Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
How'd I do? Present for girlfriend...
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How'd I do?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BattlePope

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 12:15am
Subject: How'd I do? Present for girlfriend...

Hey guys,

So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and she really likes coffee. The extent of her coffee drinking though is a Keurig and Starbucks. I randomly stumbled on a review of the AeroPress and thought it'd make a great present for her. I'm also going to get her a grinder and some whole bean coffee to get her all started but was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations/suggestions/advice on my selections. So far, this is what I've decided to get her:

- Aerobie Aeropress
- Hario MSS-1B Mini Mill
- Kicking Horse Coffee

All this stuff is going to be ordered on Amazon. I heard some good things about the Mini Mill and like that it's manual (durable). I heard the grind is good and is a pretty good bang for your buck. And for the actual coffee...I wasn't so sure. I was planning on ordering some Kicking Horse off of Amazon but would going to a local grocery store and getting some be a better idea? Or is there another online brand I should try?

So...what do you guys think? How'd I do? I am open to any suggestions at all so lay 'em on me.

Finally, I'm going to start compiling a list for her of different resources to check out to help her brew the best cup since I heard the instructions that come with the AeroPress are garbage. Do you guys have any recommended reading for someone who just got the AeroPress? Different techniques/recipes?

Thanks SO much for the help!
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 12:35am
Subject: Re: How'd I do? Present for girlfriend...

that sounds great!  the aeropress and grinder are definitely nice.  The grinder would be suitable for most any brewing method.  Hopefully she is the type to like to tinker with things and wouldnt mind the extra work to get a better cup of coffee.

The beans, though, i would skip.  I've never heard of the brand and havent heard of anyone buying coffee off of amazon...

Depending on your location, i'd go with a reputable local roaster.  Let us know your area and we can likely give you some recommendations.

For ideas on brewing methods, try brewmethods.com haha.  also a simple google search will give you many recipes to try.  

Another low priced brewer to consider is a Clever coffee dripper.  They go for about 20 bucks and makes an excellent consistent cup of coffee.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 6:29am

Kinda follow the above.
Congrats on the presents, you are a great BF!

Aeropress, there is nothing wrong with the stock instructions, not at all. That is not to say that people have have not developed their own processes though. My personal preference is for inverted brewing, it is just easier for me to already have the plunger in the press than to do it the "normal" way. Great coffee either way.

The grinder, I do not use manual grinders so I can not offer advice one way or the other but above seems to like it.

Coffee, UH, skip the Amazon stuff and use a good fresh coffee. Coffee stales very quickly after it is roasted, for espresso, about two weeks and a bit more for other methods of brewing. A quality roaster puts the day that THE COFFEE WAS ROASTED ON on the bag, not a "best by" date.

We have a list of places to start, roasters that we can trust. Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Your location of Cloud 9 makes it hard to advise you of a local roaster that you might be able to stop by and visit. The reason we ask for information in your bio is not to stick our nose in your business but it is there so we can better tailor our advice to the equipment you have and where you live.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 12:39pm

I had acutally tried Kicking Horse coffee a few years ago (before my coffee obcession had fully manifest) and I can safetly say you should pass on it. I didn't like it much back then and I can only assume I'd hate it more now. I recall all of the blends I had tried being heavily roasted (tastes like char) and having no subtlety, even for their "light" roasts. Mind you i prefer light and medium roasts but even then you'd be better served by a good local roaster even if you do like it dark.

Hopefully she enjoys the areopress and you have opened her eyes to how good coffee can actually be.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How'd I do?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.181999921799)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+