Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
help me refine my process.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > help me refine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:42am
Subject: Re: help me refine my process.

Excerpt from the 2011 review "Reducing Sodium in Foods: The Effect on Flavor" in the journal Nutrients:

When two compounds with different taste qualities are mixed, a number of interactions may occur, including non-monotonic (both enhancement and suppression) and asymmetrical intensity shifts . In food matrices, sodium salts may influence other taste qualities independent of intensity/concentration. For example, it has been suggested that saltiness is suppressed at high concentrations of of NaCl and KCL, but enhanced at low concentrations of NaCl and KCl saltiness . Salt and sour taste mixtures symmetrically affect each otherís intensity with enhancement at low intensities/concentrations and suppression or no effect at high intensities/concentrations . Bitterness is suppressed by sodium at all intensities/concentrations, while salt taste is less affected by bitterness. Sodium enhances sweetness at low intensities/concentrations, has variable effects through the moderate intensity/concentration range, and is suppressive or has no effect on sweetness at higher intensity/concentration. Sweetness suppresses salty taste at moderate intensities . Figure 3 shows a schematic overview of binary interactions of taste qualities at different levels of concentrations. These schematic reviews are just indications of what happens to taste qualities when two are mixed. Variations, depending on the food matrix, may occur.

Interactions between tastes get more complex when three taste qualities interact, or when more complex food matrices are involved . Breslin et al. investigated the interaction between sodium (salt), sucrose (sweet) and urea (bitter) in a mixture. They found that perceived bitterness is suppressed when sodium is added to a bitter-sweet mixture. Due to the decreased perceived bitterness, perceived sweetness increased. The latter was a result of the bitterness being less able to reduce perceived sweetness. This interaction takes place at a cognitive level. These findings are in line with Gillette et al. , who suggested that addition of NaCl to three soups decreased bitterness and increased sweetness. Similarly, Fuke and Konosu reported that addition of umami tasting sodium salts of 5'-ribonucleotides reduced bitterness and increased sweetness in an artificial prawn extract. Pangborn, who has been recognized as one of the most influential researchers in the area of taste interaction , performed a series of experiments in the early 1960s investigating sucrose, citric acid and NaCl taste interrelationships. Several different food matrixes were used, e.g., pear nectar tomato juice and lima bean puree . The results from the food matrix mirrored those in simple aqueous media , and from other studies .

jpender: taste_interactions.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:03pm
Subject: .

IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:52pm

This is all somewhat interesting but WAY off topic.
If he upgrades his grinder, uses fresh beans his problem is solved. Period.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:08am

IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:41am

Netphilosopher Said:

So:

Apparently not good enough?

I just think that maybe we do a disservice to new members by telling them they immediately have to spend $150 or more on a grinder and buy $1/oz coffee that was roasted THIS WEEK (and toss it immediately when it becomes 15 days old), or buy a $400 home roaster and start roasting their own coffee just to enjoy a decent press pot at home.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

While you are,. of course entitled to your opinion I totally disagree. The Mr Coffee is NOT an adequate grinder, it IS important to make the grinder the centerpiece of your brew system, and freshly roasted coffee is MILES better than supermarket coffee (emanating from green beans  that wouldn't even be roasted by a reputable roaster)

Press pot is especially susceptible to bitter brew results when a grinder produces too many fines.
There are several $125 grinders that would produce a grind uniform enough for Press Pot coffee. No one here is saying spend $400 for drip and press pot grinding.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 5:42pm

msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:19pm

Ran across video of Mr. Coffee Burr grinder on YouTube so watched....  sure enough it was very inconsistent and produced tons of fines.

So much is to be considered when trying to make good coffee and the grinder IS the centerpiece IMHO.

HOWEVER I ran into a lady from Louisiana who LOVED her FP coffee.....  grinding 'not so fresh' dark roasted beans in a Cuisinart blade grinder. I was familiar w/brand of beans she gets and this roaster does a limited selection----all dark to very dark roasts. Said she stocks up, pours 1 bag into a canister on her counter, throws the rest into her freezer in original bags. Obviously she was happy with her coffee results in her cup BUT I have to consider it was from very dark roasted beans.

IMAWriter and Netphilosopher.....   I see where both you guys are coming from BUT I'll side with GRINDER importance. Wish the OP had researched, put that $50 into an Encore.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > help me refine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238138914108)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+