Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What's your greatest annoyance about making coffee?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What's your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
slickfast

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:51am
Subject: What's your greatest annoyance about making coffee?

Hey all,

Currently I'm designing something to contain all the many pieces of the Aeropress so you can throw it in your bag and go. What else is annoying to you?

Would really appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Colin
 View Profile Link to this post
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 3:17pm
Subject: Re: What's your greatest annoyance about making coffee?

My biggest annoyance right now is probably that all the good local roasters close before I get off work on the weekdays and have shoddy hours during the weekends.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 4:23pm

My greatest annoyance is that I don't have a simple gadget that allows me to easily carry all those Aeropress parts and accessories.
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 4:54pm

Well my greatest annoyance for making coffee Is the fact that most coffee companies dont put roast dates on the bags. But I have a good coffee company that I like that does!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:03pm

My greatest annoyance is to make it right, it takes too long. I wish for a Star Trek replicator that really worked and actually replicated what you wanted so I could say, 'coffee my way' and get it perfect every time in an instant.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:39pm

My greatest annoyance is caffeine.
There's no such thing as too much espresso, but too much caffeine can be a problem ;-)

As for the Aeropress, I keep all the parts in a small, military style mechanics cotton tool bag, along with my slim grinder, some beans, & a cup.
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:18am

cerridwyn Said:

My greatest annoyance is to make it right, it takes too long. I wish for a Star Trek replicator that really worked and actually replicated what you wanted so I could say, 'coffee my way' and get it perfect every time in an instant.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Really? I love the whole time consuming aspect. For me, that's what makes it a hobby, not just routine...

Anyways, I hate dialing in the grinder and having to grind coffee for no use after having used grindz... It's the waste-of-good-coffee part that really gets me.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:13am

Greatest annoyance is cleanup.  Preparation is fun, but again cleanup ... thumbs down.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slickfast

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:24am

PandaMatic Said:

My biggest annoyance right now is probably that all the good local roasters close before I get off work on the weekdays and have shoddy hours during the weekends.

Agreed. Who decided good coffee makers should have like banker's hours?

jpender Said:

My greatest annoyance is that I don't have a simple gadget that allows me to easily carry all those Aeropress parts and accessories.

I see what you did there ;). Stay tuned, your solution is on it's way!

cerridwyn Said:

This is SUPER interesting to me. So, what does it take to "make it right"? I'm not making fun of you, I just want to get my head around your process.

jamierayo Said:

My greatest annoyance is caffeine.
There's no such thing as too much espresso, but too much caffeine can be a problem ;-)

As for the Aeropress, I keep all the parts in a small, military style mechanics cotton tool bag, along with my slim grinder, some beans, & a cup.

Haha well, unless you're into decaf I think you're SOL! And totally see where you're coming from with the slim grinder and beans... if there are enough people like you I might be able to actually design a solution.

EndTwo Said:

Really? I love the whole time consuming aspect. For me, that's what makes it a hobby, not just routine...

Anyways, I hate dialing in the grinder and having to grind coffee for no use after having used grindz... It's the waste-of-good-coffee part that really gets me.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

I can see where both of you are coming from. Yes, making it yourself and having a hand in the whole process is part of what makes a coffee great, but when you're late I can totally empathize with just wanting it done so I can get on with my life and not having to compromise on quality. If there was something affordable that got you VERY close to how you'd make it by hand... well that would be interesting.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Greatest annoyance is cleanup.  Preparation is fun, but again cleanup ... thumbs down.

Len

Posted June 23, 2013 link

Couldn't agree more, man. Clean-up sucks.

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming! I'll put a different spin on the question: what's your greatest annoyance about coffee makers?
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 8:47am

cerridwyn Said:

Maybe you wouldn't like my coffee, but since getting a better grinder and modifying my Aeropress so that it holds more liquid inverted (no more stirring down the bloom in order to finish pouring) I have been able to increase the speed of making a single cup considerably. Including time to assemble the Aeropress, weigh and grind the beans, heat the water, brew and press out the coffee, and then clean the Aeropress afterwards, my current speed record is 4:05 3:53 (LOL) (edit: and like calblacksmith notes the total time is mostly limited by how long it takes to get the water to the right temperature). More typically it takes me a little over 5 minutes per cup. Not as fast as a replicator would be, but... what would you tell the replicator exactly? How do you describe the perfect cup in words alone? That conversation by itself could take a long time.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What's your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34449005127)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+