Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Subscription coffee storage
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Subscription...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Subscription coffee storage

Hey calblacksmith,

Your way of freezing sounds great to me. FIRST, am I correct in assuming your "zip top freezer bags" are the ones referred to as "slider bags" on that major brands' box? Yours have the little slider thingy, rite? Other brand requires pressing hard between fingers (as sliding across to close) and I would think those would not be as easy to close up as well. ALSO, do you put multiple small bagged amounts inside a larger freezer bag OR do you double bag the small ones and toss in freezer? LASTLY, is it OK to use a regular frig freezer as long as they're put in the bottom area (freezing no longer than 2.5 to 3wks max)?

I keep apprx 3-4 days of beans for current use in a cool, dark cabinet and grind only when ready to brew.

Appreciate your valued opinion!
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:03pm

Forgot to ask.....  Can you re-use the zip bags? If so how many times or for how long?
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:20pm

msboo, I do as calblacksmith does, just ziplock bags. I don't think the closure mechanism matters because the plastic itself is porous to air. One thing you can try is packing them into a tight spot in the freezer (or wrapping them with rubber bands) to minimize the amount of air they fill with. To be honest I don't know how much that matters though.

I reuse the bags until they look damaged.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:26pm

Yes to reuse if not damaged.
I try to not use brand name but if you must know, I use Ziplock and no they do not have the slider thing. I think the slider is the weak link in the seal to get it fully closed.
The bottom of a fridge/freezer is not ideal but is better than nothing, I make a month or so just fine in the bottom of my side by side. A chest freezer is best though.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 6:49pm

jpender AND calblacksmith....  many thanks for the freezer bag info. I'll certainly use the type bags W/O the slider thing---makes sense when you think about it.

I mentioned putting it in the bottom of the freezer because I thought that might be the best place in a regular frig-freezer----is it better to store higher up or were you just stating what you did due to best freezer storage being in a chest type? My frig-freezer is a side by side as well.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:14am

I think he meant that a chest freezer is better because your typical fridge/freezer is frost-free and that means it goes through heating cycles to remove the frost.

How long will you be storing your beans in the freezer?
msboo

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 7:45pm

Jpender.....  I'll probably buy enough for 1 months' use. I know it's far better to freeze roasted beans in a chest freezer but wondered if freezing for 3-4 weeks would be OK in a typical residential frig-freezer. Since I don't have a chest freezer, I have to wonder if putting beans in freezer bags (air squeezed out) then into canning jars would provide a little better protection (in a standard kitchen frig-freezer).
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Subscription...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221659183502)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+