Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
How do you clean your hand grinder (esp. Porlex Mini-Mill)?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How do you clean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Unhookthestars

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:39pm
Subject: How do you clean your hand grinder (esp. Porlex Mini-Mill)?

Hello folks,

I recently got a Porlex Mini-Mill hand grinder as a replacement for my old, worn-down Hario grinder.  When I had the Hario, I used to rinse the various pieces after disassembly and leave the parts to airdry before reassembly.  Recently, however, I've heard it's not a good idea to wash any parts of the grinder with water at all.  Upon a few folks' suggestion, I decided to try using a pastry brush to clean the ceramic burrs, which works well enough.  I've tried to used the same method to clean the cylindrical stainless steel chamber, but a brush doesn't do the job if clearing away the grinds nearly as well as running the chamber under the sink.  Going back to the burrs: To add to the confusion, I've also heard that it's okay to wash ceramic burrs with soap and water. Help!  How do YOU clean your hand grinder -- specifically the Porlex mini -- after each use?  Thank you, all, for enlightening me!

j.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:09pm
Subject: Re: How do you clean your hand grinder (esp. Porlex Mini-Mill)?

I have Kyocera with ceramic burrs and I just use soap and lots of hot water every couple of weeks. No worries.

I think the concern with washing is rust. If you can disassemble the burrs or guarantee in some other way that you can fully dry them then I think it should be okay to wash metal burrs. However this isn't feasible for many grinders. But with the ceramic burrs washing should be okay.

You could also buy a product specifically designed for cleaning the burrs. There's one called "grind" or "beanz" or something like that. You run it through just like you would coffee and it cleans the burrs. I've also read about possibly using a neutral grain like rice in the same way.
Unhookthestars

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 8:02pm

jpender Said:

I have Kyocera with ceramic burrs and I just use soap and lots of hot water every couple of weeks. No worries.

I think the concern with washing is rust. If you can disassemble the burrs or guarantee in some other way that you can fully dry them then I think it should be okay to wash metal burrs. However this isn't feasible for many grinders. But with the ceramic burrs washing should be okay.

You could also buy a product specifically designed for cleaning the burrs. There's one called "grind" or "beanz" or something like that. You run it through just like you would coffee and it cleans the burrs. I've also read about possibly using a neutral grain like rice in the same way.

Posted July 9, 2012 link

Thanks for the advice!  Having assumed that because the Porlex chamber is stainless steel -- and I'm assuming the spring and other non-plastic parts in the interior are as well -- I didn't even think rusting was at all an issue.  That's why I was confused when I was told that washing even the chamber was not advisable.  But, yes, as I said, the burrs are ceramic, so I'm glad to hear that washing/soaping them are just fine.  Do you just use regular dishsoap?  Also, since you also wash the burrs only every couple of weeks, how do you clean the entire grinder unit after each use?

I've heard about the "rice" cleaning method as well although I've never tried it.  Appreciate the advice to try "grind" or "beanz."  I might consider those at some point.  Thank you very much again for the great help!

Cheers,
j.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:28am

I looked around and found differing opinions about the Porlex. One vendor Click Here (www.molecularmixology.co.uk) suggests washing the whole unit whereas others say to disassemble the burrs and wash them seperately. The instructions from Porlex were translated from the Japanese into English Click Here (presso.com.au) and they suggest disassembly for cleaning but appear to also say you can wash main body as well. Maybe disassembly simply aids in fully drying the parts.

I use regular dishsoap, something that I can taste in the first brew if I use it to wash my moka pot. But it doesn't seem to leave any detectable residual taste when used in my coffee grinder. I don't disassemble, just run liquid soap and lots of hot water, then allow it to fully dry.

As for daily cleaning, I don't do it. The holdback is very small, a few hundreths of a gram. There's very little of anything to go stale. The glass collecting jar (I've replaced the original with a mason jar because it's easier to grasp) and the small burrs do get a little sticky after a week or two, so I wash them both. But it's more by sight than taste. Maybe if I let it go long enough it would affect the coffee.

Now maybe you can answer a few questions for me?

- Which Porlex do you have, the short or tall one?
- How much coffee (grams) will fit in it?
- Does it produce an acceptable coarse (press pot) grind?
- How much does the unit weigh?
- How does your Porlex compare to the Hario (grind quality, weight, capacity)?

