Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Who understands water?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Who understands...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 8:01pm
Subject: Re: Who understands water?

The 0.1 gram figure I gave you assumes that the calcium chloride is in its dihydrate form, since that's the most commonly available form. I don't think it will absorb any more water. It's pretty soluble, so just stir it in.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 1:42pm

Okay, I took a quick stab at it.

250g of distilled water in one cup, 250g of distilled water + 25mg each of table salt and calcium chloride in a second cup.
I randomized them so I didn't know which water was which and then brewed two cups of coffee, sequentially.

They both tasted pretty good, at least to my not so sensitive palate.

Then I equalized their temperatures and mixed up the cups so I didn't know which I'd brewed first.
As they cooled I detected a subtle but distinct acidic, almost metallic, "tang" to one of them. That's it.

That one turned out to be the one brewed with distilled water.

I'm not convinced yet.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 2:38pm
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:55pm

Netphilosopher Said:

One of my descriptors was your explanation - a "tang" (to me it's like the just-barely-detectable tang of a spent 9-volt battery) to distilled water brewed coffee.  It seems to be worse at higher strengths.  I never tried espresso with it, but most noticeable with water brew ratios stronger than 8 (water to brew coffee).

What brew ratio are you using?  

Convinced of what, by the way?  Not sure what you were trying to determine.

With my wife, I find it doesn't take very much hard water mixing to make the tang go away.  Only 50g of 300ppm hardness water in 450g of distilled seems to tame the tang.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

A 9-volt battery? Then maybe I was tasting what you and your wife tasted.

I was wondering if the strength made a difference but I was guessing it might go in the other direction. My usual brew ratio is about 9.5 so I get a little over 2% TDS out of the Aeropress.

What I'm not convinced of is, well, anything really. Just two cups of coffee and one taster, it's a lone data point in a sea of possibilities.

What I want to know is whether ammending my tap water will have a positive effect that I can perceive. Supposedly 150ppm TDS is the ideal, based on what some group of people can actually taste. But if 30ppm is enough to eliminate the only objection one might have to brewing with soft water then perhaps I wasted $2 on that package of calcium chloride.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 1:04pm

I did another taste test, this time with 6 cups of coffee.

6 lots of water: 2x distilled; 2x tap; 2x distilled with added salts as before

I mixed up the cups of water (with hidden marks) so that I didn't know which was which when I brewed.
I brewed 6 cups sequentially, tasting each as I brewed them.
I tried to detect the "tang" or anything distinctly different but my perceptions did not correlate with the water type.

Then I let the cups cool, mixed them up so I didn't know which was which, reheated them, and tasted them again.
I still could not tell which was brewed with which water.

If there was a difference to be tasted in these six cups, I couldn't do it.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Who understands...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22327208519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+