Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What beans are good quality and moderately priced?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What beans are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mkeller234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 2:49am
Subject: What beans are good quality and moderately priced?

I realize this is a pretty fundamental question, but I am really new to all of this.  

I'd like to know if there is a source for fresh, quality beans at low - moderate prices.  For example, I bought a small bag of Eight o'clock brand coffee for 6.99 at the grocery store.  The coffee had very little bloom, which I assume it indicates the coffee is not very fresh.  It does not seem like a good value for a small bag of coffee.  I can buy a similar sized bag at a local coffee shop that roasts, and the beans are obviously fresher and the prices are similar.

But, is there a decent, everyday option.  Maybe not the best bean, but perfectly serviceable and affordable?  Should I be looking online, are there other sources?
 View Profile Link to this post
mkeller234

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:17am
Subject: Re: What beans are good quality and moderately priced?

I am using a French Press, in case that info matters.  I used the coffee grinder at the store and was not very impressed with it.  I'm planning to buy an OE Lido grinder as soon as they are available.
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 10:11am

I would expect to pay $12/pound and up for quality roasted beans.   $16 and up is not unreasonable.  You can likely find cheaper but quality and uniformity may suffer.  That's my experience with good online roasters, anyway.  The local roasting shop you mention should certainly have fresh beans;  whether they are any good depends on where they get their green coffee from.

If you can make the initial investment, consider roasting your own;  excellent greens can be had for $6-$8/pound and again you can find cheaper if you're willing to gamble just a bit.  The roaster investment can be $hundreds or as low as a few bucks (air popper or heat gun roasting). There's more info online if you want to look into home roasting, for example sweetmarias.com.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:15pm

agree on those prices, with exception of Red Bird, which can be had at $51.70 for 5#s shipped. however, comparing any fresh decent coffee bean to 8:00 is worthless, as it's like asking someone to provide a good priced source for freshly squeezed orange juice, but using frozen minute maid as a reference.

You're going to love your Lido.  It's great for press!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 1:42pm

Every day coffee about $15 per pound, the good stuff, I have spent $70 for 12 oz.
Anything at $6.99 for 12 oz I would not expect much from.
Try our list of on line vendors. They all are good but, again, be prepared for $1 per oz and up.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mkeller234

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 5:24pm

Thank you everyone.  I just figured there might be some hidden bargains out there, but either way, it's always good to know.  I suppose good coffee isn't cheap, but even as a novice I can notice a pretty big difference.  

Want to know what my wife and I run through are bunn on a daily basis?  Aldi's Beaumont Classic roast; $5.90 for 2lbs and it tastes pretty awful.  The coffee can, which is paper, reads: 100% coffee.  That is really reassuring!

Home roasting is VERY interesting to me but I don't know if I am ready to get into that just yet, one step at a time.  Maybe i'll venture into that next year.  Those popcorn poppers at Sweet Marias drew my interest.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 6:51am

If you’re lucky there are some co-operatives that sell fresh roasted coffee for under $10 lb.  Expect to pay at least $10 for the good stuff unless you buy bulk.  Roasting is easy and green are pretty cheap.  I have even bought green for $4 lb. (not wholesale) Indian Robusta Cherry & Uganda coffee.  Very high in caffeine!!! :p
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 8:08am

Best bet is just to pickup fresh roasted coffee once a week or every two weeks from a local roaster, won't be much more then stores but way better quality. And if you can swing by you don't have to pay for shipping. Place in Miami that charges around $12-14 for 2lbs roasted to order, but I have it shipped to the house so usually about 20 bucks. Their volume roasting for restaurants and other places let's them offer lower prices, coffee is as good as any I've had (i.e. Klatch etc).

I don't know where in Ohio you live but Googled Ohio Coffee Roasters and quite a few popped up, one in Cleveland called Rising Star that got great reviews.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:54am

When ordering for the first time, order small lots. We had to remove a roaster from our list that we send people to. I took a visit to them and I don't know if they had changed their roasting or the person who vouched for them had bad taste buds! I walked into the shop where they roast and my stomach was turned by the stench of burnt coffee, the roast "master" said that they roasted dark because that is what all the restaurants wanted and they were his prime customers. He served me a double shot from a over temp thermoblock espresso machine. I choked it down to be pleasent, thanked him for his time and left, then I sent a letter to Jason and the vendor was removed.

Short story again, order small lots from a roaster for the first order.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:02pm

^ that...is excellent advice!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What beans are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315832138062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+