Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Need Some Advice On Moka Pots
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Need Some Advice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Need Some Advice On Moka Pots

Yeh I've never understood why so many think Moka makes burnt 212 degree coffee, if you know how to use Moka then you would know that's not true. I've never had "burnt" coffee taste from Moka except when I started using and didn't know the real way to use it correctly. So many just leave it on the stove on, well yeh then it'll be burnt tasting lol. But then I learned the real ways and tricks from my Cuban friends lol.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:52am

CMIN Said:

Yeh I've never understood why so many think Moka makes burnt 212 degree coffee, if you know how to use Moka then you would know that's not true.

Posted November 22, 2013 link

I think it's a natural mistake to think that the water needs to be boiling to create steam pressure. You can't see what's going on inside.

It's easy to let the water get too hot and ruin the coffee. My moka pot will hit 110C at the end if I just let it go. Luciano Navarini published a paper on the moka pot (he used a 3 cup Moka Express in his experiments) and in his runs the water went well above 100C at the very end. Here is a plot from that paper.

jpender: navarini_fig4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:05am

Jpender, great to see all of the research that has been done on Moka pots. I'm curious if the Brikka, which I use, varies in its result -- since its cap/spout delays the release of the brew into the upper chamber, until a sudden burst at the end. From what can tell, this differs from the more gradual sputtering of other Moka pots.

Does the Brikka's brew method affect the result in the cup?
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:31pm

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

great to see all of the research that has been done on Moka pots

All that research? In Navarini it is stated that as far as the authors' know theirs was the first (published) experimental investigation of the moka pot and one of only two papers to correctly characterize the physics. Even in the scientific literature it has been poorly described.

From Navarini:
"Despite its well-established usage, the moka has never been
the subject of detailed analysis, which led to a series of unclear descriptions or
misinterpretations concerning its functioning, such as the consolidated misbelieve
that standard atmosphere boiling point temperature is needed to drive the water
out. The detailed measurement of the thermodynamics of the moka, described here,
sheds light on its actual behaviour. It is shown that extraction commences at pretty
low temperatures and depends on the initial ammount of dry air in the kettle.
"

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

I'm curious if the Brikka, which I use, varies in its result -- since its cap/spout delays the release of the brew into the upper chamber, until a sudden burst at the end. From what can tell, this differs from the more gradual sputtering of other Moka pots.

Does the Brikka's brew method affect the result in the cup?

I'm sure it does, but how exactly I can only guess. It's likely that Bialetti knows quite a bit about the Brikka but as for published details I know of none.

I've been meaning for some time to buy a Brikka, partly because I'd like to try one and partly because I'm curious to stick probes into it. But they are a little bit expensive and I've been busy so it keeps getting pushed forward.

I also can't decide whether to buy the 2 cup or 4 cup model. Which would you recommend?
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 1:17pm

I have the 2 cup model, so I can only vouch for that one. I haven't used the 4 cup version and have no idea if there's a difference. Anyone know if there's a difference?

Of interest, I also found this alternative Moka pot tutorial from James Hoffman:
click here
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 5:34pm

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

I have the 2 cup model, so I can only vouch for that one. I haven't used the 4 cup version and have no idea if there's a difference. Anyone know if there's a difference?

Of interest, I also found this alternative Moka pot tutorial from James Hoffman:
click here

Just the opposite here.  I have the 4 cup model and have only used it.  From what I read the 2 cup may produce a better fake crema.  FWIW.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zyk

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 5:51pm

Update: After heehawing for a week and reading the posts here, I finally made a decision on a moka pot. I'm going to give the 4 cup Brikka a shot. It's due to arrive before the end of the month.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 7:09pm

Zyk Said:

Update: After heehawing for a week and reading the posts here, I finally made a decision on a moka pot. I'm going to give the 4 cup Brikka a shot. It's due to arrive before the end of the month.

Hello Zyk.  You may find the following video my wife and I made about using the 4 cup Brikka.  We made it a while back and posted it on youtube:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:38am

CMIN Said:

So many just leave it on the stove on, well yeh then it'll be burnt tasting lol.

Agreed. As you can read in my post, I advise to observe your moka pot, and to take it off the stove early.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Zyk

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:54am

The YouTube video helped a lot. Thanks! I'll be getting my Brikka, if all goes well, on Friday. A few break in runs and we'll see how everything goes once I get some practice. :)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Need Some Advice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320571184158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+