Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Store bought beans; Which way am I better off?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Store bought...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
nolken

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:45pm
Subject: Store bought beans; Which way am I better off?

So I ordered a Bodum press and a Baratza grinder recently, but find myself in a dilemma of what beans to buy and where to buy them. I haven't used either, so I'm considering returning them after reading how many speak of the coffee I have available to me. I'm currently in school, and recently discovered quality coffee, and the wonderful effects that caffeine has on my focusing ability. Now there are no roasters within a 100 mile radius of me, and there are no places to buy coffee other than the grocery stores. Well there is a coffee shop here that sells their blends, but I can't afford the $1.20 per ounce they charge.

So the question,
Am I better off just getting the cheap beans with no grinder in a cheap brewer, or with cheap(er) beans with a good grinder in a french press? Literally the ONLY whole-bean coffee that is available in my area is Starbucks, 8 o'clock and Kroger Private Selection. Starbucks taste like charcoal, but I haven't tried the others. I can't really afford the online roasters, I can only do $.80 per ounce max.

I've been searching the forums for days, and my searches seem to cause me more questions than answers. People seem to not even consider store-bought coffee (for understandable reasons), but that is my only option. I don't drink a lot, so there is no bulk buying for me. I drink about 12 fl oz on an average day, maybe 64 fl oz per week. I'm sure that will increase, but now as a beginning coffee drinker that is where I'm at. This in turn makes internet buying an expensive option for me considering my price:shipping ration is greater.

Thanks in advance for the help,  I'm new to anything other than Folgers :)
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Store bought beans; Which way am I better off?

First of all, your goal should be to find what you like, or at least what is acceptable-tasting within your budget.  Don't worry about what other people think.

Having said that, you should experiment a little bit with different beans as that will give you a much better answer than us guessing for you.  If you can afford a good grinder, that will certainly be a better way to go, as grinding whole beans is almost always better than using pre-ground.  Consider manual grinders as these are not as expensive (~$40) and give a consistent grind, but require that you take several minutes to grind out enough for a pot.  Do some research on the various manual grinders before you buy one.

A french press is also a good choice as you have control over both time and temperature-- some store beans may do better with lower temperature water to reduce bitterness.  A french press is also relatively cheap and lasts a long time; you may have to replace the filter mesh occasionally.  You have to like the french press style of coffee though: a bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup, and a heavier mouth feel.  If you get a manual grinder, be sure it does okay for french press (uses a coarser grind and some manual grinders don't do this well).

Beyond this, I would encourage you to occasionally stretch out and try something new, like getting a single small shipment of some specialty roast, or trying out a higher-end coffee from somewhere.  For me, I enjoy exploring and I don't always limit myself to snobbish conventions.  I want to taste bad stuff for myself and not rely on everyone else to do it for me.

Donald Varona
svyerkgeniiy

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 2:47pm

Oh!  and don't use a whirly-blade grinder for French Press; you can't make the grind consistent enough.  It might work for Aeropress, but I don't think you're leaning to that style of coffee.

Donald Varona
nolken

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 2:53pm

yeah actually i already bought a french press and the baratza encore grinder. I think i'll just stick with that and try to find some coffee that will work for me. I was mainly just wondering if that will do me better than just store bought ground coffee and a drip coffee maker, if it is worth the extra $150 or if i should just wait until i can get something better.
svyerkgeniiy

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:38pm

For what you are doing, the Baratza is a very good choice.  It will be fine for both drip and french press.

The problem with most drip coffee makers is that they don't heat the water hot enough (usually they get only to 185F or so, maybe less).  You may not taste much difference with a common low-temp drip maker, but you probably will tase it with high-temp water in the press.  It is easy to boil the water before you add it to the press-- although *technically* it should be 195F-205F, but I don't know how much that matters with store beans.  If you want it cooler, let it sit for a half minute or more before you pour.

I sometimes buy Starbucks or Peet's coffee beans in a pinch-- like when visiting family in central Georgia where I just don't have access to my normal kit.  I can put up with poor coffee as long as I have the right dairy and sugar-- gasp!  But I can only drink black coffee if it's my own home-roasted or from a high-end roaster that I know is fresh.  One problem I find with the shelf coffee is that it is inconsistent-- one bag will be reasonably good, while the other is stale; no expiration date in sight.  I have heard that Consumer Reports rated 8 O'Clock coffee highly, but that was with a non-coffeegeek mindset.

Donald Varona
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 5:43pm

This might be beyond what you have time for but you could get an air popper and roast your own (then it could be cheap and good).  Air popper at goodwill is about $2-$3.  Green beans are about .50-.70 per oz.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:44pm

RoyceRuiz Said:

This might be beyond what you have time for but you could get an air popper and roast your own (then it could be cheap and good).  Air popper at goodwill is about $2-$3.  Green beans are about .50-.70 per oz.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

I like how many of you guys out there enjoy roasting your own, but it tugs my chain when you push it on every newbie. It's not for everyone and is just as likely to chase people away as bring them to your side of the fence. I've been eschewing store bought coffee since before many of you born. I don't roast, and never will.

No offense intended cause your comment was milder than most it just was the straw to make me comment about this today.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nolken

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:02pm

cerridwyn Said:

I like how many of you guys out there enjoy roasting your own, but it tugs my chain when you push it on every newbie. It's not for everyone and is just as likely to chase people away as bring them to your side of the fence. I've been eschewing store bought coffee since before many of you born. I don't roast, and never will.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

yeah i'm not ready for roasting yet. I may look into it when i graduate, but even then I'll probably just buy roasted.

so what would you recommend I do? save money, suck it up and just do pre-ground and drip until I can afford the good coffee? or stick with what i have?
DragonOrta

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:44pm

If you can find Caribou Coffee around you, I would give that a try. They have some medium light roasts that seem to be be good for what they are.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:47pm

OK, although I buy from a good local roaster where I live I'm curious about whole bean coffee in grocery stores.    Has anyone here tried 8 O'Clock, Dunkin Donuts, John Conti or any other whole bean brands possibly available?  I know roast dates aren't on these, as I've checked them out.  I've heard Dunkin Donuts and 8 O'Clock Original is good whole bean but don't know from experience---wish I had tried so could give my opinion, sorry.  Nolkin already has a French press and has also invested in a nice grinder---can somebody offer some suggestions to help this young coffee drinker out?

I do hate to see anyone get something that ends up tasting bad but you have to start somewhere, especially when on a budget.  Hang in there, Nolkin.
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Store bought...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254616975784)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+