Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Does anyone have a baseline/control ? (If so, what?)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Does anyone have...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
abcdoug

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Hario Mini Mill Slim
Drip: Bodum electric french press...
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 2:21pm
Subject: Does anyone have a baseline/control [coffee]? (If so, what?)

(This is my first post and I'm not sure if it's more of a question or just a discussion, but eh...)

I'm not really wondering what anyone's favorite brew method is, but rather what is the preferred way of making coffee on a regular basis? ... and/or that is reliable when wanting to experiment?
An espresso machine isn't necessarily excluded, but I've heard that espresso requires skill... and also that the consistent/reliable machines are ... fairly expensive. I'm asking this since I want to know if there's some other gear that I should be (realistically) setting my sights on. For example, if someone says they like cowboy coffee with a specified ratio, grind, "boiling water" for temperature, and brew/steep time, I could possibly be able to come close to reproducing it. The only significant variables would be my beans, and how my grinder performs (also assuming that plus-or-minus a few degrees Fahrenheit isn't important here). I'm not sure if there are other things to worry about, but if someone told me about how they prefer using espresso machine, I'd also have to consider the equipment: I don't even have something like a Baratza Encore, but I've heard that those don't get fine enough for some machines... Since the mechanisms of each machine also differ a bit, the preparation might be a guess.

Right now when experimenting with my Aeropress, I use a Bodum electric French press. It automatically heats and drips the water over the coffee and then I take the pot out of the machine and plunge. Since the machine is, in my opinion, consistent, I use it to taste whatever coffee beans I have and I don't usually worry about my grinder because even though it can produce large flakes and small specks, at least the ratio of flakes to specks is usually consistent (*tongue-in-cheek*).
Sometimes, if I want to compare coffee beans to anything, it'll be - don't get disappointed in me - instant coffee... I've heard some people actually hold Nescafe as decent when compared to most other brands... and that's the kind I have. I'll definitely say that while it doesn't taste like berries or flowers (or whatever crazy words some people will use), the coffee doesn't end up tasting sour/rancid.

I want to be in control of my coffee, but I also want to know what the general consensus is (if there is one) on the brew method/device that can accurately produce/reproduce the same result. ... Kind of like a good hypothesis or a scientific theory!
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 5:17pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Does anyone have...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.182383060455)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+