Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Whole beans to ground ratio after grinding?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Whole beans to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Iceycold

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 9:18am
Subject: Whole beans to ground ratio after grinding?

Hey all, have a simple question. Today I think I made my first good cup of coffee, grinded the beans with a fairly cheap blade grinder but the taste was defintely greater than just pre-ground coffee. I'm using Eight O' Clock whole bean medium roast.

So I googled this exact question and the answer came up: "1 tbsp beans = 2 tbsp ground". I tried this today however my coffee seemed like mostly water after using  6oz to brew. (I really only like to drink 6oz in the morning).

So I dumped that and used 2 tbsp beans instead and that produced lots more ground, came out pretty well, so I'm guessing this is a good ratio to use?

Here's my coffee: Click Here (www.amazon.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:17am
Subject: Re: Whole beans to ground ratio after grinding?

You might find this brewing ratio chart helpful.
click here
Iceycold

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 12:14pm

I've seen that one before but it doesn't say the whole beans to ground ratio.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 1:14pm

Use a scale to weigh the beans and a ratio will not matter in addition to having a more consistent volume.
Ditch the supermarket coffee and get a good grinder and the step up you just saw will be 10X larger and for the better.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iceycold

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 3:57pm

So you're saying beans to ground is always a 1:1 ratio? (So 2 tbsp bean = 2 tbsp ground). Today I used this, and it came out perfect for 6 oz cup.

I would use a scale, but it's kinda of annoying, easier to just use a measuring spoon.

Would this be a better grinder? Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Keep in mind, I'm the coffee with creamer every morning type. I rarely drink more than 6 oz at a time. Don't want to waste so much money on something I only enjoy every morning. Like I said today was definitely a step in the right direction with grinding them, it was SO good.
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:00am

He's not saying that.
Grinding the beans creates lots of little pieces, with gaps between - this means they will take up more room (e.g. 2 tbsp) but they will weigh the same as what you began with (ignoring anything left behind in the grinder!)
Basically, do it by weight, ignore your tbsp measurements altogether! If you really can't be bothered to do weight, then keep your grind settings the same and pay attention to how much you are dosing...

Yes! The link to the burr grinder you posted will make a great difference!!

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:42am

No that grinder is a fake burr grinder and it will perform the same as the whirly blade thing that is sold as a grinder.
For other than espresso, this grinder will take care of all your needs at a reasonable price.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:09am

AntWilliams90 Said:

Grinding the beans creates lots of little pieces, with gaps between - this means they will take up more room (e.g. 2 tbsp) but they will weigh the same as what you began with (ignoring anything left behind in the grinder!)

Posted February 4, 2013 link

Actually the ratio is pretty close to 1:1 for loosely packed beans and grounds. If you shake or pack the coffee it will change the density so you need to be consistent in how you measure to get consistent results. Also, the density can vary a lot from one type of coffee to the next, easily by 30%. This is why a scale is more accurate.

If you always use the same brand/type of mass produced coffee, weigh a measured volume at least once to determine the density, and consistently measure volumes the same way each time then you should do okay.
Iceycold

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 1:21pm

Yeah, makes perfect sense because when I used 1 tbsp beans to 2tbsp ground it came out to be very weak. 2tbsp beans to 2tbsp powder seems about perfect for me. If I'm going by grams, what is the measure? According to this chart someone linked me: http://blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83 I should use 10.6 grams of ground for a 6 oz cup, how much would that be in beans, or is that up to the coffee itself and requires me to actually experiment?
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 1:58pm

Since measuring whole beans by the tablespoon is going to be very inaccurate its probably not worth worrying too much about the actual density. Ballpark bean density is 0.4 g/ml which translates into 1.8 tablespoons for 10.6g of coffee. So 2 tablespoons sounds about right, as long as you don't mind the variation you're likely to get from brew to brew. I'd take a guess and say that you're probably not measuring your water very accurately either.

Are you sure you don't want to use a scale?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Whole beans to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261111974716)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+