Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
How to Adjust Grind/Temp/Ratio for Drip?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to Adjust...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
PandaMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 3:11pm
Subject: How to Adjust Grind/Temp/Ratio for Drip?

Hey guys,

This is the problem I have been running into lately. I just got a Baratza Virtuoso 586 a month or so ago. I am trying to find the right setting to use with my Behmor Brazen drip brewer. At times, I think I have it dialed in correctly for the bean I'm using, but then I find that the next brew is a bit off, either a tad sour or bitter. This has led me to ponder the following:

• If the brew skews sour or bitter, how do I know what variable to adjust: grind size, temperature, ratio? Is there an easy way to tell which to adjust. (For instance, if the brew is sour, I could either adjust the grind finer, use more coffee for the same amount of water, or raise the temperature.)

Up until now, I have been using 38 grams of coffee for 600 mL of water at 202 degrees. Holding these constant, I have been experimenting with setting 17-24 on my Virtuoso. Very few times does the end result taste perfectly balanced. This is leading me to wonder if the sensitivity around the grind is actually due to using the wrong ratio or temp.

What do you guys do to dial in a brew?
 View Profile Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 3:42pm
Subject: Re: How to Adjust Grind/Temp/Ratio for Drip?

Well for starters...If the coffee comes out bitter, then the grind is too fine. Bitterness in coffee is a sign of something called "Over-Extraction". Is your coffee brewing more then 8 minutes? If so then grind coarser. If the coffee continues to brew longer then 8 minutes then decease the amount of coffee. Use this Brew Factors infographic from Clive Coffee which helps with every problem with coffee and it tells you what to do regarding bitter/Weak coffee also.

Click Here (www.clivecoffee.com)

Also, Darker roast coffee can handle lower temperatures. I would use a little cooler water say around 200 degrees.

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 4:04am
Subject: ...

JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 5:33am

My son and I both have BraZen brewers.  The way we set up the grind was as follows:  

We took a dozen new cup-cake paper cups and ground a bit (3-4 beans) at increasing levels (5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40) in our Baratza grinders and strung them out in a row.  

We had another cup-cake cup with a pinch of kosher salt.  Earlier on, there was a thread about all this and the standard seemed to be "slightly coarser than kosher salt".  In my case, the grinder is set at 24.

After that, adjustments up or down can be made as described in previous posts in this thread.

Remember:  When you brew 600ml of water (half a pot) the brew will be completed in half the time.  So if a full pot completes in 6 minutes, a half-pot will only have 3 minutes of steep time.  That makes a difference and you might need to grind finer to compensate.

When I make a mug with my Aeropress, the steep time might only be 60 to 90 seconds with water at (say) 180F.  I grind at 12 on the grinder.

Jerry
PandaMatic

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 6:45pm

Thanks, all, for the useful tips. I think this discussion is helping me to realize that I have been over-simplifying the difference between bitter and "over-extracted" coffee. I'll be on the look out, but to me and my relative newbness, it's hard to tell if the difference between coffee that is "too strong" and bitter, but these rules give me a good starting point.

A few follow-up questions...

Netphilosopher, you recommend starting with a 16-17:1 ratio. I know I have seen some very detailed posts of your regarding extraction, so what ratio in your experience has yielded best extraction for drip?

JKalpin, you mentioned that there was a thread earlier that referred to this same topic and the consensus was that the grind should be "slightly coarser than kosher salt." Do you have a link off hand?

And thank for the link to the brewing flow chart, Thecoffeenerd. I found it very informative. Just to confirm, yes, the brew in my Brazen is done in around 5 minutes. (I'm actually relatively glad the brew time is fixed because it's one less variable for me to get caught up on.)
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 3:46am

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 3:47am

PandaMatic

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 11:04am

Thanks for all the tips. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge, Netphilosopher. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

As a side note, it seems that much of the issue may have been related to the beans I using. I suspect they may have been part of a poorly roasted batch. I got some of the same beans, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, from a different local roaster and the brews have been fantastic since.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to Adjust...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323910951614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+