the lab scenario goes your not comparing apples with apples.

However, people will market anything and claim anything if it gets your money!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 10:42am

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I'm wanted to buy a TDS meter for my coffee. Do you just stick the tip in a cup of coffee to test the TDS? Or how is it done? Is there a temperature range to test?

Posted January 30, 2014 link

I'm really curious why you're interested in this.  Most of your past posts have shown you are reluctant to purchase good quality beans.  You continue to report tests where the coffee is horrible, yet seemingly fail to realize, you're shooting yourself in the foot before you start.  I think most recently, you reported poor results using preground coffee from dunkin' donuts.  When I read posts like that, I can't help to wonder...what did you expect?

I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but rather, would really like to understand why you don't seem to realize how much you can up your game by getting better beans.  If you want to have brown colored milk, you can mix chocolate in it or sh!& - guess which one's going to taste better?  I know that's an extreme example, but I think it's a concept you should seriously consider.

...or maybe I'm totally wrong, and you've only been posting these tests you do, and are using good beans the rest of the time?  If so, I apologize.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to test TDS...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257472038269)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+