Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
French press brewing help needed
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 12:11pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: French press brewing help needed

It comes out very watery tasting. No body, sweetness or taste. Almost like hot water with a hint of coffee. I'm doing everything right and then some. I'll try the other stuff. I'm hoping my Bunn will perform better...I think It will. You might be right about my taste preferences and how It might not work well for me. We'll see. Oh and yes I steep for 6 minutes. I plunge right as the timer hits 6:00 and I don't believe I see any grounds floating towards the screen. What do you mean by allowing the bloomed coffee to float on the brew water? I might be guilty of that...

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 3:28am

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 6:04am

So, try +2 on my grinder and still steep for 6 minutes as normal for my french press? Ill give that
a try this morning. Ill check sometime about the burr clash. And you want me to  use grind setting -2 or 0 for auto drip then? That was what I was using when I first got It lol

UPDATE: I tryed using +2 on my grinder for my french press. I didn't end up drinking the coffee because I thought that It was going to be bad...lol The grounds at the bottom where imprinted with the filter (The grounds took the shape of the filter, you get It?) and there was a lot of sludge and the grounds looked nasty...Hard to explain really. This french press has been kinda a pain in my butt. Hoping my new coffee maker will do a better job, witch I know It will. Here Is a look at my french press brewing technique and how I make It.

1. Fill two kettles with filtered water (One for brewing and one for preheating...I know kinda stupid haha)

2.Throw some hot water In my french press and my thermos.

1. Measure out beans and wait for the water too cool then I grind them.

2. After I fully add 900 grams of water too 55 grams of coffee I stir at 1:00 and then cover with a small plate because I cannot put the plunger In very well.

5.Plunge the coffee at 6:00 and I usually finish the plunge at 6:20 or more due to resistance. And then I will let the settlement settle for 45 seconds.

Any idea's for a better technique? Better ratio? Anything? :D

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:08am

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:14am

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:25am

Well, I can say I've had Starbucks pour over coffee before. They do not know at all how to do It correctly.  They only seem to do that at the Target by me when they aren't brewing the dark roast coffee :/ I'll try the +2 again and forget about the sludge and nasty looking grinds at the bottom :D When you said "The strike temperature (if below 205F, above which it may cause bitterness) doesn't affect the equilibrium strength, it just changes the time it takes to reach it, but as long as there's sufficient heat (strike temperature >180F) it will reach equilibrium definitely by 6 minutes" What temperature of the water do I need then...? Sorry just making sure I understand...

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:53am

Thecoffeenerd Said:

Well, I can say I've had Starbucks pour over coffee before. They do not know at all how to do It correctly.  They only seem to do that at the Target by me when they aren't brewing the dark roast coffee :/ I'll try the +2 again and forget about the sludge and nasty looking grinds at the bottom :D When you said "The strike temperature (if below 205F, above which it may cause bitterness) doesn't affect the equilibrium strength, it just changes the time it takes to reach it, but as long as there's sufficient heat (strike temperature >180F) it will reach equilibrium definitely by 6 minutes" What temperature of the water do I need then...? Sorry just making sure I understand...

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Starbucks definitely does not do pourover well (at least the one in Manchester Connecticut ... yes they should be shamed).  The "barista" poured all the water at once in the cone, and the grind was WAY too coarse.  I refused the drink and then instructed her how it should be done.  She still screwed it up by pouring way too rapidly and the grind was still too coarse.  Never again.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:13am

The barista that made my coffee (Two different people) Scooped some coffee out of a coffee container and used a measuring cup to pour water In. Unsure of the grind though. And one time the person poured water from the tower into the cup and waited forever to use the water. It was probably to cool to use. She didn't use It right away because they were busy.

UPDATE: Oh and I just weighed out 1130 grams of water for my Bunn coffee maker for that ratio you gave me. It doesn't fill up to the "8" If I use 1180 then that's okay. Any idea's for a better ratio around that amount of water?

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:19am

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261675834656)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+