Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Is it the (cheap) coffee maker?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emileeg

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 6:50am
Subject: Is it the (cheap) coffee maker?

Hey y'all,

Just want some opinions on what we can do to improve the coffee at our house - not sure what our problem is, or the best way to fix it!

My dad makes the best coffee (or at least, he makes coffee that I loooooove to drink). It's just smooth and awesome and delicious.  Usually I only ever add a little bit of milk to it; it needs no sugar! He has one of the Cuisinart grind & brew machines (the kind without the hopper)

We use the exact same beans he does and we live in the same city, so the water is the same too. Our coffee tastes bitter. We have a separate grinder that was cheap :/ And a coffee maker that was also cheap (maybe spent $20 on it?).

I'm tired of drinking coffee that I know can be 10x better.  What needs changing? Is it the crappy grinder?  Is it that the coffee maker we have isn't heating the water to the correct temperature?  Or something else I haven't even considered?  Or all of it?

If all of it needs to go - what do we get, for as reasonably priced as possible?  We're OK with not having a completely automatic coffee maker (separate grinder and machine are OK), as long as we get a decent cup of coffee out of it :)  

Also - not really interested in french press.  When we're up in the morning and trying to get out the door, we're more likely to run out the door earlier and stop at a gas station to pick up coffee (or go coffeee-less - then grump about it later) than hang around timing how long the coffee has been steeping :/

Any advice would be mega appreciated! We are definitely closer to beginners than coffee snobs, but we do like a decent cup of coffee :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 7:40am
Subject: Re: Is it the (cheap) coffee maker?

If your looking to replace the Cuisinart (Which I've also owned) for something better plus a stand alone grinder, cheap won't cut it. I'd recommend the Baratza Encore + Bonivita BV 1800TH.  Both will run you up over $300..

A great cheap alternative would be a Pour over cone matched with a hand grinder.  

Hario Mini + Hario V60 will brew you an AMAZING cup for about $50-$60 if your willing to grind and brew by hand.  Lastly you would also need a kettle. I use a cheap $15 kettle. As long as I start brewing within a min or two off the boil I always get great brews.

The brew itself only takes 1-2 min. Grinding about the same.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emileeg

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 8:07am

Hey Burner, thanks for the reply!

We're looking to replace our cheap stuff - I like the coffee my dad's Cuisinart produces. Just comparing the Cuisinart to our cheap stuff, I'm wondering if the bitterness is (mostly) due to inconsistent grind from the crummy grinder or incorrect temperature from the cheap machine.  Or something else... I guess what I'm really asking is, what is it that the Cuisinart is doing better (probably everything...) that can be fixed without spending as much?  Or, if we can make better coffee spending the same amount.

Not gonna hand grind... but I'd totally be okay with spending money on a decent burr grinder.  I'll definitely look more into pour over brewing, it's not really something I had thought about.

Absolute max we're willing to spend towards being able to brew some decent coffee is $200, but we'd like to spend less if we can.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:54am

Ok well your mostly getting bitterness from your cheaper machine IF it has a carafe warmer which burns the coffee after about 20min.  An easy fix for this would be to just shut it off and either consume the coffee quickly or replace it with a thermal carafe.

I highly recommend the Baratza Encore for drip brewing.  It suites drip and pour over best for grind settings having 40 in total.  Sweet deal for $130. If you spend the remaining $70 on a brewer with a thermal carafe you should be golden. Honestly out of all the cheap brewers out there the Black & Decker outlast everything else I've used aside from commercial grade brewers. Just make sure you get something without a warmer and thermal carafe or your just gonna get bitter burnt coffee.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:30pm

emileeg Said:

. He has one of the Cuisinart grind & brew machines (the kind without the hopper)

Posted January 27, 2014 link

Do you like to experiment?

If so, can he make coffee in his maker that already been ground?  If so, take your grinder to his house, grind some beans and brew in his coffee maker.

Then, can you take grinds from his grinder and brew them in your brewer?
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 8:14pm

CoffeeNark Said:

Do you like to experiment?

If so, can he make coffee in his maker that already been ground?  If so, take your grinder to his house, grind some beans and brew in his coffee maker.

Then, can you take grinds from his grinder and brew them in your brewer?

Posted January 27, 2014 link

His dad doesn't have a grinder, it's built into the machine.

But that is a good idea.

I've found the decent grind and brews do better than a blade grinder and a 20 dollar pot. That being said, the next question is...

Are you using the same proportion of beans to water? Does he measure his beans, weigh how much he uses for how much weight of water he uses. Compare it to what you use.

All things are possible.

I recommend a Bonavita with a carafe if you are buying a new machine. I know most of these guys swear by the grinder, but I've found that the pot can make a bigger difference. When you buy a cheap machine you take pot luck on water temperature and drip speed. I have seen this happen. With two cheap machines of the same model and brand and one produced burn your mouth hot coffee and the other produced one that was actually a tiny bit too cool. They are made for the Folgers and Yuban set.

Anywho, could luck on your journey.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239701986313)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+