Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Need Some Advice On Moka Pots
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Need Some Advice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Zyk

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Need Some Advice On Moka Pots

Hello guys. I'm new to this site and in general new to the coffee world. My experience with coffee has been only with a drip system. Frankly, I think I need some new experience.
I have been doing research into moka pots and I think tis is the route I want to explore more than an aeropress or French press.
I was wondering if anyone had links, resources or personal experience in this area of coffee brewing. My main interest lies with Bialetti and Vev Vigano products. I'm trying to make a very educated purchase towards something that will be long lasting and enjoyable. With so many models of aluminum and stainless steel it is very confusing to what would be best for me since I've never operated one before. Any help would be appreciated.
David/Zyk
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 2:28am
Subject: Re: Need Some Advice On Moka Pots

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

A moka pot is the traditional brewing method most Italians use to make their morning cappuccino or latte. However, what you should know is that, no matter what they tell you, you cannot prepare real espresso with it, because brewing temperature is too high (well above 212F) and brewing pressure is too low (just about 1.5 bar), therefore there's no actual crema. Because of the high temperature the coffee tends to have a slightly burnt taste, especially when using lighter roasts. Still, the resulting drinks can be quite enjoyable.

Here are a few tips for working with a moka pot:
  • Fill in hot water. This shortens the heat up time, and the coffee grounds won't be cooked as long as when you have to warm the whole pot with cold water.
  • Fill the filter basket to the rim and only press the grounds slightly with your finger. Do not use a tamper.
  • Only use medium heat on your cooktop in order to prevent burning the coffee grounds completely. A tradional electric stove or gas stove works better than a ceramic cooktop, because they deliver continuous heat instead of pulse heating.
  • Observe your moka pot and take it off the stove when the coffee starts to run in a steady flow. The residual heat will be enough to finish the brewing process. This prevents burning the coffee too much. Some people cool the pot with cold water at the end to stop extraction resulting in a bolder taste.
  • Prewarm your cups. That way the moka doesn't get cold so fast.
  • Darker roasts (like Italian or Torrefacto) tend to be less temperature sensitive than lighter roasts (city or full city). Moka is not for third wave coffee.

Whether you use an aluminium or stainless steele moka pot is a matter of personal preference. The traditional Bialettis are all made of aluminium. Personally, I don't have any health concerns with that.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Zyk

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 6:46am

I appreciate the input! I know it's not real espresso. I just can't afford one of those machines at the moment. LOL I think I've read so many reviews on those two companies and products that it just caused my head to spin.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:48am

I used to have a Bialetti Moka Express which I passed on to my brother in law 12 years ago. It's about 25 years old now and stills works flawlessly.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 11:21am

NobbyR Said:

... brewing temperature is too high (well above 212F)...

Posted November 21, 2013 link

That's not really true but Nobby likes to add that when there's a moka pot thread.

The Bialetti Moka Express is the classic as I'm sure you've figured out. I have a 25 year old stainless pot that I suspect was made by Vev Vigano. I think mine will easily last another 25 years and I suspect so will Nobby's Moka Express. Some say aluminum heats more evenly. Stainless has the advantage of being easier to keep clean.
Zyk

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 11:26am

They sound pretty reliable from what I've read. Just hard to chose one with my budget. Otherwise, I'd end up with two!
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 2:15pm

Moka Express (Al) 3 cup for $25, 6 cup for $26.
Bialetti Venus (SS) 4 cup for $35.
Vev Vigano Nero (SS) 3 cup for $42.

That doesn't seem that expensive when good roasted coffee costs around $20/lb. If you're willing to gamble a little you could try a Primula moka pot. Their 3 cup model sells for $12.
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 4:02pm

I have a 2 cup Bialetti Brikka. It has the patented spout that creates a fleeting crema, depending on the bean and grind one uses. It does seem to extract some of the oils through this process, but I have no way of quantifying this.

Overall, I really like it--since I prefer strong, concentrated coffee. I mostly drink straight espresso shots at Cafs and my Moka pot at home. And never drink milk based drinks.

I use my Hario Mini hand grinder with fresh beans, often espresso blends, and that works well. I find more traditional espresso blends tend to work better in a Moka pot, but I've also used third wave blends.

I can only speak for my Brikka, since I haven't used or owned any other Moka pot. But I've had it for a few years and never had a problem.

As has been mentioned already, there are techniques to make the process less harsh on the coffee -- by reducing the heating time and exposure to higher temp -- that results in a smoother cup.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 11:55pm

jpender Said:

That's (i.e. brewing temperature above 212F) not really true but Nobby likes to add that when there's a moka pot thread.

Why do you think that is false? The way I understand the way a moka pot works, water boils at 212F (100C), the steam builds up pressure inside the pot, which allows the water to get superheated, and finally pushes the water through the coffee grounds.

jpender
jpender

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:29am

NobbyR Said:

Why do you think that is false? The way I understand the way a moka pot works, water boils at 212F (100C), the steam builds up pressure inside the pot, which allows the water to get superheated, and finally pushes the water through the coffee grounds.

The water doesn't have to boil to generate the pressure needed for it to flow through the grounds.

The pressure is the sum of the water vapor partial pressure and the entrapped air partial pressure. The former rises as the water is heated whereas the latter declines as the water chamber head space volume increases. As a result the brew temperature is not constant; it rises throughout the brew.

When starting with cold water the grounds may be initially infused at a relatively low temperature, say 50-60C, and will increase in temperature throughout the brew cycle. The increasing temperature is required primarily because of the continual loss of air partial pressure as the water is forced upward and secondarily because of physical changes in the grounds. The highest temperature reached depends on many factors including grind, tamping, heating rate, initial air volume to water ratio and initial water temperature.

While it is possible, easy even, to reach a temperature well in excess of 100C, it isn't necessary. And since the highest temperature comes at the end one method of dealing with this that is commonly employed is to halt the brew before this happens.

Here's my moka pot with an embedded thermometer. As you can see in this example the high temperature was 95C and the vast majority of the coffee brewed below 92C.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Need Some Advice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297681808472)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+