Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Store bought beans; Which way am I better off?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Store bought...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
nolken

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:48pm
Subject: Re: Store bought beans; Which way am I better off?

I've heard they were pretty good, but of course they are nowhere around here. I went to every store that sells coffee that i know of in this area, and all they had was starbucks, eight o'clock and the private selection one from kroger. everything else was ground.
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 8:45pm

Ok, so you have a Kroger there but no Dunkin on the shelf?  See if anyone posts about the others I mentioned.  Guess that just leaves 8 O'Clock or the Private Selection, right?
nolken

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 8:51pm

there is no whole-bean DD, there is only ground DD. so yeah there is only private selection and 8 o'clock.
msboo

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 9:43pm

It's possible that Kroger would allow you to return the Private Selection IF it was not good (to your liking) since it's their store brand.  Don't know about the 8 O'Clock but wouldn't hurt to ask.  IF you end up not finding whole bean that you like then your only alternative IS pre-ground.  Years ago, when I used to drink Maxwell House and/or Folgers, I actually had fairly good luck with those in my French press----didn't know what I was doing at the time either.  I drank those brands daily brewed in a brewer that didn't reach temp range for proper extraction-- they turn out better brewed at lower temps.  As of 2009-2010 both those brands actually changed what they use in their ground coffees.  Maxwell House used to be 100% Aribica but not anymore, can't remember exactly what was said about Folgers but similar---these companies cut their quality to stay competitive, still make profit.  Prices have increased while quality decreased.  That's what drove me to drink better tasting coffee.  Keep checking back here for more comments---who knows, someone may have tried one of those brands in whole bean.  I wish you luck in coffee AND school.

BTW, did you get a new Baratza or a refurb?  Oh, is there a Walmart close by?  Maybe someone will comment on Seattle's Best and/or Green Mountain.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:07pm

Is there some reason you can't order good beans from an online roaster?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
rabbit

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:44pm

the 8 oclock would be the best try....
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 7:16am

Why can't you order beans online? Store bought coffee isn't really any cheaper, actually sometimes more expensive then fresh roasted order online. I mean Starbucks at my Publix is like $14 for a 12oz bag os stale ass coffee lol. One place I order from will fresh roast and ship 2lbs of beans for about 20 bucks, so a few more dollars means more beans and waaaaaaay higher quality.

Where in Missouri do you live, b/c I did a quick search online and found a bunch of roasters around, or shops that carry beans fresh roasted
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 7:43am

Unless you are very VERY VERY lucky, you will not get anything even close to fresh off the shelf in a supermarket. For quality coffee, properly roasted, $1 per oz is a fair starting point, sorry about that. You can't expect to be eating lobster in a Mc Donnalds  Fish sandwitch.

Anything less and you are asking which is better Mc D or Jack in the box, neither is all that great but they will fill your belly iif it is empty but don't expect to be eating Five star food either.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 8:17am

CMIN.....  You're right, I wasn't thinking but YES brands in groceries ARE sold per 12oz NOT by the lb BUT Kroger puts them on sale quite often---I was keeping Nolkin's budget in mind, hoping there might be something fairly exceptable there.  The 2lbs you got for $20---w/be great value for Nolkin.  Having a local roasterI've not yet ordered online myself.
nolken

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:04am

CMIN Said:

Why can't you order beans online? Store bought coffee isn't really any cheaper, actually sometimes more expensive then fresh roasted order online. I mean Starbucks at my Publix is like $14 for a 12oz bag os stale ass coffee lol. One place I order from will fresh roast and ship 2lbs of beans for about 20 bucks, so a few more dollars means more beans and waaaaaaay higher quality.

Where in Missouri do you live, b/c I did a quick search online and found a bunch of roasters around, or shops that carry beans fresh roasted

Posted January 23, 2013 link

i'm in mid-mo, the closest roaster to me is over 100 miles away. starbucks by me is $8/12 oz, 8 o'clock is $6/11 oz.

my original post stated why i can't buy online.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Store bought...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253249168396)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+