Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
2nd Grinder for Non-Espresso Needs
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > 2nd Grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CWirth

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 8:02pm
Subject: 2nd Grinder for Non-Espresso Needs

Hello,

I currently have a Baratza Preciso that I use for espresso and non-espresso needs. However, I am looking to get a second grinder for French press, pour over, vac pot, etc... Would a Capresso Infinity work for this? I am considering the Infinity and the Encore although for drip only I figured I may be able to save $50 by going with the infinity.

Your thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 3:59am
Subject: Re: 2nd Grinder for Non-Espresso Needs

Infinity would be fine for coarse grinding.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 4:36am

I use the Preciso for all other brewing and a Vario for espresso. The Vario is great for espresso grinding and beats the Preciso in that area but the Preciso is better at coarser grinds then the Vario. The nice thing with this setup is the Preciso is very capable of espresso grinding so is wonderful to have if I need two grinders for espresso duty for gatherings.

So probably not the answer you where looking for or money you want to spend. However I believe you will taste the difference in non espresso brew methods switching those duties to a Capresso, my setup improves your espresso while keeping your coarser grinding in a great set of burrs for those duties.
CWirth

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 6:01am

germantownrob Said:

I use the Preciso for all other brewing and a Vario for espresso. The Vario is great for espresso grinding and beats the Preciso in that area but the Preciso is better at coarser grinds then the Vario. The nice thing with this setup is the Preciso is very capable of espresso grinding so is wonderful to have if I need two grinders for espresso duty for gatherings.

So probably not the answer you where looking for or money you want to spend. However I believe you will taste the difference in non espresso brew methods switching those duties to a Capresso, my setup improves your espresso while keeping your coarser grinding in a great set of burrs for those duties.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

While I would love to have this setup and will have something similar in a few years, it is just not in the cards at the moment.

However, this leads me to ask whether I should go with the encore over the Infinity. The lack of  micro adjustability would not be critical for non-espresso needs and I am a assuming (I may definitely be wrong about this) that the burr set on the encore would not be drastically different from the Preciso. At this moment my decision is essentially $125 or lower for a second grinder, use my Hario ah and Grinder for non-espresso needs, or switch Preciso settings constantly.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 6:32am

CWirth Said:

While I would love to have this setup and will have something similar in a few years, it is just not in the cards at the moment.

However, this leads me to ask whether I should go with the encore over the Infinity. The lack of  micro adjustability would not be critical for non-espresso needs and I am a assuming (I may definitely be wrong about this) that the burr set on the encore would not be drastically different from the Preciso. At this moment my decision is essentially $125 or lower for a second grinder, use my Hario ah and Grinder for non-espresso needs, or switch Preciso settings constantly.

The Preciso burrs are excellent for coarser grinds, they limit the fines so over extraction of staid fines is limited. Those burrs are night and day to my older Virtuoso burrs. Just saying the Capresso will certainly be a step backwards from the Preciso grind at coarse settings. The finite control is really just for espresso and not needed for coarse grinding.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 6:40am

CWirth Said:

Encore has its own burr set, looks like the Preciso but it's slightly different from what Baratza said. Pry the best coarse grinder for the money, just figured if you wanted to save some money the Infinity is fine, but I would give the edge to the Encore.

The Preciso though grinds awesome for coarse, however I think if your switching a lot between coarse and espresso, that puts a lot of wear on the adjustment ring/collar which can cause it to fail sooner. Pry why I had to just recently replace mine. But yeh like Rob said above the new burr set in the Preciso is way better then the original Virtuoso/Preciso burrs.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 9:30am

Encore OR Infinity?  Infinity retains a lot of the grounds so I'd go for the ENCORE and not look back.

I use Infinity for back-up when needed. Have to really mess with it to get most retained grounds out or that effects your next batch.  At least mine has the plastic housing so it's lightweight and that makes it easier to handle.  Models 560 and 565 the same except for the exterior (housing or case).
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 5:58pm

I just recently upgraded to the Preciso for pour overs myself.  Having experienced the difference, I would never go back.  My suggestion would be to take the 100 dollars you want to spend and set it aside.  Start saving and get the Virtuoso with the Preciso burrs when you can afford it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > 2nd Grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26353096962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+