Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Do I need more coffee?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Do I need more...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 2:23pm
Subject: Do I need more coffee?

I'm brewing light and medium roasts, does that mean that I need more coffee per pot because they are not as full bodied? I'm use a 2 tablespoons per 8 ounces of water ratio because anything less than that Is way to strong for my tastes. Does anyone have some better they would recommend? Or have a good ratio that Is not as strong? I have a Auto-drip 8 cup (40 ounces)

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Do I need more coffee?

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I'm use a 2 tablespoons per 8 ounces of water ratio because anything less than that Is way to strong for my tastes.

Posted July 18, 2013 link

The way I read your quote above that's in yellow, it would be weaker.
I believe you meant to say anything more (not less), is way to strong.. {;-)

P.S. Unless you meant anything less (as in water) & coffee stayed the same, then it would be stronger.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 6:33pm

I mean like If I use 2 tablespoons per 6 ounces, then It's strong and It uses too much coffee. What are your suggestions? Looking for a good mild ratio for a 40 oz drip coffee maker. I am using 53.2 grams of coffee for 1183 milliliters.

coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:02pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I mean like If I use 2 tablespoons per 6 ounces, then It's strong and It uses too much coffee. What are your suggestions? Looking for a good mild ratio for a 40 oz drip coffee maker. I am using 53.2 grams of coffee for 1183 milliliters.

Posted July 18, 2013 link

The ratio that you are quoting is nowhere close to 2 tablespoons per 8 oz of water.  That is a 1:16 ratio and you are using a 1:22 ratio.  If it's too strong for you, use less coffee until you get the strength you like.  Light roasts should affect the flavor profile, but you should not have to use more coffee for a lighter roast.  If anything, maybe adjust your grind setting.  But taste is a personal thing, and clearly your taste differs from most on this forum who would use a much stronger ratio.  So basically, asking us what will taste best to you isn't going to get you anywhere.  You just have to experiment until you get the ratio that you like the best.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:13pm

That might be my problem then, I wasn't using the right ratio. I'll look into the 1:16 ratio and try that. What would that come out to be for a 40oz pot? How much coffee and how much water? Grams please!

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:21pm

Remember too since your sensitive to caffeine, lighter roast have more caffeine.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:35pm

I'm kinda sensitive, but It's okay. I found out for a 1:17 brew ratio for 1190 milliliters I would need 70 grams of coffee. I guess I'll give that a try. Better to make strong coffee then over extract or under extract...Figured out a way to find the brew ratios for 1:15, 1:16, 1:17 and so on. Thanks to the Internet. Correct me If I'm wrong!

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 3:14pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I'm kinda sensitive, but It's okay. I found out for a 1:17 brew ratio for 1190 milliliters I would need 70 grams of coffee. I guess I'll give that a try. Better to make strong coffee then over extract or under extract...Figured out a way to find the brew ratios for 1:15, 1:16, 1:17 and so on. Thanks to the Internet. Correct me If I'm wrong!

Posted July 19, 2013 link

Opps got the caffeine sensitivity confused with a different poster lol, my bad.

And your using fresh coffee now and not Starbucks I remember you mentioned right? The brew ratios are good, I don't use drip much but last time I travelled I was at 1:17 with my hand grinder and machine they had at the condo we stayed at. It was some type of new Mr Coffee, better then nothing lol.... everyone else raved about the coffee I made at that ratio with some fresh beans we grabbed. In my mind I was like man if their raving over a Mr Coffee what would happen if they drank from a Bonavita or Techo etc lol
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 4:06pm

Yes, I'm NOT using the Starbucks lol still have It though. I'm using Finca Santa Isabel of Guatemala from "The Roasterie Air-roasted coffee" Best stuff around! I personally think Mr.Coffee sucks but I know what you mean lol So two tablespoons per eight ounces of water Is a 1:17 brew ratio? And Two tablespoons per 6 ounces of water Is a 1:16 or a 18?

CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 2:15am

The standard ratio of water to coffee is 16:1. If you lower the water, it can result to a stronger cup. So, you have to weigh 340 grams of water to 20 grams of coffee. In a cup of water, we have to use 2 tablespoon of coffee. The coffee concentration depends upon your choice. If you like the tastes of your own ratio; then go on.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Do I need more...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265470027924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+