Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Will a variac help me out here?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Will a variac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:48pm
Subject: Will a variac help me out here?

I know this has been posted a million times but I can't seem to find a definite answer on the net.. I own a Behmor, just moved into a 140yr old house.  I tried running my Behmor on all outlets rated at 15A anywhere in the house.  I have a 100A breaker downstairs and my Kill a Watt reads 123V when not in use on all 15A plugs.  I assume because the wires in the house are old I am not able to get full power.  When my Behmor is on I get a drop too 115-117V and around 1000W power. This is the same anywhere in the house.  Will a Variac boost the power enough to fully power the Behmor?  If this doesn't work I may down the road just get a 2000W inverter and plug it into my car. :p  I roast in the garage with my Sono so it would work.

Please help!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Will a variac help me out here?

Even 115V is still within the proper range.  Are you sure that running at 1045 watts vs 1000 watts will make any difference in a thermostatically controlled device?
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 1:47pm

I think you have to tell us:  What's not working?

I just finish 2 roasts where the no-load voltage was around 119V and under load around 117V.  I had no problem completing the roasts in a reasonable time, which was around 15 min for a 10 oz roast.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 2:23pm

Sorry I am talking about a full pound roast.  I am able to complete a half pound roast but no further than city roast. I use me Behmor for sample only right now so I need to be able to do 220g  454 g roasts.  My Sono only allows for 666g roast size.  I guess what I am really asking is
  1. Can I roast a 1/2 pound green to FC with only 1000W of continuous power?
  2. Will a Variac boost my wattage up to full 1600W?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 3:22pm

Burner0000 Said:

Sorry I am talking about a full pound roast.

Posted July 10, 2013 link

That's really pushing the upper limit of the Behmor & it may not do a roast that size satisfactory.
A variac would be able to boost your voltage for a 1lb/454gram roast from your stated 115 - 117vac to where ever you want to set it under a full heat/load condition. You'd have to be very careful & under the roast programs analog cycle on & off times, the voltage WILL spike when the heating elements cycle off., then off.., etc.
The sweet spot for my Behmor is 12 oz/340 grams to roast within a timeframe that isn't baking the beans.

Can I roast a 1/2 pound green to FC with only 1000W of continuous power?

Yes, as the quartz heaters are 550 watts X two = 1,100 watts.
I can & have done a 1 lb roast to 2nd crack FC & had time left over to spare.

Will a Variac boost my wattage up to full 1600W?

No.
The full power rating for the heaters as I stated is 1,100 watts. That stated 1,600 watts is the maximum draw for all the internal circuitry, two control boards, display, motor, etc.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:46pm

Ok.i didn't know the heaters were only 550w. I ws using profile 5 now that i think of it. I will try roasting agan soon nd post the results. Thx guys!
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 4:50pm

A Variac may help you.  I recommend that you keep the Kill-O-Watt on the line before the Variac and put a simple voltmeter (you can get a little Harbor Freight DVM for ~$5) after the  Variac.

The size of the breaker (or fuse) is not the only issue but the length of the run from the outlet as well.  For example my garage is mainly wired with 15 amp service (#14 Romex).  Several receptacles are on the same the same breaker.  If I plug my compressor into one near the breaker it will start and run. As I move to receptacles farther away it gets marginal and at the receptacle on the far wall It fails to start and trips the breaker.

I see Jerry is reporting a small drop from roaster off to roaster on.  I'm guessing he has 20 amp service (#12 wire) and a fairly short run.
I think last time I looked at my kitchen counter outlet with my 700 Watt Hot Top I saw 120 volts roaster off to 116 volts on at full heater power. I have 20 amp service with a moderate length run.

Phil

Burner0000 Said:

I know this has been posted a million times but I can't seem to find a definite answer on the net.. I own a Behmor, just moved into a 140yr old house.  I tried running my Behmor on all outlets rated at 15A anywhere in the house.  I have a 100A breaker downstairs and my Kill a Watt reads 123V when not in use on all 15A plugs.  I assume because the wires in the house are old I am not able to get full power.  When my Behmor is on I get a drop too 115-117V and around 1000W power. This is the same anywhere in the house.  Will a Variac boost the power enough to fully power the Behmor?  If this doesn't work I may down the road just get a 2000W inverter and plug it into my car. :p  I roast in the garage with my Sono so it would work.

Please help!

Posted July 10, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 5:55pm

I will try to roast a 1/2 lb to full city tomorrow. If I got the juice to roast half pound then I can roast a full pound.   I'm gonna watch the kill a watt and look for drops. I got a feeling I wont have an issue because i read 123V when nothing is plugged in. Well see.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 6:29pm

Burner0000 Said:

I will try to roast a 1/2 lb to full city tomorrow. If I got the juice to roast half pound then I can roast a full pound.

Posted July 12, 2013 link

You have MORE than enough juice, without a variac.
It's the profiles P1, P2, P3, P4, P5., & the way the power is distributed that I think you might not understand..?  

Been too long since I've last roasted, (2 months+ {but TONS of roasting logs though}), & I'll have to look at the manual. Set at 1 lb P1 A, for 16 oz/454 grams & let me/us know the results.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:19am

I just roasted some Columbia on the P1 setting. I did notice a dropin power down to 113v near the end of the heat cycle.. I maxed the time out and was only able to get a C+ roast.. On the bright side I can just use the 1 lb setting for darker roasting. :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Will a variac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280286073685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+