Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Is it possible to replace my gear? Without seriously compromising taste.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it possible...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
knisse

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:24am
Subject: Is it possible to replace my gear? Without seriously compromising taste.

Hi everyone

I need some keen advice. Right now i own the Hario kettle & the V-1 pour over. Combined with the Zassenhaus brasilia hand burr grinder. The coffee taste is great, but i am having troubles with the morning rush to get the coffee made, especially if i need to make several cups for others.

What i am looking for, if possible. Is a coffee machine that can do the following:
*Take whole beans, (a coffee grinder that is built in)
*Since i want to replace my entire lineup with this single device, it need to able to just boil water for a cup of tea.
*The taste, it needs to be on reasonable par with my current gear. I know this is difficult to measure,

And some extra requirements that would be nice, but not deciding factors.
*Nice looking, not a hugh chunky piece of steel.
*Able to make a reasonable espresso.
*Reasonable price.

Is this a possible task?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 5:44am
Subject: Re: Is it possible to replace my gear? Without seriously compromising taste.

Machines with built in grinders are generally discouraged around here as they usually compromise quality on one or the other or both.

You're kind of unclear on whether you want an espresso machine or coffee machine. Those cheepo machines that make both do neither well.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:22am
Subject: Re: Is it possible to replace my gear? Without seriously compromising taste.

there's some info missing that will allow us to answer your main question.

1) what's your budget?
2) how long do you spend now in prep?
3) how much of a time reduction do you require to make it worthwhile?

Having said that, I don't think there's a combo machine/grinder (single machine doing both functions) at any price that will match the quality you get from your pour over system.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
knisse

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 7:15am

Hi guys,

1) My budget, i definitely prefer less as possible of course, but on the other hand i wouldnt mind paying 100$ more to get something that is really worth the cost. Lets say around 300-500$ at tops, but of course less is better. (is that a fair budget or impossible to make happen?)

2) I reckon i spend around, 10-15 minutes with heating water time, pour over, burring coffee beans etc.

3) Difficult to say, this isnt exactly about the minutes, the importent factor is that i am able to just start the machine and then i can hit the morning shower while the coffee is brewing meanwhile. The pour-over kind of needs my constant presence.

Regarding the espresso, it was just if it was possible to get the all-in-one solution that was actually able to make decent regular coffee and espresso.
I have the Bialetti stovetop espresso maker that is excellent. But i do like the idea of keeping everything simple and have less devices as possble, so if i could get a good combo machine that would be prefered, but if not and i have to keep espresso and regular coffee separated then i am okay with that.

Just to add, I kind of picked up the slow way of doing things from my father hence the use of manual burr grinder and pour over, but i need to face facts and unfortunately i do not have the time for it. So, i am aware that it means that i have to compromise the taste to some degree, i was hoping that you guys could help me minimize that taste loss but still had the desired features that i need.
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:19am

You could save some time with an electric burr grinder.  A refurb Baratza Preciso might be a good place to start.  There are a few decent auto-drip machines.  I really like the Technivorm but those run $300.  There are a few cheaper options that heat the water to the proper temperature.

There really isn't a machine that does everything and does it well.  A good autodrip machine would save you the time of babysitting the pour.  A good electric grinder would be faster than hand cranking.  These options can save you time without compromising quality.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:21am

AFIK, there is no machine that makes both espresso and drip.

knisse Said:

3) Difficult to say, this isn't exactly about the minutes, the important factor is that i am able to just start the machine and then i can hit the morning shower while the coffee is brewing meanwhile. The pour-over kind of needs my constant presence.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

FWIW, you did say in your first post you were having trouble with your morning rush...which is why I included questions related to time in my response.

Options I would consider to save time, while maintaining quality are: 1) investing in a really good drip machine, such as the Behmor Brazen...then either sticking with the manual grinder or getting a Baratza Encore or Virtuoso though I've never used either, so I can only recommend them based on reputation here on CG); and 2) getting an Aeropress (which makes excellent coffee similar to your moka pot) and an electric grinder, such as one of the above perhaps, or even a Baratza Preciso (which would enable you to make espresso down the road without having to upgrade your grinder, if you decide to pick up an espresso machine); 3) getting an Espro press (which I know to be excellent) or an Impress (which looks good on paper to me).  

A good electric kettle with adjustable temp control or heating water in the microwave might save you a little time too, and allow you to do it without worrying about leaving a kettle going on your stovetop while you shower.

Hopefully, you'll get some other ideas, as there are sure to be more options to consider.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Intrepid510

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:06am

knisse Said:

Hi everyone

I need some keen advice. Right now i own the Hario kettle & the V-1 pour over. Combined with the Zassenhaus brasilia hand burr grinder. The coffee taste is great, but i am having troubles with the morning rush to get the coffee made, especially if i need to make several cups for others.

What i am looking for, if possible. Is a coffee machine that can do the following:
*Take whole beans, (a coffee grinder that is built in)
*Since i want to replace my entire lineup with this single device, it need to able to just boil water for a cup of tea.
*The taste, it needs to be on reasonable par with my current gear. I know this is difficult to measure,

And some extra requirements that would be nice, but not deciding factors.
*Nice looking, not a hugh chunky piece of steel.
*Able to make a reasonable espresso.
*Reasonable price.

Is this a possible task?

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Nope, espresso and drip? Not gonna happen.

You could get an espresso machine like the Breville Dual Boiler and make an Americano. However you would need a at least a Preciso and even buying entirely refurb'd you would set back 1100 dollars or so.

The Breville You Brew might work for you. The Burr grinder in it is one of those small flat burrs that sound like screaming banshees, however people seem to like it. However, it would not make boiling water for your tea.

You could get a Bunn Trifecta that would make both coffee and tea, but you would still need a grinder too. Also that would be about 700ish all together.

On the cheap. Get a Baratza Encore or Virtuoso, a clever dripper and an electric kettle. In the morning have your coffee already measured for a full batch in the clever dripper, turn on kettle, grind coffee, set up coffee and tea cup. Pour water in set timer for 4 minutes walk away. Come back at the end of timer remove tea and drain coffee. Total hands on time should be just a few minutes while you are getting ready.

Coffee Pots if you want to go that route there is a Bonavita @ 150ish for thermal 120ish Glass. Bunn phase brew @ 100ish. Brazen @ 200ish.

You might just fine with a electric grinder too and your current set up.

Less water, more grounds.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 7:20pm

I would second the Bonavita because it's really the best deal for the price.

I have owned several machines in the past that had built in grinders. All were blades. I understand Capresso has made one with a Burr grinder but I've pretty much outgrown that stage of my coffee making. That said, we have a super-automatic (with a burr grinder) at work that makes drinkable coffee however, you're talking several thousands of dollars for the equivalent. We have a very old never been refurbished Jura. My daughter's beau's boss bought some other brand and he says it's pretty crappy. It's something I never heard of, but he wanted to go cheap, and cheap is what he got.

But the Bonavita makes a decent brew. You can hand grind your beans or get a decent burr grinder. Don't replace your set up, supplement it. Continue with your hand pour for special beans or occasions.

GOod luck

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
knisse

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 2:06am

Thanks everyone.

I went to a good coffee machine store in Denmark and tried to taste a few. Unfortunately, unless i was willing to pay what is equivalently to around 900$ i would get something that was not good enough for me.

But, with that being said - it is possible to get a good machine that makes both espresso and drip coffee, but it will cost you.
For now, i will continue with my Hario, and just make it work somehow. And then perhaps reconsider this in the future.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it possible...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272722005844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+