Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
French press questions
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 11:23am
Subject: French press questions

So, as exciting as it sounds...I'm trying to use my french press again along with my TV. But, it's been to long and I've always had bad coffee from my FP. But, I bought some fresh roasted coffee and had them grind it for me on their coarse setting. Although this ins't as fresh, It gives me a rough idea of  a proper coarse grind and I can hopefully use that to find the right setting on my Encore. Anyways, I know I've asked this before but should I weigh the water as I pour it on the coffee? Reason asking is because I believe some of the water evaporates. And, what temp is best for my lighter roast coffee? Should I pour at a higher temperature because of temp drop? What temp?

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 11:33am
Subject: Re: French press questions

Personally, I find French Press much more forgiving than many other ways of hand brewing coffee.
I don't measure. I don't futz too much with the grind. I generally do it a lot when traveling, so I have a Hario Slim, because of profile, the mark on the mill is close enough. I grind the beans, add hot water, either from room pot or a simple electric kettle with no settings, let it steep, press and drink.

That being said, it is a totally different experience than say pour over or what you get out of your TV. It's less filtered, heavier and gives more of a kick to those not so addicted to caffeine they don't get a kick anymore.

Others may disagree

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 8:37am

You canít get right away of what you like to have the coffee you want. We have different ways to prepare coffee and we have also different personal taste. Anyway, measuring the water content is the best thing to do as you pour it in your coffee to have consistency. But in the long run, measuring is not necessary. You will learn these things if you keep on preparing your own coffee.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 12:57pm

when I use my presspot (at least a couple of times a week at work)...

The amount of water evaporation is negligible (in my opinion).
I measure the volume of water to be used. As said above (can't believe I'm actually agreeing with him!), the most accurate method would indeed be to weigh the water via putting the press on a scale before you start pouring.
I preheat the press and my cup while I weigh my beans.
I introduce the grounds to the preheated press, then cover with water at 200F.
Bloom for 20s, then pour in the rest of the water.  
At the 1:30 mark, I stir just untlil all grounds are re-wetted (0 time is first contact of grounds and water).  
I press at 4min.

If too bitter - grind coarser; too sour - grind finer.  One can also play around with dose, but I think you can get a good start with about 25-35g:300ml ratio.  Keep a log showing what you did, what beans you used and how it tasted, then make small changes here and there until you get it where you want it.

There was a guy with a lot of expertise in press, drip, pourover methods who once posted all of his techniques (for each brew method).  I was lucky enough to copy them (or at least his French and Aero press methods) before he had to abandon CG (copyright issues so I heard).  I have it on another PC (either my home one or the one in my office), and can email it to you if you'd like - just pm me, so I don't forget.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Thecoffeenerd

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 8:58pm

emradguy Said:

when I use my presspot (at least a couple of times a week at work)...

The amount of water evaporation is negligible (in my opinion).
I measure the volume of water to be used. As said above (can't believe I'm actually agreeing with him!), the most accurate method would indeed be to weigh the water via putting the press on a scale before you start pouring.
I preheat the press and my cup while I weigh my beans.
I introduce the grounds to the preheated press, then cover with water at 200F.
Bloom for 20s, then pour in the rest of the water.  
At the 1:30 mark, I stir just untlil all grounds are re-wetted (0 time is first contact of grounds and water).  
I press at 4min.

If too bitter - grind coarser; too sour - grind finer.  One can also play around with dose, but I think you can get a good start with about 25-35g:300ml ratio.  Keep a log showing what you did, what beans you used and how it tasted, then make small changes here and there until you get it where you want it.

There was a guy with a lot of expertise in press, drip, pourover methods who once posted all of his techniques (for each brew method).  I was lucky enough to copy them (or at least his French and Aero press methods) before he had to abandon CG (copyright issues so I heard).  I have it on another PC (either my home one or the one in my office), and can email it to you if you'd like - just pm me, so I don't forget.

Posted December 9, 2013 link

I can't seem to email you on here...Email the details at Barretthall92@yahoo.com Thanks!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:16am

I recently got my FP out again, as I do from time to time. I'm finding it to be my preference more these days so considering buying an Espro for better filtering & insulation. My Bodom is great though.

Hey Emradguy.... I emailed you about that info you mentioned (French and Aero press methods)---hope you received it?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 3:52pm

Well, so...I can't find the file. I remember saving it, but I have to work at so many different computers, I can't remember which one it's on. If and when I find it, I'll send it along to those who've requested it. Sorry for potentially misleading everyone.

msboo

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 5:22pm

Not to worry, Emradguy.  After posting earlier I got the 'fever' for another coffee 'thing' --- ordered an Espro press.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 8:59pm

You are going to love the Espro press! I now have both the small and medium sizes. The small is great for making myself a single cup. I have a Contigo ceramic desk mug. It's lid happens to fit the small press perfectly, so I use it to keep in the heat during the steep phase. Of course, I preheat both the mug and the press too.

Which size did you get? What grinder will you be using?

msboo

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:15pm

Oh gosh, I know, can't wait til it arrives. Got the Large press, 32oz. Funny you mentioned using your Contigo top with your small press (hold in heat)---I noticed in a video how the top is made, I was thinking about doing something similar. Espro is a little $$ for a FP but you get what you pay for! Keeping heat in during brew time makes a BIG difference AND the way the filters are made--WOW! Like you, I preheat everything. My grinder is a Virtuoso.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262310028076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+