Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coffee grind question
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee grind...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 12:06pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:31am
Subject: Re: Coffee grind question

I just weighed out 1130 grams of water for my Bunn coffee maker for that ratio you gave me, It doesn't fill up to the "8" If I use 1180 then that's okay. Any idea's for a better ratio around that amount of water?

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:47pm

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 1:32pm

So I just need to use 67.8 grams of coffee for 1180 grams of water? My scale doesn't read the number after the point...You know what I mean? What do I do about that? I'll have to use that ratio or else the coffee won't fill up the pot correctly. 67.8 grams Is 2.39 ounces...But should I just use "67g" On my scale?

Netphilosopher

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 7:05am

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 9:19am

That sounds like a plan. I'll try both ways. I have another important question...1180 grams of water comes just up to the line and you have to think of the water absorption by the grounds. The coffee should still fill up to the "8" on the pot after brewing right?

coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:18pm

Thecoffeenerd Said:

That sounds like a plan. I'll try both ways. I have another important question...1180 grams of water comes just up to the line and you have to think of the water absorption by the grounds. The coffee should still fill up to the "8" on the pot after brewing right?

Posted June 22, 2013 link

I think you're over thinking this a bit.  Try it out.  If you don't have enough coffee at the end, use more water and recalculate.  As a general rule, I have found that the grounds absorb about their weight in water.  This means if you start with 68 g of coffee and 1180 g of water, you can expect to finish with about 1110-1115 ml of coffee at the end.  This is a rough guess, but it gets me pretty close usually.
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:29pm

I brewed a pot and It came out thin bodied...But that could be the fact that those beans may have been slightly old lol. I used setting "0" and It didn't brew up to the 8 :/ But I have decided that I may just brew half pots "6 on the pot" to save coffee beans. Using more coffee means I'll have to buy more and more. I'll just use the first ratio you gave me 1130 grams of water to 65 grams of coffee. That should fill the pot up to the 6 just fine, thanks. As far as the taste...should I drop the grind a notch? -1?

Oh, and I tried that thing you asked me to try for the burr clash. And at around -3 or -4 I heard a very loud shearing noise. What should I do? I'm planning to buy an espresso machine and I want to use the finest espresso grind.

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:13pm

All the coffee:water ratios recommended are starting points, and based broadly on those recommended by the Various coffee associations such as the American and European ones, which also evaluate brewers base partly on those criteria.

They are coffee:water ratios, not coffee:resulting brew ratios.

Taken to decimal points, the precise ratios will have less effect on the brew than (in no particular order):-

The Coffee you use
The brew times
The brew water temperature
The grind level
The type of basket
The type of filter
The Ph of the water, and any dissolved minerals
Your taste buds and preferences.

Once you've got all the above bottomed out, then start worrying about decimal grams of coffee. Brewing coffee is not a precise science, but you can get close to repeatability (if that is a word).

Recommendation.  Use the starting points as just that, and adjust to your particular taste.

Edit - did I mention the age of the beans ?
Thecoffeenerd

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 6:29pm

Here Is a idea of what I use for my coffee to give you a better understanding:

Coffee I use: The Roasterie air roasted coffee of Kansas City (They air roast their coffee and put roast dates on the bags, one of the best coffee company's around here! http://www.theroasterie.com/ )

Brew Time (4 minute brew time and 6 minute water heat phase

Brew water temp: 200-205 degree's

Grind level : Setting "-1" or "0" on Bodum Bistro burr grinder

Type of basket: Flat bottom

Filter type: Bunn filters (Specially made taller and let more oils through)

Water: Pur filtered water (Unknown PH of the water though, It filter out lots of chemcials and TONS of other stuff for cleaner water

Age of beans: Roasted within the week when I buy them. I bought beans last week on Friday and they had been roasted the 10th (About a week old) Usually not even that!

If this means anything to you...that's good lol  Any more suggestions or anything left to say using this information? :D

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee grind...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234168767929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+