Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Sunbeam Coffeemaster cord problems, unsafe rewiring
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Sunbeam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Insomniac20k

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: Capresso thing
Drip: I'm not an animal
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:53pm
Subject: Sunbeam Coffeemaster cord problems, unsafe rewiring

I picked up an old Sunbeam vacpot at a consignment shop for 15 bucks because they didn't have the cord. I didn't think finding something to plug into it would be hard, but alas, I failed and it sat in the closet for a year. I found a cord that looked like it should work at a thrift store, but the plug was too big. So I took the plug part off and wrapped the metal pieces in electrical tape and stuffed them on and it worked beautifully. I made one of the best pots of coffee of my life.

However, the electrical tape melted. Obviously I am not an electrical engineer, but the cord didn't get hot or anything so I'm thinking if I can find a safe way to connect the cord to it then it wont be an issue. Can this be done? The only place I can find the cord online seems a little shady and I'm leery of buying another cord sight unseen.

I'm not concerned with keeping it original or anything, I just want to make more amazing pots of coffee.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:14am
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Coffeemaster cord problems, unsafe rewiring

Vac pots make great coffee. Is the heater attached to the pot or is a base you can remove the pot from? If you can remove the pot and the bottom of the pot has a flat on it, you can use the pot on your stove.

Over the years, there have been many different plugs attached to appliances for the home. If you know what you are doing, you should be able to attach the cord permanently to the base but you will void the warranty.... :O

There may be safety issues or concerns with your home owners insurance as the device was no longer "stock" and if there is a fire, you might not be covered but there is not electrical reason to not be able to attach the cord.

I can't give you "permission" to do it but if you really want to use the maker........ ;D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Insomniac20k

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: Capresso thing
Drip: I'm not an animal
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:14am

The heating element is built into it, so the stove is a no go.

My problem is that I don't know what I'm doing. Is there something besides electrical tape that will insulate it but not melt?

Now that I think about it, it could just be melting from the heat of the pot and not the electricity.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:13pm

Insomniac20k Said:

The heating element is built into it, so the stove is a no go.

My problem is that I don't know what I'm doing. Is there something besides electrical tape that will insulate it but not melt?

Now that I think about it, it could just be melting from the heat of the pot and not the electricity.

Posted November 21, 2012 link

I have a Proctor Silex Percolator that has a plug that fits into my Sunbeam C30. I haven't tried to use it but it does fit in there well. Use this info at your own risk! ; )

Sunbeam plug on the left, Proctor Silex on the right in both photos.

EricBNC: Perc Vac plugs2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:42am

If you are sure that the female pins of your cord are tight and the wiring to them is OK, clean all the tape from them.  Coat the outside of them with RTV (clear bathtub calk). Cover the outside of the pins with about 1/8" thick RTV. and cover the connection of the wire to the pin but be sure to keep the inside of the pin clean.  After the RTV cures make a potting mold of stiff paper like a manila folder  to insert into the socket of the brewer with holes for the pins to pass through.  Seal all the gaps with non drying modeling clay.  Push the female pins on to the pins of the brewer and with the brewer on it's side with the connector pointing up fill the gaps with J&B Weld.  Allow to cure overnight then pull the new connector out and sand or file it until it is aesthetically acceptable.

Phil

Insomniac20k Said:

I picked up an old Sunbeam vacpot at a consignment shop for 15 bucks because they didn't have the cord. I didn't think finding something to plug into it would be hard, but alas, I failed and it sat in the closet for a year. I found a cord that looked like it should work at a thrift store, but the plug was too big. So I took the plug part off and wrapped the metal pieces in electrical tape and stuffed them on and it worked beautifully. I made one of the best pots of coffee of my life.

However, the electrical tape melted. Obviously I am not an electrical engineer, but the cord didn't get hot or anything so I'm thinking if I can find a safe way to connect the cord to it then it wont be an issue. Can this be done? The only place I can find the cord online seems a little shady and I'm leery of buying another cord sight unseen.

I'm not concerned with keeping it original or anything, I just want to make more amazing pots of coffee.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NameGame

Expertise: I like coffee

Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, C30A
Drip: Shamed to admit it
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 12:41pm

I sure hope you people don't move into my apartment building! You're going to burn yourselves down!

It's not at all surprising your electrical tape melted as the bottoms and connectors of those Coffeemasters get HOT. The original plugs were bakelite, which resists heat. You did not mention the model number, but I presume it uses the 1/2" plug, which was the common standard size for coffee makers.

The plugs and cord sets can still be found. They used to be commonly sold at hardware stores, so if you have an old-timey one in your neighborhood, it's likely they still have them. Otherwise, I found them by a simple Google search. They sell on ebay and various vendors. The best price I found was $5.99 and $6.99 for a 3' and 6' cord set, respectively. Google search using keywords like bakelite vintage miniature plug.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Sunbeam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239707946777)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+