Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Best coffee's for FP?
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best coffee's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 4:26pm
Subject: Best coffee's for FP?

Does anyone have any coffee recommendations for french press? I'm looking for what coffee's are best for It mostly. What countries make the best coffee for french press? Brazil? Mexico? And does anyone have a coffee company they like that sells good coffee? If so, which do you like best for FP? Thanks!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 9:55pm
Subject: Re: Best coffee's for FP?

Thecoffeenerd Said:

Does anyone have any coffee recommendations for french press? I'm looking for what coffee's are best for It mostly. What countries make the best coffee for french press? Brazil? Mexico? And does anyone have a coffee company they like that sells good coffee? If so, which do you like best for FP? Thanks!

Posted August 21, 2013 link

There is no such thing as a bad coffe for FP, except just a bad coffee in general.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 7:37am

Kind of an echo to the above.
What do you want to drink? That would be the coffee to buy.
While I have a FP, I am not a huge fan of the method, I do not like the sludge in the bottom of the cup but others do not mind it. To each their own. Lately, my preferred method of brewing is the Areopress, nearly all of the same brew as a FP but without the sludge. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:26am

calblacksmith Said:

...Lately, my preferred method of brewing is the Areopress, nearly all of the same brew as a FP but without the sludge. YMMV!

Posted August 22, 2013 link

MMDV (my mileage does vary).  I personally find the Espro press to be a closer approximation of traditional french press without the sludge.  My preferred method when not at home is currently the Espro press.  I'm expecting that to get balanced out by, if not beaten out by, my MyPressi Twist, once my new tamper arrives.  Only time will tell...For air travel, I prefer to bring the Aeropress.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:35am

To further expound upon my reply, the FP is, to me, the "standard" brewing method.  Short of cupping, I think it gives the truest expression of any given coffee's inherent qualities.  The question is, do you like all of those qualities?  This is where preference comes in.  If you really like certain qualities of a coffee and do not like others, then you want to pick a method that brings out those qualities you prefer and suppresses those you do not.  For example, if you really like the sweetness of certain coffees and do not like the acidity, Chemex is great.  If the converse is true, then v60 might be a better option.  But if you like balance, go with FP.  In other words, it's up to you.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 9:53am

emradguy Said:

MMDV (my mileage does vary).  I personally find the Espro press to be a closer approximation of traditional french press without the sludge.  My preferred method when not at home is currently the Espro press.  I'm expecting that to get balanced out by, if not beaten out by, my MyPressi Twist, once my new tamper arrives.  Only time will tell...For air travel, I prefer to bring the Aeropress.

Posted August 22, 2013 link

If I didn't already have more brewing methods that I can use, I would give the Espro a try! In something like coffee where taste is subjective and personal, YMMV is the rule!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 11:06am

A while back I really enjoyed dark roasted (french) Indian Robusta Cherry. Drank me a 10 lb bag. :p
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:09pm

I'm just looking for some coffee's that pair well with french press. I'm going to go down to a local roaster and coffee company near me and check out some of their coffee's and find something I like. I like to talk to the barista's for information...Maybe they'll make a recommendation.

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 6:31pm

Blue Bottle coffee has a feature on their website where you can select a specific brewing method and it narrows down their coffees accordingly. For press it selected every single coffee except for those specifically roasted for espresso.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 8:37pm

Are there other roasters that have that feature of there website?

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best coffee's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266035079956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+