Thanks!
Unhookthestars

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 7:28pm

jpender Said:

I looked around and found differing opinions about the Porlex. One vendor Click Here (www.molecularmixology.co.uk) suggests washing the whole unit whereas others say to disassemble the burrs and wash them seperately. The instructions from Porlex were translated from the Japanese into English Click Here (presso.com.au) and they suggest disassembly for cleaning but appear to also say you can wash main body as well. Maybe disassembly simply aids in fully drying the parts.

I use regular dishsoap, something that I can taste in the first brew if I use it to wash my moka pot. But it doesn't seem to leave any detectable residual taste when used in my coffee grinder. I don't disassemble, just run liquid soap and lots of hot water, then allow it to fully dry.

As for daily cleaning, I don't do it. The holdback is very small, a few hundreths of a gram. There's very little of anything to go stale. The glass collecting jar (I've replaced the original with a mason jar because it's easier to grasp) and the small burrs do get a little sticky after a week or two, so I wash them both. But it's more by sight than taste. Maybe if I let it go long enough it would affect the coffee.

Now maybe you can answer a few questions for me?

- Which Porlex do you have, the short or tall one?
- How much coffee (grams) will fit in it?
- Does it produce an acceptable coarse (press pot) grind?
- How much does the unit weigh?
- How does your Porlex compare to the Hario (grind quality, weight, capacity)?

Thanks!

Posted July 10, 2012 link

Thanks for the detailed info about your cleaning ritual. I appreciate the links you sent -- very interesting, but as you said, depressingly contradictory (well, the "depressingly" part is my own addendum).

To answer your questions:
-I have the short (mini-mill) Porlex, whose body stainless steel.
-Capacity is officially 26 g but it can conveniently house/grind 30 g
-Have only tried medium coarse (Chemex) and medium fine (AeroPress), but grinder does a good job with coarse grind by all accounts
-Unit weight is approximately 180 g
-Porlex vs. Hario -- Hario wins only on Capacity:  52 g of beans vs. Porlex's 30 g.  Weight:  Porlex is lighter, 180 g vs. 215 g.  Grind quality:  From my experience, Hario burrs wear down after a few months.  No comparison yet with Porlex since it's new but have heard burrs should last for much longer.  Size:  Porlex is much slimmer.  If you brew on AeroPress, Porlex slides easily into chamber.  So, overall, Porlex wins!  Of course, you pay for what you get:  Porlex = $68-70 vs. Hario = $35.  Hope this helped!

Going  back to the maintenance issue:  I'm consulting with my neighborhood baristas tomorrow regarding the contradictory cleaning methods and will let you know what they say!

Cheers, 
j.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 4:40am

I give mine a good vacuuming every now and again with the brush attachment of my cylinder cleaner. Seems to be very efficient though not going to get coffee that's hard stuck to the burrs in which case I'd use Grindz or something similar.
DavidG
DavidG

Espresso: cimbali M32 | pavoni pub1
Grinder: preciso | kyocera cm45 |...
Vac Pot: sunbeam c30c | yama +...
Drip: ccd | woodneck | chemex
Roaster: wbp1 | wepp | bm/hg
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 10:26am

My hand grinder is the Kyocera CM-45.  It has a plastic housing and ceramic burrs, much like the others.  I use it when traveling and some afternoons at the office.

When I am traveling, I usually make coffee in my hotel room's bathroom.  So, I use my toothbrush and water--no soap.

At home, I use an old toothbrush and hot water, too.  If the burrs are really dirty, sometimes I'll put a wee bit of baking soda on them and then toothbrush them.  

I let the parts air-dry on the counter and re-assemble in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
DavidG
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 1:20pm

I wash both my Kyocera CM-45 CF and Hario Slim in soap and water and use my Pallo coffee tool group head brush on the ceramic burrs.

I used to soak the burrs in OxyClean to power out any coffee stains but have found that to be overkill.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Unhookthestars

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 2:36pm

Thanks, al_bongo, DavidG, and yakster for your advice!  Really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
j.
Poser

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:37am

Sorry for the thread necropsy...but I just got my mini.

I have found a good wire (stiff nylon fibers) brush after several grinds (same bean of course)... and a bit of soapy water get the job done nicely.

I personally prefer to disassemble... as it allows for a visual inspection of all moving parts.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How do you clean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273945093155)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+