Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Best filter coffee machine (is it possible to find a good one)?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best filter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
knisse

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 7:54am
Subject: Best filter coffee machine (is it possible to find a good one)?

Hi guys,

I love testing new stuff, and i've just tried the Gaggia Brera automatic coffee machine, which i did NOT like - the coffee taste was not very good, and the cost of cleaning products would had been extremely high in the long run. I sold it pretty quickly.

So in stead, i have my old Hario Buono (electric) kettle, and a Bodum Bistro Grinder. The grinder is superb, but i would like to get an coffee machine to make the process easier in the morning - hence selling my electric kettle and my V1.

So, is it possible to get a good tasting brew from a filter coffee machine? Is the only one the Technivorm (moccamaster) or are there any challangers?

Just to add; i brew around 1-2 cup(s) a day. Which is why i am asking for any other than the Technivorm as i reckon it would be overkill for my needs.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Best filter coffee machine (is it possible to find a good one)?

The brewer referred to on here as "bonavita" is actually a 120v version of the long standing Melitta "Aroma Excellent" which is (or was) available in the original 230v version as either a vacuum flask version or a conventional glass jug, so any reviews you read about the bonavita are relevant to that as well.  

I say "was" because I'm not sure it is still in their product line as they have introduced a new model "Aroma signature de-luxe".  Like the Aroma Excellent, it has been accredited by the European Coffee Brewing Centre as meeting all their stringent test requirements.  It's possible that having passed the old design onto Bonavita they've moved on to a newer design.

It looks surprisingly (!) like a Technivorm  ;o)

I'm not sure of pricing or current availability.

Worth a look anyway.
Click Here (www.melitta.de)
knisse

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 9:19am

Cheers for the input, the Aroma signature de-luxe is unfortunately quick expensive, 260$ compared to 145$ for a Techniworm here in Denmark. And you are right, they look very similar.

I was hoping to find a bit smaller machine, that still produced excellent coffee. Perhaps Techniworm is just the best, and i have to live with its size.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 3:35pm

Do you mean $US145 ? if so that is quite a good price for a Technivorm, and they are very very good machines. I do not think you will find a domestic machine that is better. I got a good deal a couple of years ago (in the UK) When Clas Ohlsson were clearly getting rid of their Technivorm stocks for eventually as low as 49 (including VAT).  I bought 2 just to get a spare jug and filter and a third for one of my colleagues ;o)

I don't think there are any good small brewers, unfortunately.  I have somewhere a Melitta Aromaboy which makes just 250ml - ideal for just one mugfull. Unfortunately, it only just manages to get up to temperature towards the very end of the brew, and the result isn't very good.

I haven't seen the Aroma signature de-luxe on sale here in the UK yet. At least one seller still stocks the *** obsolete Melitta "bonavita" version though for around 110 (about kr880 ?)

Edit *** correction, still shows as a current model on some of Melitta's European sites
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 9:21am

If you want properly brewed coffee and only 1-2 cups, manual brew is the only good solution.  If you like stronger coffee, a 6-tasse moka pot will make a good mugfull.

I used to do manual pourover every day.  My solution was to get a Technivorm and increase my consumption. :)

BTW, Technivorms cost $300 on this side of the pond.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
Thecoffeenerd

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 6:09pm

The Bonavita and Technivorm brewers are top in it's class (Filter brewer) And I highly reccomend the Technivorm!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
GoodTwin
GoodTwin

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 4:03am

I think investing in an expensive machine isn't usually worth the money, cheep one's can get the job done as well and its less painful when they break down, and in my experience they all do. I just use a DeLonghi.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 10:16am

The problem with most inexpensive machines is that they do not get the water to the correct brew temp of 195 to 205 F, most don't come near the correct temp to brew coffee.

As above, for only one to two cup a day, a manual pour over is a very good way to go. An electric kettle and a cone is all you need. You don't even need the kettle if you have a stove. It will brew at the correct temp, is easy to clean and is perfect for a cup at a time brewing. Add to that the fact that they are very inexpensive and how could you ask for more?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Samskara

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: I have one somewhere
Grinder: Krups blade grinder
Vac Pot: no, but I miss my Budum...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I'm not that dedicated
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 4:25pm

I'd like to expand on this question a bit.  My Technivorm just broke down after years of faithful use, and I can't find a place to repair it (Boyd's seems to have changed loyalties).  If I were convinced another Technivorm would be as long lived, I would just buy another, but I've heard of breakdowns within two years,  So:

1 - does anyone know of a place to repair a Technivorm?

2 -- what sort of durability experience has anyone had with these machines? (mine is circa 2005)

3 -- what would be a second best choice?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best filter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.217707872391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+