Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Automatic drip for small quantities /grinder
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Automatic drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frogetteincanada

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:28pm
Subject: Automatic drip for small quantities /grinder

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my old El Cheapo automatic drip with something better (another automatic drip, though; hand-brewed coffee tastes wonderful but I'm not dedicated enough to do that at 6 AM while trying to get an uncooperative toddler ready for the daycare).

It needs to be:
- under 200 dollars (preferably under 150)
- able to handle small quantities:I basically never brew more than 4 cups at a time

So far I'm eyeing either the Zojirushi Zutto, or the Cuisinart Brew Central (because of the 1-4 cup feature). I've considered the Bonavita, but since they recommend brewing a full pot each time, I find it's not worth paying that kind of price for a machine I won't be using as recommended. The Bunn Phase Brew seems to have a failure rate that's too high for my taste. Any other suggestion?

Also, I want to get a burr grinder, which will only be used for drip coffee and the occasional French press. Something relatively inexpensive, reliable and easy to use (I've never used one before).

Ah, and if you'd have a recommendation for an easy to come by coffee brand, it would be perfect. I can't find one I really like since I've moved from Europe.

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
CajunCoffeePress
CajunCoffeePress
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 7:02pm
Subject: Re: Automatic drip for small quantities /grinder

There are several options out there, check out cajuncoffeepress.com and see if that is something you would be interested in.  Good luck and happy brewing!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 5:58am
Subject: ...

knisse

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 8:33am
Subject: Re: Automatic drip for small quantities /grinder

I have the Zassenhaus Brasilia which is good looking and make a decent grind, i would definitely recommend it. Otherwise i would go for the Hario slim mill. Both hand grinders.

Just a thing for you too consider, the Hario V60 manual dripper. (the reasons i have not bought a automatic coffee machine yet, as i am in similar situation as you)
*The coffee machine will eventually break, or something will go wrong - every one of them. Could end up costing you some cash, or ruin a morning if it breaks/something goes wrong that day.
*Most of them require some form of cleaning - some every day - the Hario is just a quick wash.

• The Hario V60, combined with boiling time(where you can grind coffee in the meantime) and a very quick drip takes approximately 5-7 minutes if you just want one cup. If you still want to gind your coffee beans, the coffee machine will not do it much faster - and if you buy a coffee machine with grinder then your cleaning time and risk of failure goes up.
  • with the Hario V60, you have no use for the french press - if you have a heat containing device, then the Hario (if you learn some technique) will make better coffee than the french press - less space in the kitchen!

Otherwise a Moccamaster from (Technivorm) should make decent machines, i have not tried one in a long time.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Automatic drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189244031906)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+