Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Auto-Drip coffee Is sour
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Auto-Drip coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:24am
Subject: Auto-Drip coffee Is sour

I own a Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup Auto-Drip coffee maker. This morning I grinded some Starbucks coffee and brewed a half pot. The coffee was sour tasting and very nasty. Didn't even drink all of It. I use a Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder and I used a grind this morning that was pretty fine. Like a little finer then table salt almost. Maybe something you would use with a aeropress or a tad finer. I'm thinking I should go a lot coarser? I like strong coffee so I assume I should use a stronger ratio also? And If I'm brewing half pots with this machine will that make my coffee weak?

I use 1130 grams of water to 65 grams of coffee. I started another forum a while back trying to figure out the issue with this coffee maker. Should I use more coffee? Or try a coarser grind? What can you suggest. I have covered all of the variables like the water and temperature and everything. Thanks in advance!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
 View Profile Link to this post
EndTwo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:54am
Subject: Re: Auto-Drip coffee Is sour

I dont know Starbucks beans, but from what I've heard from other users, that might be your problem.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 9:19am

Can try going coarser and see, but also throw out the Charbucks beans. No serious lol, no matter what you do, the coffee will taste bad. Their beans are long since stale by the time you buy them, and their way over roasted and taste like char (no bean character or anything as that's all been burnt out). Stale beans will give off a sour, + burnt w/ charbucks, taste. As far as the ratio, your within range, 17:1 is fairly norm but you could adjust if you want. Can you acquire fresh roasted beans from a place in your area (most good shops, not Charbucks, carry fresh batches constantly, obviously lol) or you could order online, you'll see a massive difference in taste.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:03am

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I own a Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup Auto-Drip coffee maker. This morning I grinded some Starbucks coffee and brewed a half pot. The coffee was sour tasting and very nasty. Didn't even drink all of It. I use a Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder and I used a grind this morning that was pretty fine. Like a little finer then table salt almost. Maybe something you would use with a aeropress or a tad finer. I'm thinking I should go a lot coarser? I like strong coffee so I assume I should use a stronger ratio also? And If I'm brewing half pots with this machine will that make my coffee weak?

I use 1130 grams of water to 65 grams of coffee. I started another forum a while back trying to figure out the issue with this coffee maker. Should I use more coffee? Or try a coarser grind? What can you suggest. I have covered all of the variables like the water and temperature and everything. Thanks in advance!

Posted June 29, 2013 link

How long have you had the Phase Brew?  I had one for 2 full days until it crapped out.  You mention that you have covered all the variables like temp, etc.   Are you experiencing the issues that I had with the Phase Brew I once had:   The digitals were all over the place, never any consistency as to when it would start to brew (after receiving a digital acknowledgement from machine that it was brewing); length of time till supposed correct brew temp was achieved then water dispensed.  

My Phase Brew finally totally crapped out.  The machine has very bad reviews yet I thought I would give it a chance.

I mention all of the above because I wonder if the same issues may be happening with your machine causing extraction issues.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 3:54pm

Believe It or not, my phase brew works great! Except the fact that the coffee sucks :/ I got a replacement thinking the sprayhead was faulty (Flow Restrictor) And It was just the sprayhead. Not the brewer! :D But the replacement I have now seems a lot better. Bunn has been working hard to fix the issues and It seems like they are getting better. My phase brew works like It should and I ran a test to check water temperature and to make sure the water was coming out correctly like a shower head during the brew...It looks like It's all correct. So, what do I need to do to get better coffee with It? Grind coarser?

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 5:59pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

Believe It or not, my phase brew works great! Except the fact that the coffee sucks :/ I got a replacement thinking the sprayhead was faulty (Flow Restrictor) And It was just the sprayhead. Not the brewer! :D But the replacement I have now seems a lot better. Bunn has been working hard to fix the issues and It seems like they are getting better. My phase brew works like It should and I ran a test to check water temperature and to make sure the water was coming out correctly like a shower head during the brew...It looks like It's all correct. So, what do I need to do to get better coffee with It? Grind coarser?

How is your water?  What variety and roast level coffee bean you getting from Starbucks?

Personally the only Starbucks roast I ever liked, when brewed on my own, was their Espresso Roast.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 7:28pm

I use a PUR 2 stage water filter pitcher, my water Is very clean. And I use dark roasted "Caffe Verona" Starbucks coffee. One of my favorite blends!

CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 9:31pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

So, what do I need to do to get better coffee with It? Grind coarser?

.Like I said, chuck the Charbucks beans, your buying beans that can be 6+ months old, and burnt, since they roast all the character out of the beans (so all their stores have consistency, burnt consistency, but still consistency lol) so all your left is an ashy/burnt log taste + that sourness you see which is generally what stale beans taste like. Even their light roast is dark. You need to get some fresh roasted beans, you didn't put your location in as otherwise we could see what's in your area (plenty of roasters online to order as well). Otherwise using Starbucks is like trying to canoe up river w/o a paddle ;) .Your brew ratio is pretty much spot on at 17:1, get some good beans and it'll be a night and day difference.

Some people like that, until they try some fresh beans. I too did, as before I got into coffee that's just what I assumed coffee was like. Now it taste like a liquid cigarette/cigar too me lol.
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 12:04am

I'm gonna repeat myself and say freshly roasted beans.
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:36am

Thecoffeenerd Said:

I probably don't need to say this, because it's already been said so many times, but hey, why not?  Get better beans.  Freshly roasted.  This is the first step in making good coffee.  Second is grinder.  Third is brewing technique.  But if you don't START with good coffee, you're not going to END UP with good coffee.  From your other posts, you have clearly been trying to tweak all of your different brewing methods, which is great.  But you will never know if you are doing it right unless you have good coffee to begin with.  It has been noted many times on this forum that good technique can make mediocre coffee taste good.  While this is true, many would argue that there is nothing mediocre about Starbucks.  It's bad, plain and simple.  They start with cheap beans, they over-roast them so that you can't tell how cheap they are, and then they sit on a shelf for months.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Auto-Drip coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298882961273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+