Coffee: Questions and Answers
I don't taste it.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > I don't taste...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MikeSD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:20am
Subject: I don't taste it.

I've been buying green coffee from SM for a while and roasting it myself.  I feel like I've been getting better at roasting to the point of being able to make a decent (and in some cases even good) cup of coffee.  Now, however, I'm running into a new "problem".  

I read the descriptions of the various coffees I've roasted talking about notes of apple or mandarin, or whatever, and I don't taste any of it.  Sometimes I will taste a bit of the sweetness they talk about, but that's about it.  How do I get better at this?  Are some people just more sensitive to taste than others?  Is there a way to improve my palate?  I've been brewing using a pourover set up.  Might it help to switch to a press?  I'm sure this as been asked before, but I haven't been able to find it in the search.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:42am
Subject: Re: I don't taste it.

I've never gotten taste like descriptions say, even if pulling at their exact specifications for temp, dose etc. I can generally just tell good shots from bad, and some of the deeper more chocolaty ones I guess you could say, bright coffees all taste the same to me. I've never understood how someone could taste "hints of chocolate with lavender on top of melted brown sugar with orange blossoms and rose petals wrapped up in a maple pancake" ;) if you know what I mean lol.

However I'm good with micro brews so go figure.
MikeSD

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:45am

CMIN Said:

I've never gotten taste like descriptions say, even if pulling at their exact specifications for temp, dose etc. I can generally just tell good shots from bad, and some of the deeper more chocolaty ones I guess you could say, bright coffees all taste the same to me. I've never understood how someone could taste "hints of chocolate with lavender on top of melted brown sugar with orange blossoms and rose petals wrapped up in a maple pancake" ;) if you know what I mean lol.

However I'm good with micro brews so go figure.

Posted February 14, 2013 link

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm the same with micro brews and wines, as well.  Maybe its the temperature?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 8:52am

MikeSD Said:

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm the same with micro brews and wines, as well.  Maybe its the temperature?

My machine has a PID built in for accurate temp adjustments, but what machine do you have?

I'm the same, I can totally break down a micro brew or wine... but with coffee, generally I just taste whether it's a bad or good one lol. The only notes that really come out to me in certain beans are deeper ones like some chocolate/nutty notes, just had a Nicaraguan that was pretty nutty and good. But bright coffees all taste exactly the same to me, but that twang isn't what I would consider oranges, lime, lemons, peaches, strawberries, cherries etc lol. I had some one pull a shot for me and asked how awesome it was since it's full of cherry and berry flavors and is his favorite, I was just like uhhh ok it's just twangy to me, nothing like cherries lol
MikeSD

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:18am

CMIN Said:

My machine has a PID built in for accurate temp adjustments, but what machine do you have?

I'm the same, I can totally break down a micro brew or wine... but with coffee, generally I just taste whether it's a bad or good one lol. The only notes that really come out to me in certain beans are deeper ones like some chocolate/nutty notes, just had a Nicaraguan that was pretty nutty and good. But bright coffees all taste exactly the same to me, but that twang isn't what I would consider oranges, lime, lemons, peaches, strawberries, cherries etc lol. I had some one pull a shot for me and asked how awesome it was since it's full of cherry and berry flavors and is his favorite, I was just like uhhh ok it's just twangy to me, nothing like cherries lol

I meant just coffee/espresso being hot might have something to do with being able to taste it. Like maybe I don't put it on certain parts of my tongue when its hot.  I know know.  I don't have an espresso machine.  I just do pour over for now.
CheapBastid

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:44am

I'm a recent fan of coffee (never enjoyed the taste in my younger years) and a recent explorer into methods and nuance.  For years I've 'doctored' my coffee with syrup and cream until it resembles melted coffee ice-cream.

I'd heard about 'berry' flavors in coffee and figured I'd never taste them, but my first Aeropress cup of Intelligencia smacked me right in the face with berries.  Freaked me the f*$% out!
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:49am

I think I get the difference between citrus fruits, 'woody' fruits (apple, pear), soft fruits (raspberry, strawberry etc) and stone fruits (plum, peach etc.), when they are heavily pronounced, but I'm not sure I could specify which exact fruit, and I've not tried this in blinded test.  Different tastes certainly come forward in coffee as it cools, or at different strengths, or with different brew methods.  Roast and profile are also a factor there too.

The SM descriptions are based on standard cupping rather than a brew method that you'd use for coffee you intend to drink, so it's not surprising that there's some difference there.  I think if you want to try and find those flavors you should try and get two similar coffees which only differ in e.g. the fruit description, and then cup them against each other.  You could also get samples of the relevant fruit and taste those against each other as well.

There's also the SCAA box of flavor oils that provide pure "calibration" samples of the flavor components often used to describe coffee if you really wanted to be test things out ;)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 3:50pm

MikeSD Said:

I've been buying green coffee from SM for a while and roasting it myself.  I feel like I've been getting better at roasting to the point of being able to make a decent (and in some cases even good) cup of coffee.  Now, however, I'm running into a new "problem".  

I read the descriptions of the various coffees I've roasted talking about notes of apple or mandarin, or whatever, and I don't taste any of it.  Sometimes I will taste a bit of the sweetness they talk about, but that's about it.  How do I get better at this?  Are some people just more sensitive to taste than others?  Is there a way to improve my palate?  I've been brewing using a pourover set up.  Might it help to switch to a press?  I'm sure this as been asked before, but I haven't been able to find it in the search.

The Force must be strong within you to to sense the notes you reference.  If the good side (formally known as the "Light Side") is strong within you, citrusy notes will surface;  if the Dark Side is more prevalent then you will sense the more savory notes such as "leather" and "chocolate".

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeSD

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 6:34pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

The Force must be strong within you to to sense the notes you reference.  If the good side (formally known as the "Light Side") is strong within you, citrusy notes will surface;  if the Dark Side is more prevalent then you will sense the more savory notes such as "leather" and "chocolate".

Len

LOL.  So I'm Darth Vader?  I can taste the more chocolately side of things, at least some.  I guess my metachlorian level is a bit low.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 8:53am

MikeSD Said:

Mike?

Part One:

a) Do you currently enjoy the way your coffee tastes? (If so, move on to "b"; if not, move on to "c".)
b) Then what difference does it make?
c) Then change the way you prepare your coffee.

Part Two:

Mike, what does chocolate taste like?  I've never had it; describe its taste to me.

Go ahead.  I'll wait.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
"Chocolate.  Ah, it's creamy."
So, it tastes like drinking unwhipped whipping cream?
"Well, it's sweet."
So it's like honey?
"Well, it's bitter, too."
Like tea that's been steeped too long?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
See?  You can't do it.

This is the EXACT same issue I would confront every day as a wine writer, professional wine judge, wine educator, etc.  You cannot describe a taste.  You can only provide an analogy to something else.  The coffee does NOT taste of "apple" or "mandarin"; "blueberry" or  "lemon peel" -- BUT . . . there is a aromatic or flavor note of something reminiscent of the aroma or flavor of apples, etc.  In other words, something in the wine/coffee/whatever reminded the taster of an apple (or other component).

It matters not if YOU "get it."  What matters is only that you LIKE what's in the cup!  

The more you taste, the more you read the descriptors . . . IF the author(s) is/are consistent . . . then you'll find that those descriptors may be valuable in deciding what new coffees (or wines) to try.  If you find that you prefer coffees often described as "bright" or "citrusy," rather than coffees described as "chocolately" or "leathery," then when a new unknown-to-you coffee comes along described using words you like/don't like, you'll know whether or not it's worth trying . . . .

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > I don't taste...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307933807373)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+