Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Ageing Coffee Beans
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Ageing Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SteveFreides

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Syncrony
Drip: No Drip - French Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 9:07am
Subject: Ageing Coffee Beans

I am getting to the end of some Aged Sumatra I bought from Sweet Maria and they are out of it with no ETA for more.

My understanding from Sweet Marias is that they didn't age these beans themselves and that generally the beans are aged closer to their source and sold as aged to distributors like Sweet Marias.

I recently found JadaBug as a source for Aged Sumatra and bought some - trouble is, it doesn't seem to be aged much, if at all, compared to my usual Sumatra Mandheling type of coffee.  The Sweet Marias stuff was a distinctly different color, rather chocolate brown, and also had a distinctly different taste; the JadaBug stuff is pretty much regular Sumatra Mandheling green beans.

I'd appreciate any guidance on ageing my own Sumatra.  It doesn't seem like brain surgery to do, and I was thinking of putting beans in a burlap bag that other coffee had come in and just setting it on the shelf for a few years, giving it a stir every now and then.  Our basement seems a fine place for coffee - it's a little cool but the temperature and humidity remain pretty constant year-round.

And, of course, if anyone has a good source for Aged Sumatra in the meantime, I'd love to hear about that.

By way of background, I home roast, generally blends of my own devising and not single origin, for use in a super-auto espresso machine and a French Press.  My blend for the super-auto is 1/6 Aged Sumatra when I can get it.

Thanks very much in advance for your replies.

-S-
 View Profile Link to this post
skadttam
skadttam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: bialetti
Grinder: solis maestro
Vac Pot: aero press
Drip: press pot
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:53pm
Subject: Re: Ageing Coffee Beans

Aging coffee is not really as easy as it might sound.  there is a distinct difference between "aged" coffee and OLD coffee.  It helps to understand a bit about why anyone would age coffee to begin with... when coffee was first being imported to europe from places like java, the coffee had to be loaded, break-bulk into the hull of a ship.  the vessels at the time would then embark on the long and difficult journey across the seas and into europe.  during the transit the agroscopic nature of the beans allowed for a distinctive "defect" to take hold.  That defect is what people in europe began to recognize as the flavor of indonesian arabica coffee.  now that the process is a bit more streamlined, some folks miss that taste... hence the "aging"
this is typically done at origin (or at least near by) in warehouses specifically designed for this process.  they open and close shutters on the sides of buildings to control the temperature and humidity inside where the beans are resting.  they are turned on a schedule and moved throughout the warehouse.  how long a coffee takes to properly "age" depends a lot on climactic conditions and good distributors will take samples every few months to check on the aging process.  
you will be sorely disappointed if you just throw some coffee in a jute or sisal bag and throw it on a shelf.  
be patient... find a reliable and trusted source.
skadttam
skadttam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: bialetti
Grinder: solis maestro
Vac Pot: aero press
Drip: press pot
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 5:59pm

BTW sweet marias is definitely a solid, reliable and trusted source for all things coffee...
SteveFreides

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 7:04pm

I would love to find another source - if I could, I wouldn't be asking about how to do it on my own - and I agree that Sweet Marias is a great source.  They're where most of my beans come from.

It would be nice if how to do this were written up somewhere!

-S-
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 7:25am

It should be understood well what this ageing coffee beans is. We should not compare these beans to an old coffee because this connotes lower quality which taste is boring and lifeless. The age coffee is from coffee beans that have been aged for a number of years to improve the coffee flavor

Ageing coffee can be done by holding the beans in burlap as what is done in Sumatra where it is rotated frequently. It is also done by monsooning where the beans are held in the warehouse and exposed to the moist monsoon winds as in India. This is done to have more body, very low acidity, and very strong and wild flavors.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SteveFreides

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 9:36am

This is exactly why I'm asking.  I have burlap sacks here because some of the coffee I buy comes in them.  But I suspect that too little moisture might not be good, and we know that too much moisture for an extended period of time would likely lead to rotting.

So I'm just trying to figure out how I ought to do this because I would like to give it a try.

-S-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Ageing Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207333803177)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+