Coffee: Questions and Answers
Technivorm brewing questions
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
vesteroid

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 10:06am
Subject: Re: Technivorm brewing questions

I have the model with the glass carafe as I wanted one that kept my coffee hot.

I need a recommendation for a good grinder.  I only want to grind for this machine as I have a grinder for my silvia (and dont want to use that as I dont want to change settings all the time)

any ideas of a good grinder?  And should I weigh the beans and use that ratio of 60 grams of beans to 1L water?
 View Profile Link to this post
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 2:10pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

Can you give me accurate weight measurement for the tablespoons, please? Preferably grams. I have been using the above technique from the video, and I finally dialed in the grind for all my different coffees. And It's been worked flawlessly even with the stirring. I do however agree somewhat that the stirring my not be necessary...

Posted November 15, 2013 link

I started using my TechniVorm KBTS with only 50g of coffee for a liter of water (34oz), but eventually nudged it up to 60g/liter. I use an older Starbuck's 'Barista' grinder, which is a re-badged (old model) Solis 166. I started with a grind setting that I used for my previous coffee maker, but realized that the TV was giving me a very astringent brew. So I gradually changed grind settings to coarser grinds until the astringency went away & the sweetness of the coffee came thru. The grind range of the Solis 166 isn't very good (it won't grind coarse enough for French Press), so I ended up just a couple of clicks below its coarsest setting.

I don't do any soaking, knocking, stirring, twirling, spinning or dancing while brewing my coffee. :-)
If I'm brewing 1/2 liter or less, I put the 3-position switch to the 'slow' setting.
If I'm brewing more than 1/2 liter, I set the switch to the 'fast' setting.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
Eiron
Eiron

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 2:17pm

vesteroid Said:

I have the model with the glass carafe as I wanted one that kept my coffee hot.

I need a recommendation for a good grinder.  I only want to grind for this machine as I have a grinder for my silvia (and dont want to use that as I dont want to change settings all the time)

any ideas of a good grinder?  And should I weigh the beans and use that ratio of 60 grams of beans to 1L water?

Posted November 16, 2013 link

I would always recommend the least expensive Baratza grinder for any drip coffee maker. Right now, that's their Encore model. Even better if you can get one from their Refurbished offerings!

I think most (not all) folks here would recommend 60g of coffee per 1L of water.

4wheelcycle

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 6:32am

My wife and I have been drinking somewhat bitter drip coffee for years, but I recently got interested in learning to make better coffee.  I began by exploring various pour over techniques.  When I finally got to the point where I could consistently make decent pour over coffee I bought a Technivorm KBG-741 and now I am trying to do as well with the TV as I can with pour over.

My main concern with the TV is that if I just let it do it's thing it creates a deep central V in the grounds, with lots of grounds piled up on the sides of the paper filter (or my Frieling Gold Filter) at the end of the brew.  To get around this I am currently catching the water with a plastic spoon and spreading it out to the edges of the filter, as I do with pour over, after I initially wait until all the grounds are covered before I stick the carafe into the TV to let it start dripping.

I wonder if TV has ever experimented with deflectors that would let the water to drip in the middle at first and in a wide circular pattern once the grounds are covered.  

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else has developed techniques other than stirring to avoid the deep V effect.  I have tried stirring, but with my current medium fine grind stirring seems to introduce a slight bitterness.  Perhaps a coarser grind would help avoid bitterness with stirring, but my ultimate goal is to get good coffee from the TV with minimal babysitting.  I like the TV, but I want it to be more than an expensive pour over platform.
Eiron
Eiron

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 11:59am

4wheelcycle Said:

... I wonder if TV has ever experimented with deflectors that would let the water to drip in the middle at first and in a wide circular pattern once the grounds are covered. ...

Posted November 26, 2013 link

I've never heard of any trials geared towards this technique, but that doesn't mean you can't experiment on your own! ;-) (Be sure to let us know what you discover!)

4wheelcycle Said:

... I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else has developed techniques other than stirring to avoid the deep V effect. ...

Posted November 26, 2013 link

Is there a reason you want to avoid this? I remember this 'pattern' going all the way back to the '70s, when my mom used her Melitta pour-over. I've never found flavors to off in any manner by just letting the TechniVorm do its own thing.

4wheelcycle

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 1:02pm

In response to Eiron's question about why I don't want to just let my Technivorm do its thing, I agree perhaps I should do just that!

I think my bias toward an even bed of grounds after brewing comes from my earlier experience with pour over techniques - I poured in the center until all the grounds were covered, then I poured in a wide circle around the edges in order to get a level bed of grounds after all the coffee had drained into my cup or carafe.  That led my bias that a deep V, with a thin layer of grounds going up the sides of the paper or metal filter, was "not good".

Another consideration is that most mornings I am only filling my Technivorm up to the five cup mark with water, which makes two 8 oz. mugs of coffee for my wife and me.  I guess it seems more like a pour over situation to me and since I have the time to direct the water out to the edges of the filter that's what I do.

Twice when we have had company I have filled the TV all the way to the ten cup mark and, because I was spending time with our company, I did just let the TV do its thing.  Both times the coffee came out fine, even though I left the carafe in place from the beginning rather than waiting for the first minute or so to slide the KBG-741 carafe under the basket.

Maybe all of this says more about my own coffee making idiosyncrasies than about the TV!
4wheelcycle

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 5:12pm

Time has passed and I have continued to experiment with other Technivorm brewing techniques.  When I do a full pot for company I still just let the Technivorm do its thing, with no special attention from me.  However, for morning coffee with my wife I now grind 50 grams of coffee beans and add 14 oz of water to the Technivorm.  As soon as hot water begins dripping onto the coffee I stir to the bottom of the filter for one minute, with no carafe under the Technivorm (my model shuts off the flow of coffee when there is no carafe).

At the one minute mark I stop stirring and put the carafe under the filter holder.  When the coffee is done dripping I pour more hot water into the carafe to make a total of 20 oz. of coffee.

This technique gives us fairly strong coffee with good body and no bitterness.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 4:17am

I leave the valve closed till the water level covers the grounds - then I open the valve and let it do it's thing.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286269187927)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+