Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Are they Fresh or Not?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Are they Fresh...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bobpies

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 7:14am
Subject: Are they Fresh or Not?

Hi there,

so i have been buying fresh beans for about 2 years now for my rocket giotto.

Mainly sourcing them from "CoffeeBeanShop.co.uk"
I have always identified a freshly roasted bag of beans as ones that have a lot of gas still in them when you pull the shot, resulting in bubbles of crema oozing from the flow of coffee. Right or wrong, this is how i would personally identify it.

More recently the bags of beans i have been getting from here have been pretty bad - the shot results in a pretty crappy looking pour, with little crema - no bubbles and not particularly good tasting. - So much so that i recently tossed 3 bags of the stuff in the bin and said to hell with coffebeanshop once and for all.

I have had dealings with union as well, but wanted a roaster that does my favourite bean - old brown java - and ended up at SmithsCoffee

I just got their beans through the post today, squeezed the bag to get some of that coffee aroma up in my face, but nothing? - Opened the bag took a whiff, pretty bland... and i just thought to myself - ffs here we go again.

Into the grinder, poured a shot and again crappy pour, no crema, no bubbles - they are roasted very dark so have that kind of carbon taste to them, which i dont mind, but i wanted the god damn crema.

So my question is this, am i getting it all wrong, does a gassy bean not come from a fresh roasted bean?
Do you not get a ton more creama from a fresh bean?
or do i have it all right, are these beans stale and is their "Freshly Roasted on the same day and sent out" total BS

In which case, can anyone suggest a UK supplier that actually delivers on this quality

View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Are they Fresh or Not?

In general, fresh beans offgass much more in the first week then they slow down. Stale beans will react like you are describing. Is there a date of roast on the bag or a "use by" or "best by" date? If the day of roast is on the bag, if the roaster is honest with labeling, you know when they were done. Normally if the best by date is there, you don't know ...... beans about when they were roasted.

Perhaps someone in the UK can give some guidance here as to a good source.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bobpies

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 2:18pm

calblacksmith Said:

In general, fresh beans offgass much more in the first week then they slow down. Stale beans will react like you are describing. Is there a date of roast on the bag or a "use by" or "best by" date? If the day of roast is on the bag, if the roaster is honest with labeling, you know when they were done. Normally if the best by date is there, you don't know ...... beans about when they were roasted.

Perhaps someone in the UK can give some guidance here as to a good source.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

from coffeebeanshop the roast date stickers are the same day as dispatch - however from the last batch i received i now get the feeling that they have a stockpile that they just slap their latest dates on as and when they are ordered - and if you get a fresh batch your just lucky.

The ones from smiths have no date on them - the bags they arrived in are flat as a pancake (usually bloated) and smell like... nothing really - they roast is too dark and they oily to boot.

I want to believe that coffeebeanshop do roast on order and dispatch as i have had some GREAT tasting coffee more often than not from here.

I guess my question is, can there just be a bad roast? That results in little gas being given off, no crema, bitter taste and early blonding.
Or is the only way for the above to occur from a stale batch of beans.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 11:01pm

bobpies Said:

from coffeebeanshop the roast date stickers are the same day as dispatch - however from the last batch i received i now get the feeling that they have a stockpile that they just slap their latest dates on as and when they are ordered - and if you get a fresh batch your just lucky.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

Well, I guess it's a matter of trust, because a trustworthy roaster will of course put the actual date on their bags. Anything else I would consider fraud. If you do no longer trust that roaster, you should start looking for a new one.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 7:54pm

You've been buying coffee from them for a while, and just had this bad experience. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt and contact them? Maybe they had a mixup and some older beans got shipped by accident, or maybe they did try and off some older beans they shouldn't have. Either way they might just ship you a fresh batch with apologies, and make sure it doesn't happen again (at least to you). To me that would make good business sense on their part.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:47pm

Have you tried contacting them regarding the issue?
It seems they're having problems on their side.
NobbyR is right, try looking looking for another roaster, hopefully you'll find trustworthy people.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 3:48am

No roast date. No sale as far as I'm concerned.

Did you contact Coffeebeanshop with your complaint? I am all for moving on else where if you don't get the product or service you deserve, but I'd balk at throwing out 3 bags of beans without attempting to get a replacement.

There are quality reliable UK roasters out there. The issue you may have is that they do not generally offer Old Brown Java and the roast may be somewhat lighter than you are used to, reading between the lines of your post.

Hasbean is my go to supplier and I've used Square Mile as a treat. If you're looking for Old Brown Java I would try Whittards on the high street.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Are they Fresh...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243646144867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+