Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
At home workhorse grinder
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > At home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JReado
JReado
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 10:25pm
Subject: At home workhorse grinder

It's time to upgrade. I'm looking for a decent grinder with consistency and range for at home usage. The problem is that I can't seem to find one versatile enough that still has consistency. I switch brewing methods at home depending on coffee/mood/laziness between Chemex, french press, and turkish. Whenever I get something good for my press, my turkish suffers and visa-versa. I suppose I could have separate grinders but I'd rather not. Any recommendations?

PS. Although I am willing to spend some decent money, I also don't want to get divorced either so a middle ground would be nice. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 3:38am
Subject: Re: At home workhorse grinder

I guess the answer is how much will your spouse tolerate before the divorce?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 7:31am

It would be extremely helpful, if you were to disclose your budget.

I am also curious why you are opposed to having more than one grinder. Here's my logic for you owning more than one...you presumably already have one grinder that is performing well for at least one prep method, no?  Therfore, you don't need to replace it, you just need to supplement it with something that will perform well for what it isn't doing well.

Do you have a power requirement?  (ie, manual versus electric)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JReado
JReado

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 8:33am

Budget would be around 400-500 max. I'd prefer something electric but I'm not opposed to manual labor if it will achieve the desired results. The reason I was opposed to more than one grinder is just a quirk. I already have so many presses, ibriks, an espresso machine and a drip brewer, I only have so much counter/cabinet space in my coffee section of the kitchen so if I use multiples, I'd be using up some valuable real estate. If there isn't anything that versatile for the price range, I'll bite the bullet. I've looked at a few that are great for turkish/espresso and I'd get another for other grinds.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:09am

that's helpful.

my recommendation is to have a dedicated stepless espresso grinder, not sure if you have that already or not though.

I'd have another grinder that is good for drip/pourover and press.  I think the OE Lido (manual grinder) is exceptional for that.  The version 1 model sold for $165.  Version 2 is due out soon, but I don't know what the new price will be (though I'd expect it to be close to that, if not the same).  They haven't update the estimated ready "date" of mid-October. I read here recently from a respectable member that the Breville Smart Grinder is great for these methods.

I've never made turkish, and can't advise you really for that.  I do know that Zassenhaus makes a manual grinder that is designed for turkish.  According to www.sweetmarias.com, it's very good.

You might also want to look into the Baratza line for a highly versatile grinder in your price range.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JReado
JReado

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 11:59pm

Thanks! I'm making a list now and checking them out. I'll let you know where I end up and I'll write a review for it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > At home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228780031204)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+