Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Built-in Grinder Coffee Drip machines
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Built-in Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
randyr

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 2grp FB70
Grinder: LM Swift, Mahkonig Guatemala
Drip: Fetco CBS-31AAP
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Built-in Grinder Coffee Drip machines

cerridwyn Said:

That's what I had thought.

I still have my first Melitta I bought and it is years old. We have one at work (bought new on eBay), and had one at the place I worked before. I even have a few spare parts. Grinder still works and it makes better coffee than the Mr Coffee with the free standing blade grinder for those who want that sort of brewed coffee.

Blade is in the filter basket, so comes out and is washed between uses.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

The Krups had a separate grinder above and at the back. You put a load of beans in the hopper the night before, turned on the timer, and 6am or whatever the beans got ground like a burr grinder: it had a convoluted funnel that the beans went in, so the beans didn't all go down into the grinder at once. The ground coffee dropped into the filter basket and I think it came with a permanent filter, or you could use a paper filter. It started brewing as the grinder finished, probably with a timer.
At the end of the brew cycle, it sent the last of the hot water and some steam through the funnel and the grinder to clean the last of the grinds out of it.
It made excellent coffee till it just stopped working after 2 or 3 months.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:45pm

randyr Said:

The Krups had a separate grinder above and at the back. You put a load of beans in the hopper the night before, turned on the timer, and 6am or whatever the beans got ground like a burr grinder: it had a convoluted funnel that the beans went in, so the beans didn't all go down into the grinder at once. The ground coffee dropped into the filter basket and I think it came with a permanent filter, or you could use a paper filter. It started brewing as the grinder finished, probably with a timer.
At the end of the brew cycle, it sent the last of the hot water and some steam through the funnel and the grinder to clean the last of the grinds out of it.
It made excellent coffee till it just stopped working after 2 or 3 months.

Aye, I had one of those. Thought the idea great, life expectancy useless.
I used to do epinions back in the day and went and read everything posted about it, the Cuisinart and the Melitta and bought the Melitta and was never sad. It's, as I said, years old and still works. I've outgrown making coffee that way, but the layout was more conducive to remaining functional.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HenryDadd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 8:05am

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  

Update on the Capresso: so far a big success.  grinder works, timer works, nothing gumming up, and - you will all laugh but - we are stunned at how good the coffee is.  Stunned.  Whether it was fresh coffee from newly ground beans or just the same Starbucks crap we'd been feeding the old machine, suddenly we have aroma and flavor and we actively enjoyed drinking our coffee in the morning again, instead of just "having" it while reading the paper and chewing down the cold cereal.  I guess water temperature makes a difference, eh?

This machine may or may not last, we may have future problems with it, whatever, but we are NEVER going back to those crappy $50 machines.  

There is nothing like rising up out of a deep sleep to the aroma of freshly brewed good coffee already in your room.  Our noses lead us out of bed and into the kitchen like some classic Loony Tunes cartoon.    

Thank you guys!  You've made our mornings.

Henry
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:17am

cerridwyn Said:

Aye, I had one of those. Thought the idea great, life expectancy useless.
I used to do epinions back in the day and went and read everything posted about it, the Cuisinart and the Melitta and bought the Melitta and was never sad. It's, as I said, years old and still works. I've outgrown making coffee that way, but the layout was more conducive to remaining functional.

I have a Melitta Mill and Brew that sounds like what you are describing - it does make a nice pot of coffee.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Built-in Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231739997864)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+