Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Technivorm brewing questions
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 9:01am
Subject: Technivorm brewing questions

So I think I'm finally brewing better coffee with my Technivorm and other new brewing tools. I started decreasing my dose because I think my coffee has been a bit bitter and the smell of the coffee is a bit over whelming. Drinking my coffee right now, brewed at 55 grams to one liter and a grind setting of "18" Is somewhat good. The taste is almost there, a tad weak though. The water stopped at around 4:30 I believe, but the coffee didn't stop dripping until around 5:20 or a few seconds more, which seems a bit off as I would say it should finish around 6 mins...As for the taste and time in your opinion should I drop the grind down to "16"? I think the dose is good for my tastes.

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 9:48am
Subject: Re: Technivorm brewing questions

Thecoffeenerd Said:

So I think I'm finally brewing better coffee with my Technivorm and other new brewing tools. I started decreasing my dose because I think my coffee has been a bit bitter and the smell of the coffee is a bit over whelming. Drinking my coffee right now, brewed at 55 grams to one liter and a grind setting of "18" Is somewhat good. The taste is almost there, a tad weak though. The water stopped at around 4:30 I believe, but the coffee didn't stop dripping until around 5:20 or a few seconds more, which seems a bit off as I would say it should finish around 6 mins...As for the taste and time in your opinion should I drop the grind down to "16"? I think the dose is good for my tastes.

Posted October 25, 2013 link

Do you have the TV with the 3 position filter?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 3:07pm

Yes, I have the Technivorm KBT-741 with the 3 position switch.

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 7:06am

I have the KBT741 also and have found this gentlemans brewing technique helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFS25Ca8Tg

I do everything except the last tapping of the basket on the holder.  I really do not think it is necessary and may contribute to breaking the holder.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 9:26am

Believe it or not I was using that technique too! For awhile anyways. I have some questions regarding that technique since you use it....After 30 seconds do you switch to full drip or slow drip? And do you use his ratio or your own?

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:31am

Thecoffeenerd Said:

Believe it or not I was using that technique too! For awhile anyways. I have some questions regarding that technique since you use it....After 30 seconds do you switch to full drip or slow drip? And do you use his ratio or your own?

Posted October 26, 2013 link

After the 1st 15 seconds I stir briskly for 15 seconds making sure all grounds are mixed well (with basket in no drip setting).  I then switch to slow drip.  I use the freiling gold basket.  About a minute till the end of the water drip I give the grounds another good stir then let it go till done (still on slow drip).

I use the Breville Smart grinder and set it to 12 cups, then 2 cups, to make a total of 14 cups setting wise (as the breville only goes to 12 cups).  I have never measured the total amount in grams.   I use 36 fluid oz of water total.  I use the drip setting on the grinder.

Len

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 7:49pm

I decided against a gold tone filter right now, because I want to save money. It's been troubling trying to find a grind setting on my encore...Going to grind a notch finer to "16" Can you send me a large pic of your grind? That would help, as your grind seems to work well for you. I know the grind must be my main problem. Because I filter my water with a brita and I use proper proportions with good coffee. And the coffee still seems low on body :/ I think that this technique will help, especially if I use "Slow Drip" included! That may aid in longer saturation. Maybe that's my problem...

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:45pm

Well, after careful examination of my coffee grinded on setting "16" I think that'll be my sweet spot for the grind. I compared it to canned folgers and the grinds are highly similar and almost equally consistent. The grinds appear less coarse then they were in earlier brews on 18-20. And they look more like what Transcend coffee recommends for the grind on the TV. I'll try using my "Slow Drip" option also as I think this will aid in longer saturation.

steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 3:21pm

for 16oz of water two tablespoons of whole beans, rounded, 32 oz, 4 tablespoons, 48 oz, 6 tablespoons. 16-32 oz, use the small opening, 40-48 oz use the large opening. dont need to mess with the stiring, let the brewer do its thing, and use fresh beans
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 2:42pm

Can you give me accurate weight measurement for the tablespoons, please? Preferably grams. I have been using the above technique from the video, and I finally dialed in the grind for all my different coffees. And It's been worked flawlessly even with the stirring. I do however agree somewhat that the stirring my not be necessary...

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261945009232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+