Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Unexpected
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Unexpected  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:19am
Subject: Unexpected

View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 6:18pm
Subject: Re: Unexpected Savory Taste in Coffee?

I have tasted that taste in coffee.

In La Esmeralda. That's exactly how I have described it. And one of the reasons I don't like it.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:04am

Dear NetP,

I second your sensation of umami in coffee.  This is from my post "TJS: Washington DC, Northern Virginia, Fairfax County, Arlington, Vienna" last year:

At Modern Times Coffeehouse (early Sunday morning enter through the back door of the Politics and Prose Bookstore that houses it) they were pulling Destroyer by Ceremony on their La Marzocco Linea.  It had a sharp nose and tasted toasty, then blackberry, then cinnamon and then finished with an unusual flavor: it had a beefy, cheesy, proteinaceous quality about it in common with an aspect of the taste of soy sauce; I want to call it an umami note.  I never experienced anything like that before.  All-in-all, a good cup.  Their croissants were the smallest that I have ever seen.  They were crispy but only slightly flaky, almost bready.  The flavor was nondescript.

I think taste receptor physical chemistry is too complex to assume only a few moieties will trigger an impulse without a lot of side-chain and aromatic overlap.  Add to that tastes that we learn to taste through association.

Oddly enough, the Java Sojourner is in Baltimore even as I type.  He is planning a trip down to Annapolis to visit Ceremony Roasters.  Your post has suggested to him that he might pick up some Destroyer and give it a second tasting.  Want any?

Buckley
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:17am

This thread is definitely relevant and worth reading through:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

File it under "barnyard," maybe? ;)
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 9:43am

Umami and Barnyard are quite different 'flavors'. These have been in flavor notes for a while.  

FWIW, I roasted 20lbs of that Klatch Worka over the last year. (just finished the last of it). It has been one of the cleanest DP Ethiopians I've had in years. DP always benefit from extra defect sorting, and there are still defect beans that make it to an occasional cup.  (it gives you something to blame when you pull an off shot.....)
I really have enjoyed roasting and working with this coffee, mostly as a 50% blend component. It has the sweetest clean fruit aroma during drying and  does well from City+ through Full City. Maybe I got lucky with my bags; I've never noted 'barnyard' or anything close to feces in the cup. Hope I can get such a great Ethiopian in the coming crop season.  I still pine for Idido Misty Valley.
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 11:37am

I agree there's a distinction to be made (between umami and barnyard), but there's a little overlap between those two categories, too, IMO. Anyway, glad you like the Worka. That Idido Misty Valley was something! Nothing savory about it from what I remember--just blueberries galore.
Frost
Frost

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:33pm

I think of umami as 'broth', like beef or the miso is a good  analogy. Barnyard I have tasted more in wine, but not so much like 'manure' as earthy compost and hay; literally like a barnyard. I think Barnyard is a more complex descriptor.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 5:05am
Subject: ...

jbviau
jbviau

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 6:50am

I find this interesting, but apologies for introducing the tangent. The last thing I'll say about the distinction we're now discussing is that "cheese" straddles the fence between the two terms for me. Of course, it depends somewhat on the cheese. ;) Anyhoo...

Back to "savory," the coffees I most associate with it are Kenyas. I've had a few in the past that were definitely brothy and/or stewed tomato-y.

I love when these sorts of unexpected sensory connections crop up. Memories of specific aromas and tastes can be so strong!
Frost
Frost

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:29pm

I thought of this post yesterday when I was roasting. A couple of El Salvador Bourbons; El Rubi Honey and La Montanita, when going through the Drying phase, Bean temp 280-290F and ET 350F, had a distinct beefy/meaty aroma.  At lower temps the smell is grassy, then above 300F the nose goes to the toasty/browning.  I don't get those notes in the finished roast or brew with these coffees though.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Unexpected  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259192943573)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+