Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
brewing larger amount
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > brewing larger...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GENE

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: SL70
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: YAMHA
Drip: CHEMEX
Roaster: I ROAST
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 5:23am
Subject: brewing larger amount

I brew 34 oz in chemex 2.5 min 43 grams of coffee, great cup for me, when I try to brew 40 oz with 50 grams of coffee 2.5 min brew time its lousy, what am I doing wrong?
gene
 View Profile Link to this post
SamTonin
SamTonin
Expertise: Professional
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 2:10pm
Subject: Re: brewing larger amount

Generally, a bitter or sour taste is the mark of under extraction. A sharp taste is the mark of over extraction.

Are you using the same grind size? Generally you would need to make it courser with a greater dose.

My micro-roastery is up and running, be sure to check it out! www.beanofatree.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GENE

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 3:21pm

using the same grind, ill try courser grind, using a rocky hard to go back and forth, kepping the time the same?
gene
SamTonin
SamTonin
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:24pm

It's up to you, I prefer to stop at 2:15min with my pour overs. How long do you bloom for?

My micro-roastery is up and running, be sure to check it out! www.beanofatree.com.au
GENE

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:21am

about 15 sec, i changed my coffee company not so fresh anymore,almost no bloom, with the new company great bloom, but with the coffee being so fresh it keeps stalling in the chemex, same grind, same amount of water 34 oz, same amount coffee, does being fresh have something to do with it?
gene
SamTonin
SamTonin
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:47am

I would say that fresh filter coffee is ok, especially if it has been roasted correctly. Each different coffee usually needs a different grind size and as the coffee is used over the course of a week or so, the grind will need to be changed because the coffee is either coming into its peak or becoming stale.

Lets try and figure this out.

94-96 degrees Celsius water (optional: approx 120ppm TDS)
Pre-heat & pre-wet
Grind, put coffee in, settle flat (optional: poke a half inch hole in the coffee in the centre)

Pour 30mL & bloom for 30 seconds

Then pour slowly in a circular movement making sure not to touch the paper with the stream of water

Never stop pouring until the end

What is the initial dose, final weight & time of the brew?

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:42am

SamTonin Said:

Generally, a bitter or sour taste is the mark of under extraction. A sharp taste is the mark of over extraction.

Posted April 29, 2013 link

This is not that I've heard or experienced. Rather, sourness comes from under extraction or too cool brew temperature while bitterness comes from over extraction or too hot brew temperature...at least that's what I've always read and have experienced.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
GENE

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 8:43am

ive given up on the chemex for more than 15 oz, no grind on the rocky will give decent grind for 34 oz or so. im
only using 48 grams of coffee for 900 grams water and it stalls after 5 min with 3oo grams of water left, trided stoping at five adding and the rest of water to pot, don't taste good. im back to using the commercial bunn, I bloom the coffee over a thermo, slip holder and thermo in place pour in 40 0z water and in 3 min get a decent cup. not as good as 12 oz 3min from the chemex, if I had a 1,500 grinder I could get a good time on the chemex, o well
gene
SEMPER-FI
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 4:06am

emradguy Said:

This is not that I've heard or experienced. Rather, sourness comes from under extraction or too cool brew temperature while bitterness comes from over extraction or too hot brew temperature...at least that's what I've always read and have experienced.

Posted June 19, 2013 link

That is my experience as well.
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 4:19am

GENE Said:

I brew 34 oz in chemex 2.5 min 43 grams of coffee, great cup for me, when I try to brew 40 oz with 50 grams of coffee 2.5 min brew time its lousy, what am I doing wrong?
gene

Posted April 29, 2013 link

A few comments:

1.  Your ratio of coffee to water seems low.  I use 1:17 for the Chemex, but you are using 1:22.  Have you tried a higher ratio?  I realize that tastes vary.
  2.  Your brew time seems slow.  Again, I realize that taste varies, but if you have not tried a longer brew time, it might be worth a shot.  I use 4 minutes.
  3.  How are you controlling your brew time?  Any time you increase the amount of grounds and water, your brew time will go up.  In order to compensate, I change grind, but you say that you have not changed your grind setting.  Are you pulling the filter at the 2:30 mark?  If so, that could explain your problem.
  4.  What do you mean by lousy?  If it is weak and sour, then you are under-extracting it and all of the above suggestions will help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > brewing larger...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285243988037)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+