Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Am I using enough ground coffee in my drip maker?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Am I using...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AustinJerry

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 5:36am
Subject: Re: Am I using enough ground coffee in my drip maker?

Well, I tried my experiment yesterday morning, and it didn't go well.  19.5 Oz of water registered at the 4-cup level on the coffee maker, compared with the 7-cup level I normally use.  I used the amount of coffee to achieve a 1.75g to 1Oz ratio.

Anyone who has had an alcoholic beverage is likely to have experienced a time when the thought , "Uh-oh, I just had one too many...", crosses the mind.  With me, the same thing occurs when I have had too much caffeine.  Yesterday's brew immediately tasted very strong to me.  The flavor of the coffee was very good (I used a nice peaberry blend), but I could tell that it was much stronger than I was used to.  After only one cup, I started to get a caffeine headache, and had to wait an hour before pouring a second cup.  I couldn't finish the second cup, and ended up pouring the rest of the pot down the drain.

Perhaps I am developing a caffeine intolerance.  Perhaps it's because I am drinking the coffee on an empty stomach.  All I know is that the 1.75G to 1Oz brew ratio is much too strong for my tastes.  I'll go back to what I was using for now.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 5:45am

If that happened off one cup at a normal ratio like that, your just extremely caffein sensitive. Have you thought of buying decaf beans/blends?
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 2:57pm

AustinJerry Said:

Well, I tried my experiment yesterday morning, and it didn't go well.  19.5 Oz of water registered at the 4-cup level on the coffee maker, compared with the 7-cup level I normally use.  I used the amount of coffee to achieve a 1.75g to 1Oz ratio.

Anyone who has had an alcoholic beverage is likely to have experienced a time when the thought , "Uh-oh, I just had one too many...", crosses the mind.  With me, the same thing occurs when I have had too much caffeine.  Yesterday's brew immediately tasted very strong to me.  The flavor of the coffee was very good (I used a nice peaberry blend), but I could tell that it was much stronger than I was used to.  After only one cup, I started to get a caffeine headache, and had to wait an hour before pouring a second cup.  I couldn't finish the second cup, and ended up pouring the rest of the pot down the drain.

Perhaps I am developing a caffeine intolerance.  Perhaps it's because I am drinking the coffee on an empty stomach.  All I know is that the 1.75G to 1Oz brew ratio is much too strong for my tastes.  I'll go back to what I was using for now.

Posted July 15, 2013 link

That definitely sounds like a caffeine intolerance to me.  One cup should not do that, no matter how strong it is.  It's possible that it's the lack of food, but I doubt it.  A normal reaction to "too much" caffeine would be getting jittery, heart racing, maybe feeling a little light-headed.  Headache is typically a reaction to caffeine withdrawal unless you have caffeine intolerance.
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 3:33pm

Yeh that is some serious caffeine intolerance to have that happen after 1 cup, even a crazy strong one. I don't know why but caffeine has no effect on me, not even after a couple shots or multiple drinks sometimes through the day. And def had no tolerance built up as I used to rarely drink coffee and then went full steam ahead lol. But I guess everyone is different, I workout and drink two protein shakes a day made with whole milk and pry another 2 glasses of whole milk at some point in the day (nevermind food) and my stomach is fine. There are guys that lift that can't even have a glass of skim milk, or any protein but Iso form and only mixed with water (blechh).... or they'll be begging for mercy in the bathroom all day lol.

Austin have you considered switching to decaf? That could allow you to brew a higher/normal ration = yummy tasting, w/o the caffeine sides that your sensitive too.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 3:48pm

In response to another poster, it actually DOES make a difference how much coffee you use depending on the brewing device. More importantly, the grind FINENESS will REALLY make a difference as well.
For instance, for the same ratio of coffee/water, I must grind significantly coarser for my BraZen than for my Bunn STX. The reason is the brew time, and pre-infusion the BraZen performs.
This goes for manual pour-over devices as well, each asking for a differing grind fineness, and often brew ratio.

The OP is using PRE-GROUND coffee, which is ANOTHER flaw, perhaps a fatal one as pertains to taste and may even be contributing to his "intolerance" issue.
He at least should get a refurb Baratza Encore (I tested it, and purchased one for a client) and get the same coffee in whole bean.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AustinJerry

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 4:24pm

I hope you are not referring to me as using pre-ground coffee!  I use a Bodum burr grinder.  It has a little icon on the dial for drip coffee makers, which is finer than I use for a French press, but not as fine as espresso.

I think my intolerance may be affected by drinking a lot of coffee on an empty stomach.  Anyway, I will try another experiment.  Using the same amount of water, I am going to increase the bean dose several grams a day until I reach a balance between a richer taste, and not going over the top with respect my intolerance.
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:06pm

AustinJerry Said:

I hope you are not referring to me as using pre-ground coffee!  I use a Bodum burr grinder.  It has a little icon on the dial for drip coffee makers, which is finer than I use for a French press, but not as fine as espresso.

I think my intolerance may be affected by drinking a lot of coffee on an empty stomach.  Anyway, I will try another experiment.  Using the same amount of water, I am going to increase the bean dose several grams a day until I reach a balance between a richer taste, and not going over the top with respect my intolerance.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

or switch to decaf if your that sensitive, which you appear to be so.
AustinJerry

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:15pm

I would rather kiss my sister, thanks.  Coffee without caffeine--what's the point?  I just need to control my intake.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:21pm

AustinJerry Said:

You said "I use fresh-ground recently-roasted coffee."
You list no grinder. I put 2 and 2 together. First off, HOW recently was it roasted? 2 days, 2 weeks?
I must say your grinder is barely worthy of artisan roasted beans.
That said, try going with 40oz of water, and START with 7 grams of coffee per 5oz of water.
Move up or down as regards the coffee. For your coffee machine, the grind should be a somewhere between table salt and kosher salt.

As regards your machine, I'm willing to wager your brew temperatures are lacking. 200f is the recognized "norm" for brew temperature. (Give or take a couple of degrees depending on the coffee, and degree of roast.)

I would recommend you purchase a manual pour-over device, perhaps a small Chemex, as it still does a good job even without one of the special long, curved nosed pouring kettles.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:44pm

AustinJerry Said:

I would rather kiss my sister, thanks.  Coffee without caffeine--what's the point?  I just need to control my intake.

True but your putting up with a really weak cup just to get caffeine which your sensitive too (some are). Be like going to a Sushi bar and only being able to eat California rolls, and not all the good ish lol. Do you just drink it randomly, and not with breakfast or anything? Try that, who knows you may be able to withstand a nicer tasting and more caffein kicked up cup not being on an empty stomach.

Bodum Bistro is actually a pretty poor grinder with big retention. Meaning what your grinding and measuring to put in may be the correct amount, but with a nice amount of stale grinds as well and it lacks in grinding consistency. Something like the Baratza Encore is pretty cheap, and not only has way better grinding ability and control of fines etc... but has little/no retention. What beans are you using too?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Am I using...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286093950272)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+